Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Up-date on my Mother.
GGrandmaJan posted:
Hi all,
Am so thrilled the assisted-living place agreed to take my Mother back--where she has a one bedroom apt. Hopefully she will be going back on Monday after spending 16 days in nursing home for re-hab. She had no broken bones but badly bruised Lt shoulder. PT thought she has torn her rotater cuff. Surgery is out of the question and way to risky at her age. Praying her confusion is less once she gets back to her own surroundings.

Had conference yesterday with PT--OT--nurses and discharge planner. I need now to find a dementia home for her as she needs 24-hr supervision that assisted can not provide. There is an adult home only 3 miles down our road from us. Would be so awesome if it worked out---But due to her private insurance I have to be careful the place is full-accredited with State and Fed regulations.

I am so relieved they are taking her back. I know it will not be long-term but buys me a little more time to make decisions. We would have to put her furniture and etc in storage. UGH. She has so much in a one bedroom apt. LOL. Not a hoarder just likes her stuff.

I knew her dementia was getting worse but the fall and moving to the nursing home caused it to become even worse in a shorter length of time. I am praying it gets a little better once she is home again. One thing I did was go to her apt and take pics of her bed, recliner, couple of nurses and one of the outside of the place. Posted them on her bulletin board. I was amazed how much that helped her to remember where she was living. Plus I put the name of the place on one pic. "Pictures do say a thousand words". Just a suggestion for any of you with a parent with dementia and/or althemziers.

Thanks for listening. Pray I find the right place for her.
Blessings and hugs.
Jan
He who laughs at himself--never runs out of things to laugh at!

brcansur responded:
Jan,
I am so happy that they are going to take your mom back at her apartment for the time being. That will be one less thing for you to stress about and give you some time to look into a place for her. I remember when my gram was going into a place and looking for some place that would be good for her care and well being plus be covered by her insurance wasn't easy. Then we wanted her to be close to us also that was the hardest part. But it did work out in the end she went to the eastern star home. She was an member of the easter starts for years but you don't need to be a member to get into the homes and they take most insurances. I am sending my prayers and angel hugs besat of luck and hope you find something very soon Roberta,
Roberta

GGrandmaJan replied to brcansur's response:
Thanks Roberta,
After I kind of panicked and thought I needed to get going on this ASAP---I talked to the nurse at Colonial. She said her accessment of my Mom was: "Same as before she fell---mentally"!!! They suggested we give her time to settle back into her routine at the assisted place and see how she does. Thank goodness I don't need to rush into anything. When the Occupational therapist told me she now needed 24-hr care I really panicked. But I forgot they didn't know my Mother at all before she fell. So if you were seeing her for the first time---yes, you would think she needed more care. She can still dress herself and do her daily things. Just moves slower cause she hurt her knee and Lt shoulder so bad.

Thanks for your concerns. I really appreciate all your support and caring.

Hope you have a great day.
Hugs
Jan

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to GGrandmaJan's response:
(((HUGS))) to you Jan! I went through a similar experience with my mother. It was very stressful to find the right facility - you must be relieved that she's able to stay put for now! What a fantastic idea to put up photos - you're a great daughter

Have a fabulous day and sugar smacks to you and mom!

Haylen

GGrandmaJan replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks Haylen,

Well, I was so concerned about pictures---you know of my Dr. Dreamy!!!!! When suddenly it occurred to me to take pics of her apt. I took pic of her bed, reliciner and one of a couple of nurses. As soon as I printed them out and took them over to her---she started to remember. YAY!!! She said "you mean all my stuff is still there?" Poor Mom. I guess she thought I had given it all away. Then I started drilling her on where she used to live and etc to get her ready for when they came over to re-access her. Waalaaa it worked.

Tomorrow is the big day. I can't wait to get her back and see what she remembers.

Hugs and blessings.
Jan

mhall6252 replied to GGrandmaJan's response:
Jan,

Glad to hear your mom can return to her familiar surroundings. It's so difficult when things change for them so it will be hugely important to see her own stuff. Don't be surprised if she's still a bit confused for a while. It comes with the territory. Hopefully she'll settle back in to her routine quickly.

Take care, and good luck!

Michelle
Michelle
Read my blog at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you!

brcansur replied to GGrandmaJan's response:
Jan,
I am so very happy that the picture worked and she remembers her things and the nurses so far like Michelle said it will take some time for it all to come back to her but I am sure she will do just fine. Take baby step with her and you will be fine also like we all know it takes time to get used to change but we make it through in the end. I am glad she will be back among her own things and in a more comfortable place very soon today would be nice for both of you. I am sending a lot of angel hugs for both of you and my thoughts and prayers are always with you. may you have a great day and everything go well for you Roberta,
Roberta

GGrandmaJan replied to mhall6252's response:
Thanks Michelle, for your concern about my Mom when you have so many things on your "plate". Take extra care of you. We are sending all good thoughts your way for a different plan.

