Skip to content
Newly Diagnosed- Any Advice
justkarenc posted:
I found out today that I will have 4 chemo treatments every 2 weeks beginning 11/30. I will have a port put in my left arm since it is on my right nodes that cancer was found in 2 to 4 nodes.

I keep telling myself I can make it through 4 treatments.

judyfams responded:
Justkarenc,
Yes you can do it girl!!! Sorry that you have to join our club, but the thought of chemo is usually worse than the treatments!
You will do fine if you plan ahead. Here is some advice.
1. You must drink plenty of water to flush the chemo from your system. Water from fruits, soups etc are good. You can make and freeze soups now or just buy them as needed. But make sure you have plenty of water on hand!
2. Eat every 2 hours - do not eat a big meal or fried, fast or processed foods. Make sure to have protein (which helps build cells) all the time. Taste buds could be affected so any protein is good as long as you can tolerate it - peanut butter, smoothies, eggs etc.
3. Make sure to eat plenty of fruits and veggies they have the good carbohydrates you need - not the refined sugar. Try to linit your sugar intake. No matter how bad you feel you must eat - so find foods that you can tolerate.
4. Don't be a hero - take all the anti nausea meds the doctor prescribes - they will help. If they do not speak to the doctor immediately and there are other meds you could take. This goes for diarrhea and constipation as well.
5. Lastly, rest and pamper yourself, let family and friends do laundry, cook, clean, drive car pools etc. Don't push yourself - if you are tired rest and or take a nap.
I had different chemo than you - 6 treatments 3 weeks apart in 2010 and came through just fine. Don't listen to the horror stories - just think positively as that really helps.
Remember as of 11/30 you will have finished one fourth of your required chemo treatmants and will be half way through by Christmas!!!!!!!!! Set small goals for yourself.
Please tell us what your chemo combo is as there are ladies here who have had the same mix and can give you more specific ways to get through this than i did.
Good luck and let us know how you are doing.
Remember if the pre chemo anxiety gets too much ask your doctor for anti anxiety meds - they really do help! Until 11/30 stay busy and do not obsess about the chemo. Come here as often as you need to - we all care and will help you get through this.
Judy

rachael67 responded:
Karen, facing chemo must be more than worrisome...And my heart goes out to you. But I do hope that now that your treatment plan is in place and once it actually begins, you might begin to feel a bit less overwhelmed. Just knowing you are definitely on the road to recovery...even if so many times it is uphill!

We will be with you for each treatment and will celebrate when you are finally thru with it and can return to living!!! You have our best wishes that chemo is as easy as possible...Make sure you let your medical team know if you hit some of those bumps as they can often do things to ease the path.

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

brcansur responded:
justkarenc,
Welcome, Judy gave very good advice the same I was going to give on steps to take to help get you through chemo. The drinking and eating are very important and rest you really need to do all of them to keep your energy up and help your body stay healthy as can be during this time. I also had a port put in oh I am so very happy I did it was the best thing ever. I would see the ones that didn't and what it did to their viens some having to have the I.V restarted many times. So you are doing the right thing with getting the port..You may not think so now but chemo will be over before you know it and all of this will be behind you. You will get through this and be one of us ladies here telling others what worked for you and may help them. I am sending loads of good wishes I will be on PInkie 11/30 sending angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

jenna291 replied to rachael67's response:
Hi Karen,
I would say stay busy and try and relax until the 30th. I started my treatments on 12/2 every 2 weeks (5 years ago) and it will go by fast especially this time of the year.
Think positive and rest, rest, rest. Let other help you whenever possible. You need to worry about YOU right now, and moving past this!!!

Stay hydrated, I ate tons of watermelon for one of my fluids and brank "Boost" everyday for the vitamins. Chicken soup, raisin toast, plain pasta, scrambled eggs, those were some of my staples. Whatever works for you, but please by sure to eat small meals so keep up your strength!!

I will be praying you get thru this quickly! You may even get a diploma - my hospital gave me a beautiful blanket and a diploma when I finished treatments.

good luck and we will be anxious to hear from you on how things are going and any questions we may be able to answer.
~ Jenna

cindy12345678 responded:
I agree with Judy. Just try to leep things as normal as you
can and take all the meds they give you. Try to enjoy
little things that make you happy. You can make it
because we will be with you ! I think when I was facing
chemo, I thought it woulod be like forever. But then I
found out how many I would have to have. So I counted
them down on the calender. I would put a one, two etc.
after I had completed that treatment. Please let us know
how you are doing.
Hugs,
Cindy

justkarenc replied to judyfams's response:
Thanks Judy for this great advice. I have poland springs water delivered to the house, so I will have plenty of water. I will make sure I have fruits and veggies in the fridge, and I will take all meds the doctor gives me.

I am going back to work on 11/19 so that will keep me busy. I do have some anxiety pills that I got when I had the surgery since this was my first surgery. On 11/13 I am going to an education program about what will happen during the chemo.

I have third generation regminen.

justkarenc replied to rachael67's response:
thanks Rachael, I know if I have any questions or need advice you guys are right here.

justkarenc replied to jenna291's response:
thanks Jenna.. small meals sound like a good thing. I am having the treatments on a Friday so I can work and figure I will rest on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Depending on how I feel Monday I am work from home or go into the office. Not sure until I have the first treatment.

I am looking at this as phase 2 to getting better. Phase 1 was surgery, which I made it through. I left the hospital 2 days after surgery and did not take pain killers the pain wasn't bad.

justkarenc replied to cindy12345678's response:
Thanks Cindy. I will let everyone know how I do with the first treatment. I am strong, stronger than I realized, and have a positive attitude. I'm beating this and next year at this time will be a survivor.

Helpful Tips

Breast Cancer Survivor
I had breast cancer surgery on right side just below my breast 2.2 cm part since 2001. It also removed 21 nodes my armpit to protect cancer ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center