Skip to content
This May be Jumping the Gun
kaymelsmom posted:
Hi, I just joined and I guess I'm trying to find some answers. I was at my OB/GYN yesterday and the PA working there felt something when she was checking my breasts. She called in the other doc & that doc said she definitely felt what she was talking about. She said it might just be tissue and the PA continued on with the exam. Next the doc said she would talk to me after I got dressed up at the desk. When I got dressed & met her, she never really said too much, just the secretary said she'd make me an appointment for a mammogram. Now I go in a month & I'm scared. I have 2 girls 7 & 9 and all I can think about is the possibility of not being here for them. I know I haven't even had my mammogram yet & this probably sounds very silly and presumptious. I know there's different things it could be. I just feel really alone and scared.

GGrandmaJan responded:
I am so sorry you are worried and scared but please don't feel alone cause you are not. You have come to the right place to ask questions and for great support.

Just be assured 80% of lumps are Benign. Meaning NOT cancer. You didn't say if they found a lump or exactly what. Have you felt a lump?

O.K. take a deep breath. Now another one. When we are under a lot of stress we tend to forget to breath. It is a very good relaxing technique. Long deep breaths. In and out slowly. Now another one. Keep doing this until your world calms down a little.

Might I ask what your age is and have you ever had a mammo before?

O.K. even if it turns out to be not such good news---Please be advised it is NOT the end of the world. We have members on here that are 10 and 20 year survivors.

I have went thru this twice in the last 7 years and am still here to help you anyway I can. Until you know just what you are up against Please don't borrow troubles or extra worries. I know that is easier said than done. Best thing you can do is keep yourself very busy with good things and try your best to put your worries on the back burner.

You have come to a great place for lots of support and very caring people. We will do our best to answer all your questions.

Sending loads of good thoughts.
Fondly
Jan
He who laughs at himself--never runs out of things to laugh at!! by Me.

rachael67 responded:
Sorry to have to welcome you to this club, but as Jan said, here you will find caring, supportive members who have "been there/done that" and will do all they can to help you.

Yes, 80% of lumps are benign! (Better odds than Vegas, right?) However, there is not one of us here who would assume even with such odds you will stop worrying...Fear goes with this territory! The unknown in life is like that in movies: There is a noise heard by the lady who is alone...It is always accompanied by weird music ! Now, if we could see right away that it was simply a stray cat who had knocked over the garbage can, we'd not be frightened, right? But the dreadful unknown.... no face and no name ... scares the patootie out of all of us. "...jumping the gun"? Hardly! What you are feeling is perfectly normal. The best you can do until you know what the "noise" is, is to try and distract yourself with anything and everything. Might not work, but neither will sitting and fretting!

One thing I would do, however, is to call your doctor and find out why you can't have the mammogram done MUCH sooner!! A month of limbo is nasty at best! See what options you have: Is there another facility that could take you sooner, etc.

Please know that you will be in our thoughts. Keep us posted on how you are doing and what the doc says. Feel free to come here any time...We are open 24/7 just for one another.

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

Helpful Tips

DIEP Flap Survival
Sept 7, 2012: Bilateral Mastectomy and immediate DIEP Flap reconstruction. I live in Washington, DC, area and have great insurance and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center