Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Thoughs about NFL going Pink? (photo)
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
The front page of the LA Times sports section today is dedicated to the NFL Pink Campaign accompanied by a big photo (see below). Pink penalty flags are the latest feature, read more here: In the NFL, more pink brings a nod

Before I worked in this community, I assumed the pink was all good. However, as the article points out, critics note that the American Cancer Society receives only 5% of revenue from pink items sold by the NFL. My husband suggested that players shouldn't focus on pink but instead donate a game's paycheck - I like that idea!

Do you think that awareness is still as important as raising funds for research efforts?

Haylen

rachael67 responded:
Odd about the "Pink" business. (No reference in this to our "Pinkie" however...She is pure support and comfort and OURS!!! 100%!) Using the color during October can be a great sales gimmick, profiting individual industries more than the cancer research. It also has a group of survivors who hate the whole pink movement. And, it has other folks who are facing other challenges which don't have a month or a color assigned in their honor, very angry!!

So....What to do???

Some folks are greedy! Right! And they will use any and all opportunities to make a buck regardless of the honorable curtain they hide behind!! Shame on them!!! But...they and their ilk will always exist! And to miss the chance that a few extra bucks can be given to the fight for a cure because of their kind, seems rather self-defeating.

There will be many diseases to which little attention is given and which no one except those directly involved will even note. Though that may break the heart of any feeling individual, nonetheless, it is a fact of life! Too many sad things happen over which we have little or no control. Too many lives are lived in shadows and in pain and no even even notices. Unfair and sad and heartbreaking! However, it certainly will not help any of them to turn our backs on others in need. To do so would be equivalent to hiding our light under a bushel basket or burying our heads in the sand or (as in "The Fantastics") putting on a mask that blocks bad things in life from our vision. And in doing so we are paralyzed and don't help anyone!

No matter what is done to help, there will always be those who find it imperfect...even those for whom it is an effort to help. Other than proclaim the entire program should be ditched because a few don't approve, there is little we can do in such cases. Sympathize? Sure. Agree that it is an imperfect solution? Yep. But ditch the entire thing for such a silly reason? Hardly!!

Gang, let's face it. We live in an imperfect world! That world consists of imperfect people! And those people sometimes make imperfect decisions which do not fit everyone despite their best intentions. So, we go on...We find little and big ways to help. When an idea is less that we had hoped, we voice our opinions and do what we can to improve the situation. WE DO NOT THROW THE BABY OUT WITH THE BATH WATER!! That would probably be among the less effective ways of improving any situation!

Basically, if all of us do our best to improve the world by doing all we can to improve the lives of those nearest and dearest and, as a by-product of that, spin the goodness as far as we are able, then we have done our best! The angels can't do more!!

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

judyfams responded:
Haylan,
Every October we have this discussion here. I am totally against this whole Pink Campaign. It was originated by the pharmacutical companies and very little money raised goes to cancer research. A cure for cancer would severely undercut their bottom line.
Check the website www.charitynavigator.com to see how much of your contributions are actually for research and not overhead.
Read p. 80-81 in the Nov. 2012 issue of prevention magazine and see a great idea - establish a National Cancer Prevention Institute to gather all the information and knowledge that we have collected over the years and be a receptacle of the ideas from the great minds of the research that has already been done. Imagine the extraordinary results of all those people working together at the same place to exchange and brainstorm ideas about how to prevent cancer. Now that's an idea I can support!!!!!!! Prevention is the key - I think most people are "aware".
I buy nothing pink - unless it s for a baby gift, and only give to those organizations I have checked out on the website.
Yes, I know early detection is vital, but we would not need early detection if we had cancer prevention!!!!!!!!!!
Judy

mhall6252 responded:
I actually dislike the "pinkification" of football in October. The NFL should take the money they spend on pink items and DONATE the money to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, where it could do some real good! The only significant beneficiaries of all this pink stuff is the vendor who is selling to the NFL!
Michelle
Read my blog at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you!

jenna291 replied to mhall6252's response:
Agree with everyone here. I wish this money would go to research and assistance for those in need, rather than a small portion of proceeds going to worthwhile charities. too many people profiting from pink.

Jenna

brcansur responded:
I agree with all of you the pink has gotten out of hand and the money doesn't go where it should be going. I feel that it should go to the research labs, a family in need , right to a clinic to help the ones that can't pay. Anything like that but not to the pink fund what ever one it maybe. Because most of that money goes into to others pockets and not to cure or prevent cancer in anyway. Yes I have pink t shirts that have fight for the cure I even have a survivor T shirt that were given at a walk I do every year. But for the past 4 years or more I have noticed more and more pink things being pushed in your face when out shopping or fairs and it isn't just in Oct. It has gotten way out of hand and just to much. If I want something pink I will find it don't push it on me.
Roberta

Helpful Tips

What Is The Pink Bus???
One of our great resources is our famous PINK BUS! Some of you are familiar with her. Others may need a little introduction so I went back ... More
Was this Helpful?
60 of 75 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center