You are a true Warrior and I know you can do this.!!!!!

Hey, with "Pinkie" and all your supporters on here boosting you up how could it not be a good thing. Take extra careful the next couple of days of your traveling. This is a monster storm heading your way if not all ready there.

Do check back in when you can.

Hugs and Blessings
Jan

Yep, the pictures really did the trick. I am so glad I finally had a "rational" thought in my little brain. LOL.

Plus my coaching her about where she had lived and going back there, she was able to answer all the questions. I plan on taking her over there some time today. As soon as the staff at the nursing home call and said she is ready. They do not get into much of a hurry there. UGH.

I am sure she is packed and all ready to go home. One of their questions was: How do you get to Bingo from your apt?" Ha like she would forget that one. LOL LOL

Be extra careful the next couple of days. Stay safe and dry. Hope you don't get any snow out of this. UGH. Way too early for that.

Thanks again, Roberta.
Hugs
Jan

Jan,
You got me laughing on the BINGO thing she would never gorget that lol.lol maybe where she put her jar of money to play but not how to get there lol.lol. I hope all works out and she get to go and see her apt today I am sure as soon as she see it everything will come back to her. You may have to fight her not to stay because she will want to play BINGO right then and there. lol.lol.... I am so glad things are working out for you and your mom for once it is about time you have had enough crap going on now it is time for a little break for a while. I hope they give you a while to find a place for her go into after this apt. Because it doesn't happen in a few weeks or even a month it takes time to find a good place. I am sending loads of good wishes and angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

Thank you again, Roberta,

As soon as my Mom saw her apt and all her stuff she had a BIG smile on her face. The first one in 2 weeks. Thank goodness. I know she thought I had given all her stuff away. She is extremely tired tho, which has me quite concerned. I called her last night and she sounded much better. Was watching TV which she hadn't done in 3 weeks.

Couldn't remember tho if she had dinner. But I know she did as they would come get her if she forgot or just bring her a tray. I adore that place and their friendly staff. One of her aides (also named Jan) met me in the hall-way and asked if she was back. She was so delighted and said she had my mom on her list of patients for the week. She is a total delight and even went over to see my Mom at re-hab. They really do care for their patients at the assisted place.

Happy Happy I can now call her on the phone again. Didnt have phones in their rooms at re-hab.

Thanks
Hugs
jan

jenna291 replied to GGrandmaJan's response:
Jan,
I am so happy to hear your mom is doing better and enjoying tv again too. Its amazing with familiar things and surroundings how much that can affect somone.

Glad to hear the staff cares. That means a lot.

You take care of you now. Sounds like there has been a lot of stress, and knowing mom is happy and being well cared for can take some pressure of you.

hugs,
Jenna

GGrandmaJan replied to jenna291's response:
Thanks Jenna,
Yes, she is doing much better. She is really tired but that is to be expected. I took her laundry down to her and she hadn't even made her bed today, so I did it. It does worry me she is so tired but....all in good time.

They had a Halloween party there so we went down to it and she was enjoying that today.

I am so thrilled she is back there. Her NA is marvelous and really cares for my Mother.

Thanks for caring, Jenna. I am doing fine and actually in my sewing room at times. YAY.
Hugs.
Jan

Jan,
I am so happy for you and your mom that she is back in her own place and getting back to her normal. This way it takes a lot off your shoulders and gives you some time to breath and take care of you.
She maybe tired for a while because of all she has been through and getting back into the swing of things give her a little time she should be fine in a few more days. Plus think of her age she will get tired after some activity, she can nap and then be fine again for a while.
That is so sweet about her and the T.V. I remember how much the T.V. meant to my gram when she went into the Easternstar home. She loved watching it and her shows if she missed one she would let you know about it lol.lol.
I love how the nurses care about her that is great news then you know she is being taken care of in a good way. Not just checked on when someone feels like checking. There aren't many like that now a days so when you get nurses like that hold on with both hands. I am so very happy for both of you and now that you can call her room that is a big plus also because now you will beable to check and make sure she is ok. So now less stress for you so now more time for you to relax and take care of you more. Maybe get more sewing done and just relaxing now right !!?? I am so happy things are working out for you and your mom have a great day angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

Helpful Tips

Radiation Burns
I had terrible burns over 2/3rds of my breast after 7 weeks of radiation & I was miserable. Here is what I did. The doctor told me to ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 18 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center