Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Lessening the effects of radiation / flushing radiation out? What helps?
An_248469 posted:
Yesterday, I received a CAT scan of my chest and abdomen. I'm in my 50s, and I've had two CAT scans in the past in the same area. I've also had excessive radiation exposure in my 20s when a Radiologist left the machine on for an extended time. I'm very concerned about getting new cancer from this CAT scan, since it's like getting 500 x-rays at once in addition to the radiation I've had in the past.

Since last night, I've taken the following meds...

Potassium Iodide
5g Fiber (soluble)
3g (37% Pectin) Grapefruit Pectin
20mg Resveratrol
Fish Oil - 675mg EPA, 450mg DHA
3000mg Spirulina
42mg Chlorophyll
1130mg Hawthorn Berries
5mg Melatonin
50mg Acai
125mg Green Tea
450mg Echinacea/Goldenseal Blend
GNC Womens Ultra Mega Active Multivitamin

I've also bought activated charcoal, and I'm planning to take that soon once the recent pills I've taken have had a chance to be absorbed.

My question is: what can I do to help flush out radiation I've received, repair damage to my body, prevent further damage, lessen the risk of cancer, etc... What can I do, take, eat, etc... that can help to lessen the negative effects of the radiation I've received? How long should I be taking them?

What meds/supplements/foods should I be taking and in what forms/doses? What's given to people accidentally exposed to radiation?

I've done a ton of searches online, hence the wide variety I've taken, but I just don't know what is likely to work or what may be unnecessary or even counteract the effects of other things I'm taking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

judyfams responded:
The list of "meds" you gave us are OTC supplements and not prescribed by a doctor.
Probably the reason why you could not find how to flush radiation out of the body is because radiation is not a substance that goes through the systems of the body -like chemo.
Radiation is an energy force that acts on the cells of the tumor/organ/body part that is being irradiated. An analogy would be you trying to "flush out" a bad sunburn. The skin is damaged by the UV rays and you cannot flush that out of the body.
The same is true for medical radiation. You cannot flush it out of the body.
You should try to build up your body through a healthy diest that has a good balance of fruits, vegetables, protein and carbohydrates and a good exercise program. A lifestyle change would probably bring you better overall health results than swallowing all those unregulated non-FDA approved supplements.
Judy

janelanemaine replied to judyfams's response:
From what I've been reading, though, antioxidants and certain other supplements can repair cell damage or help the body to heal. Anything that even gives a little bit of help, I want to try.

Are there certain supplements/foods/meds that people receiving radiation therapy take to lessen risks? Or things someone who's high-risk for cancer would take?

Thank you for responding.

judyfams replied to janelanemaine's response:
Please know that not all cells that have been damaged can be repaired.
Those supplements are more for cells that are slightly damaged from age or something less drastic than high frequency radiation.
So you are probably helping the healthy cells in your body from further damage or slowing down the cell damaging processes in the body - but severely damamged cells cannot be repaired.
Judy

rachael67 responded:
I can fully appreciate your concern regarding radiation and the damage that it can cause. It is sadly a factof life that some things which enhance life and health can also have side effects which do not! We do our best to reach a balance. Risk vs benefit. Despite this, we cannot help but be concerned. "Out of sight, out of mind" isn't necessarily true, right?

And though radiation can cause problems, it seems on the surface to me that your intense worry and concern might do even more damage! Stress is not a nice neighborhood...As urban decay lurks in dark, dank corners void of sunshine and clean air, worry can do much the same to us physically and emotionally.

Judy gave you some great advice: "try to build up your body through a healthy diet that has a good balance of fruits, vegetables, protein and carbohydrates and a good exercise program." If you also wish to add some of these supplements in an effort to help keep you stronger and improve your immune system, go for it. However, to dwell on it and become obsessive may, in the long run, prove more detrimental than helpful.

Incidentally, you don't mention if all of this radiation is connected with a breast cancer diagnosis or what. I would be interested in knowing just why the need for it.

In the meantime, please know that we will send good thoughts in your direction that you do not suffer any consequences from the treatments or tests.

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

jenna291 replied to rachael67's response:
Hi, just checking that your radiation treatments were for breast cancer?
I agree with Judy about diet and exercise. It is the best thing we can do for ourselves. Radiation did cause me a bit of fatigue (36 treatments for bc) but have extra nutients and taking walks I feel really helped a lot!
My docs don't believe in supplements, they believe in a healthy lifestyle. I feel I have always had that, but maybe being even more conscious of making better choices helps the energy level and overall health and well being.
best to you and will be curious what you are being treated for ~Jenna

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center