Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Breast cancer to ovarian cancer?
JLAMB26 posted:
I've been a bit frazzled over the past week or so. After my "annual", my gynecologist sent me for a pelvic ultrasound. I'm 43 and I had been having irregular menstrual cycles since they returned after the end of chemo 1.5 years ago (HER+, hormone neg, Stage 2B single mastectomy). She then called and said she wants me to go in for a pelvic MRI because she found two medium size cysts, one with fluid. She also set up an appointment for me to talk to a gynecological oncologist to talk about "the future of my ovaries". As much as I pressed, she was reluctant to say that she thought that there was a possibility of cancer or to give me any specific reason why she felt I should have an MRI or a consult....I felt she was being very vague though so I'm a bit nervous. My MRI is scheduled for Wednesday of next week. Does anyone know if it is common for breast cancer to reoccur as ovarian cancer?

judyfams responded:
Breast cancer cannot recur as ovarian cancer. Breast cancer can metastasize in the ovaries - but it is still classified as breast cancer.
Unfortunately you can get ovarian cancer which has nothing to do with your breast cancer.
That being said there is a connection between breast and ovarian cancer if one tests positive for the BRACA 1 genes.
Let us know what is found on the MRI as soon as you know.
Judy

Helpful Tips

Alternative consumer self-test device for early detection of breast cancer?
This may be an interesting personalized alternative for early detection to then be verified through Breast MRI/Mammography: Eclipse, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center