Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is this speed normal?
An_248816 posted:
I had my annual screening mammo in June; normal, no change. Since Oct. 2 I had been having pain fat one spot in my left breast, with a little stiffness towards the underarm (thought I strained a muscle). I discovered a largish painful mass on Oct 23rd. Hoping it was just some sort of infection I let it "go" two days. On Oct. 25 I called my gynie, who, miraculously, had a cancellation that afternoon. He sent me for a breast ultrasound (the regional med. center where he has privileges couldn't get me in until Nov. 6 so I made the appt at a small local hospital). The ultrasound was done on Oct. 26 (mass seemed smaller to me by then, and pain was less), they called early Tues 27th and wanted to do a diagnostic mammo. They held their "girl" on overtime until I could get there. They put the results on CD for my gynie and asked if I could have the med. ctr. send my screening results to compare. I called the med. ctr; they could have them ready in 24 hours (on cd) and would mail them. Instead of waiting for USPS I picked them up the 31st, a.m. and delivered them to hosp. On Nov. 1, mid-morning. my gynie calls, says I need a biopsy. I called local surgeon I am familiar with, he did exam that afternoon and scheduled me for lumpectomy rather than a biopsy on Nov. 2. Results will be in Nov. 8 (I'm to bring someone with me to office visit). My lump was 2 cm, pain is gone except for some slight "stinging" from surgery. They didn't take any nodes. Is the speed in which I got seen and a lumpectomy normal (one week)? Do they always ask that you bring someone to results visit?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

rachael67 responded:
I am sorry you are having these troubles, but I welcome to this group of supportive and caring folks!

Re: speed... Actually I am glad that no one appears to want to let you slip thru any cracks! You would be amazed how often ladies are left swinging in the wind, waiting for some action from medical personnel! So, to answer your question, it is a blessing in that it keeps from from having too much time to fret and it addresses anything which might be a concern sooner rather than later!

Bringing someone with you to any and all appointments is always a good thing. When we are overwhelmed and dealing with the techno world of medicine which is filled with news tests and a whole new language, we can often miss some important things which are said as well as forget half of what we meant to ask! Having an extra pair of ears is a definite plus!

Please know that we will be with you in spirit when you go for your appointment on Nov. 8. Keep us updated on how you are doing. And feel free to come back here anytime with questions or to vent or whatever. We are here for one another and we care!!

Blessings and prayers for a good report!
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

brcansur responded:
An_248816,
Hello and welcome sorry you had to come here and join us ladies but happy you found us you have come to the right place.
To answer your question I found my lump on Feb 8 called my doctor had my mammo the very next day due to I was out of town on a ski trip. They also did a altrasound due to it being Fri I had to wait till Mon for my bio of lump got my results and dx on Feb 13 2008. My mammo before that was in April and it was normal. So to me this is not fast it is a normal speed of action to make sure if it is cancer it is taken care of in a timely maner. If found soon and taken care of it is a very good thing.
Now saying all of that this doesn't mean this is why they are moving so fast and that you have cancer it means they are doing their jobs to make sure if you did it was done right and fast. There is a 80% chance it IS NOT CANCER and they are probably asking you to bring someone with you so you have some one there for support while waiting and maybe to drive because you are not going to have a clear mind before during and most likely after hearing the results no matter what they are. My doctor's also asked me to have someone with me and this was before they even knew what was going on. I wish you all the best sending all good wishes and prayers that all tirns out well for you. Try to keep your mind busy doing things you enjoy doing until your appt it helpes the nerves a little. I like to sew, read and cook so that is what I did to keep my mind off what was going on. Please come back to let us know how you are doing and what you find out angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

sisjake1956 replied to rachael67's response:
Thanks Rachael, I will keep you folks posted!

sisjake1956 replied to brcansur's response:
Thank you Roberta. I am doing all my "normal" things and only occasionally do I get "reminded" (like if I move my arm funny and get a twinge of "reminder". LOL. Can they tell just from the looks of the lump if it is possibly cancer?

rachael67 replied to sisjake1956's response:
The only definitive way of diagnosing cancer is the biopsy. Undoubtedly when they did you lumpectomy the tumor it was send to a pathologist. The doctor will most likely go over that report during your visit.

