Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
An Idea for When Disaster Hits.
GGrandmaJan posted:
Hi Ladies and Gents.

I have an idea and wondering what you all might think of it?

I believe we need to delegate someone not in our immediate area as a Go-To person to post for us on the board when we are not able to for one reason or another such as: We are in the hospital, a disaster hits and we have no power or whatever the reason. If we were able to just email a person or give them a quick phone call before any disaster hits then we would only have one person to contact. That person could then post for us on the board and relieve everyone's worries until we were able to post for ourselves. Someone preferable that is computer savy.

My DH does not quailify. LOL.

I have already set this up by contacting a close friend locally and gave her Rachael's email addy. If I was unable to post on here--all I would have to do is call my local friend and she would contact Rachael. All solved for the time being.

With the weather getting more dangerous all the time I do think this might work if we did this. You know like the emergency depts tell us to inform a family member not living in our state.

So what do you all think of my idea? Something that might work or not???

Prayers and Blessings to all
Jan
He who laughs at himself--never runs out of things to laugh at!

rachael67 responded:
Jan and I recall a similar discussion on the old F2F boards many years ago. Too often one of our members would go MIA for quite some time. Of course, being the professional worriers we are, we would assume the worst, and would often times eventually find out that they had simply been too busy "living" or had even been on a lovely vacation! So, to ease each other's minds, we tried to arrange with friends and family members to make sure they let us know if there was any kind of serious problem.

Once this was put in place, it was not unusual for a daughter or husband or friend to come to the boards (often using the members sign-in name), and let us know what was happening.

Another suggestion I might make is to post your email addy in your profile....That way, it gives us each another way to seek information...or just to "gab" in private!!

It can be very reassuring and helpful to the community to make such an arrangement. Thanks, Folks!!

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

jenna291 replied to rachael67's response:
Jan,
Great idea! I will give my info to my best friend and have her contact the gang if I can't.

Speaking of which, has anyone heard from Michelle??????

hugs,
Jenna

GGrandmaJan replied to jenna291's response:
Thanks Jenna
No---- have not heard from Michelle. She does live in NH--tho, and I pray they are just without power. When I check her blog there is no posting since her Mother's services.

Gee, I hope she reports in soon. I am getting so worried. Yep, I know "Grand-mother Hen" I guess is my new nickname.

As for my idea---Rachael and I had been discussing this same thing several years ago. It just seemed to be a right time to bring it up again. Our weather pattern has changed and so many new severe storms.

Glad to decided to have a close friend contact us IF on the chance (Heaven forbid) you are unable to for whatever reason.

Hope you are having a nice day. It is sunny here and so warm. Weird.
Hugs
Jan
He who laughs at himself--never runs out of things to laugh at!! by Me.

Helpful Tips

DIEP Flap Survival
Sept 7, 2012: Bilateral Mastectomy and immediate DIEP Flap reconstruction. I live in Washington, DC, area and have great insurance and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center