Skip to content
saline implants
Bpugone posted:
This is my first time posting anything anywhere! I have some questions about my implants. I've had a double mastectomy with 29 lymph nodes removed from my right side (the side with the cancer). Expanders were placed at the time of the surgery (hated them!). On Sept. 12, I had surgery to replace them with saline implants. They are much more comfortable than the expanders, but.... Every time I move my arms, hands, etc, my new "breasts" move, twitch, pucker - it's weird! It would be Very noticeable if someone were looking. Is tis normal? does it go away? Also, they're not shaped like I thought. They are very round, which is fine, but the center is flat so if I wanted to wear a bra (which I don't!) the center would not be filled out. I'll be seeing the PS tomorrow, but I wanted some input from you lovely ladies who have been through this. Her nurse told me (at my one week follow up) that the flabby ridges on the sides were always there (NOT) but I read on this forum that it's common after this surgery. Does anyone have feedback about my "dancing" breasts? I'm trying to be cute about it, but I'm really upset about it. Thanks!

brcansur responded:
Bpugone,
Hello and welcome, sorry to hear you are having some issues with your new implants. I too have saline implants but mine aren't round mine are shaped more like my breast before surgery with a little hang to them. I wasn't to happy about this either but my PS said he does this so they look more natual. I was hoping for a more round and perky breast after all that I had been through with dx and suregies. Well one hangs more then the other so they don't look even to me. I am told it is because of my scars one is under my breast due to the tumor being under the breast and having to take a lot of my skin. The other is across my breast that side didn't have any tumors at the time but had lumps removed years before so had it removed also. Mine also pucker some in odd places when I move my arms but I wear lose fitting tops so it can't be seen. I also have a indent on the left side that is the one the scar goes across the center of the breast to me it shows a lot and I can see it even wqhen I have a top on. If going anyplace nice or wearing a nice outfit or top I will wear a padded bra so that it doesn't show as much and the breast look more even. I hate haveing to do this but I feel more comfortable when out and don't feel like everyone can tell. I am told it will get better with time well it has been over a year now since the last implant was replaced. I had an infections due to what we think was a spider bite on my breast.Not due to the implant did not want to worry you.
So you are not alone with your feelings and not feeling they look right or feel right. They don't feel or look like we thought they would one because they aren't our breast from before dx. I am hoping that others on here will also share their stories with you there are others that have had some not so good feelings after their surgery also. We adjust and the breast settle down some after time. Mine are somewhat better then right after surgery but no they are not like my breast before all of this happened and never will be. That I think is what makes it so hard to adjust to the implants. I wish you all the best and please do let your doctor know your feelings and concerns about the feelings and loks of your new implants. I did and still do when I go in for my check ups. It is your right to let them know how you feel about them and what they look like and how they feel in your body. Oh and you will feel them in there till you get used to them that feeling does get better and after a while you wont notice it as much if at all. Have a good day angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

rachael67 responded:
I so admire your brave attempt to deal with this more lightly than your emotions might otherwise dictate! We often rely on a laugh or two to get us thru tough times...Amazing how it is sometimes most helpful. Please know, however, on this site putting on a good front isn't necessary as we appreciate how stressful much of this journey can be.

I am sorry that I cannot help you with your questions, but want to assure you that there are many, many ladies here who will chime in and share their own experiences. I do know that what I read here would often seem to indicate that saline implants might not offer quite so much "natural" appearances as the silicone. HOWEVER...I may not be correct! So, I, too, look forward to hearing from others on this issue.

I will be sending you good thoughts that you soon are helped. Please let us know how you are doing, and do come back with any questions, etc. Or come back when you simply wish to take off the "I'm doing wonderful" mask and vent! We're here for one another!!

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

Bpugone replied to brcansur's response:
Thank you so much for letting me know I am not alone! It helps! I spoke with the Dr. who said that it's normal for some pople to have movement since they are attached to the pectoral muscles, but she did admit that mine move & twitch a lot! I will see her again in 3 months, not sure what can be done... Thanks again, God Bless!

brcansur replied to Bpugone's response:
Bpugone,
Hello again I glad that you spoke to your doctor and find out that it is normal for them to move some because of the muscles and that yours are moving more then normal. At least now you know they are listening and you are not losing it. Plus they are going to check them out again in 3 months that is good. I am told it can take a year to two years for them to heal and settle all the way. I am hoping this is true for you and things start to look and feel better for you very soon like by your next appt. It is good that you stood your ground and asked why they are moving like that and feeling the way they do. Because you never know something could have been wrong. If you feel there still is something wrong speak up you have that right ! It is your body and only you know how it should feel. I do wish you all the best and hope things start looking up for you soon. I have had some ups and downs with my implants so if you have any other questions feel free to ask. Have a great day angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

mcbrie responded:
Hi. This too is my first time posting/replying anything anyway too. I had my double mastectomy with 15 lymph nodes removed in Feb. of this year and had expanders placed at the time of surgery also. To say I hated the expanders is an understatement. On Oct. 16 I my surgery to replace them I went with silicone implants. Already they feel lighter and softer but it's still early. I'm hoping for the best. My plastic surgeon has warned me about the possibility of ripples/ridges or puckering, she sent me to physical therapy to help reduce the skin from shrinking up too much, it's going to be tight no matter what, and to avoid lympnoma. I started physical therapy after the double and am doing again after this last surgery. Maybe that could help you. My tumor and lymphs were on the right side too. I am also going to start yoga. I just have to find a place that is trained to work with breast cancer patients. Also make sure the physical therapist is trained to work with breast cancer patients as well. I hope this has helped in some way. I know for me it has helped to share my story with someone who's gone/going through it. Hang in there and know that you are not alone. It sucks that we have to deal with this but we're women we just keep fighting the good fight it's what we do.

Helpful Tips

DIEP Flap Survival
Sept 7, 2012: Bilateral Mastectomy and immediate DIEP Flap reconstruction. I live in Washington, DC, area and have great insurance and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center