Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Lump in breast?
An_248655 posted:
I am a fourteen year old girl and I have a hard lump ion the inside of my breast. I know that it is normal for teens to have lumpy breasts at times, but this is different from that. I also know that it is very rare for a teen to get breast cancer. What I am wondering is what this could possibly be. If anybody has some insight into this I would greatly appreciate it!

rachael67 responded:
Kiddo, you sound like one smart gal! You have done your homework, know the odds are in your favor, but have the instinct and awareness to know that if something is not "normal," it is the body's way of letting us know it deserves to be looked into.

It could be a great many things from normal breast anomaly (especially if it is near the time of your period) to a cyst to a benign lump to something more serious. However, your health is not a guessing game, and with your intelligence that is not something you need to be told as I am sure you are very tuned into that.

So, suggestions? Well, you do not mention how long it has been there. If it is very new, I might give it a few weeks to see what happens when your hormones are in a different part of your cycle. That is an important bit of information. If it disappears, I would see what happens during your next cycle.

If it does not disappear in a few weeks, I would definitely make an appointment to see your physician. Let him know what you are feeling and your concerns. You don't want to let something slip through the cracks just because it "is very rare"...Someone is the exception to that rule or we wouldn't even consider it a possibility. We just want to make sure that it isn't you!!

(Actually, either way, I would make sure that you bring it to your doctor's attention sooner rather than later...It is something you want your primary doctor to know about as it is part of your personal health history.)

You're the same age as my granddaughter, and were you she, despite the fact that I am a "professional worrier"!!, I would not be overly concerned. I would assure her that her odds are really great that she is fine! However, since I'd rather both she and I NOT worry, I would want her to see the doctor, and make sure that all our wonderful times can be filled with fun and not with concerns!!

Please do the same!! And let us know how you are doing so we can celebrate when you get the all clear! You will be in our hearts!

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

judyfams replied to rachael67's response:
I totally agree with everything the wise Rachael has just told you.
I would only add that if you have not told your mother for some reason or feel you cannot talk to your mom about this issue, please go to see the school nurse. Tell her your situation and ask her to speak to your mom if you are not able to do that.
Please let us know how you make out with our situation.
Good luck,
Judy

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center