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

jenna291 replied to brcansur's response:
Welcome and hopefully you find help and answers here.
I found my lump a few months after a normal mammogram, call my doc and she saw me same day, then had a biopsy same day. I think with any lumps a good doctor will react quickly to get to the bottom of whatever is going on.

Sometimes the whole thing is overhwhelming which is who I was told to bring someone with me, and fee free to write things down. It helps a lot!

I will be hoping you have good results and please come back and tell us!

thinking of you ~
Jenna

sisjake1956 replied to jenna291's response:
Thanks to all of you. I'll keep you posted on results!

brcansur replied to sisjake1956's response:
I am glad you are finding ways to stay busy and keep your mind busy. Keeping up with your normal day to day life is very important and I am glad you are doing that. Plus anything else that makes you happy and to keep your mind body and soul happy at this time of waiting helps.
About being able to tell just from the looks of the lump they can assume and we all know what that means right lol.lol. I know me ans my friends used to love saying what that meant when we were kids because we got to say a bad word.lol.lol. Like Rachael said the only way to know for sure if it is cancer or not is to send it out for testing. I am sure that is just what they did and will be going over all of that with you at your appt. That is another reason to bring someone with you to help write things down and remeber what was said either way. It will be very helpful later on when trying to recall what was said. One of our ladies even takes a taperecorder with her so she gets everything that is said and doesn't miss anything while trying to write it all down which is a great idea. But make sure it is ok with the doctor. One of those mini recorders would work great for this then you could go back and listen to it later when your head is more clear.
But no matter what remember to ask all the question you want because the only stupid one is the one not asked !!!!
I am sending loades of good luck and angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

sisjake1956 replied to brcansur's response:
Something strange is going on. My breast started getting red, painful and very swollen and tight on Sunday. If I drew my fingernail across the red skin it sounded hollow, like there is a lot of fluid under there. I gave it a day to "settle down" after the nurse at the doctor's office told me Monday morning that the redness was probably due to the surgery. It is still really red about three inches out from the incision, and even my bra hurts against it, with occasional "pulses" of pain, like I can feel my heartbeat with the pain. I haven't really run a temp (99.1) but have been having times I couldn't get warm, with uncontrollable shivering. I've been taking Ibuprofen during the day, and the Vicotin they prescribed me before bed. Today I am so fatigued, and the pain just keeps getting worse. It only seems a little bit warmer than the "good" side. Should I insist my surgeon look at this?

Shell1007 replied to sisjake1956's response:
Hi there,
I would DEMAND to be seen.This has gotten worse,not better !. Please make that call !! And keep us updated
Take Care,
Shell

judyfams replied to sisjake1956's response:
Absolutely! - you think there is something not right and that needs to be checked out.
It could be an infction from the surgery, or a fluid or blood filled sac that might need to be drained.
Pain is the body's way of letting us know something is not quite right.
You did notmention the type of surgery you had - lumpectomy, excisional biopsy, augmentation etc. and that might also account for the problem with the breast.
At any rate, please insist that the surgeon check you out as soon as possible.
Let us know what you find out.
Good luck,
Judy

rachael67 replied to sisjake1956's response:
YES!

And sooner rather than later. Please let us know how you are doing.

Blessings.
Rachael

sisjake1956 replied to judyfams's response:
They called it a lumpectomy (removed the lump and some surrounding tissue for testing). I ended up going to the ER as even bumps in the road were causing pain. I have breast cellulitis. I've been put on Bactrim and my pain med has changed to Percocet. Dr. appointment is on Thursday, I am making it a point to tell him what the girl in his office told me. I'm not even sure if it was the nurse, it might have just been the receptionist. Regardless, NONE of them should be making decisions on whether or not a patient should see the doctor.

judyfams replied to sisjake1956's response:
Glad you are seeing the doctor on Thurs.
You are correct in only wanting to see the doctor and not being deterred by office staff.
Please let us know what happens with your appointment.
Judy

Helpful Tips

Radiation Burns
I had terrible burns over 2/3rds of my breast after 7 weeks of radiation & I was miserable. Here is what I did. The doctor told me to ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 18 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center