Skip to content
Newly Diagnosed 2 Weeks of ups and mostly downs
Dawn0312R posted:
I went for my normal mammogram and got a call that they wanted to do a biopsy on a calcium cluster they detected. My regular doctor told me it was nothing and that he never saw a calcium cluster without a mass that was cancerous. Went for my biopsy and results came back that I had DCIS cancer. I was so shocked and upset. Talked to my radiologist and my GYN and they assured me that it was all going to be ok. They said it was non invasive and probably just needed a lumpectomy. Met with a breast surgeon and got an MRI. Now my MRI came back that the calcium is my bigger than the mammogram showed. They also saw two suspicious dots in my right breast. Now they want to send me for 3 more biopsies. My breast surgeon also gave me the option of getting a double mastectomy to think about and explained the procedure and all of the reconstruction they do. I am just so confused and don't know what I am going to do or what I should do. My results are going out for other radiologists to read and I am waiting for what they have to say. I just wanted to hear other maybe opinions or advice or just some kind of words from people that know what I am going through right now. Thanks for listening.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

judyfams responded:
So sorry to read your story.
Please know there are no real answers or opinions anyone here can really give you - except to make sure whatever you ultimately decide to do should be your decision. You can do resesrch and gather opinions, but you must do what will give you peace of mind. It is your body and your future that we are talking about!
I would at least have the 3 biopsies to find out what you are really dealing with - benign tumors, calcium deposits or more cancer - that info would help you decide on what do do about having a mastectomy.
I hope other ladies will respond and help you make your decision.
Please let us know what you decide and how you are doing.
Good luck,
Judy

rachael67 responded:
Dear Dawn, here you will find many folks who will offer you tons of support and kind words...that I promise, but as Judy said choices and decisions will be up to you...And, if you are like most of us, that will be a very stressful situation!

Best advice is to get more information from the reports, do a bit of research (not so much that it only confuses the situation...and do make sure that the information comes from reputable sources!), and get a 2nd and 3rd opinion if it would help. (I am a big proponent of that!)

We all have to go in with as much knowledge as we can about our own case, hear our options and then do a very fine balancing act: Benefits vs risks! Wow! It is tough!! No getting around that!

However, once you choose your medical team and together with them make a plan and get it going, you will be amazed at how relieved you will feel! Finally you will regain a little sense of the control that was taken from you with the initial diagnosis!

Please know that we will send much support your way. Keep us posted on how you are doing, and feel free to come back with other questions, etc. We are here for one another!!

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

vajanie replied to rachael67's response:
Dawn, I'm still in treatment so don't have nearly the experience that Judy and Rachael do or the information and advice they can offer you. But, I will tell you that my bc was diagnosed also with a yearly mammogram so I think I know the shock you've felt, and the confusion about what to do. I am also a believer in the second and third opinions. That's what I did and ended up going to a large university hospital for treatment, even though it's three hours away.
They are right that it's ultimately your decision, with as much good information as you can get, and with the advice of a physician you trust. Best of luck to you and we're all wishing the best for you.

Janie

Dawn0312R responded:
Thank you all. I will be going for the 3 biopsies before I make any decisions. I will keep you updated on my diagnosis and decisions. I appreciate your time

jenna291 replied to Dawn0312R's response:
Dawn,
Glad you are doing 3 biopsies to be sure of what you are dealing with.

Take a lot of notes, or better yet have someone come with you as it is a lot of information to digest. I also agree to get a second opinion.

I am sending you tons of well wishes and please let us know your course of treatment and what your decisions are.

hugs,
Jenna

Dawn0312R replied to jenna291's response:
Results first two biopsies are back and they are negative! last biopsy was yesterday so i will be hearing about that test early next week. Praying for good news and then I will just have to get a lumpectomy to get rid of the DCIS. My doctor is great and taking my case to her Cancer Board. This will give me even more opinions. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

rachael67 replied to Dawn0312R's response:
SUPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We will continue to send good thoughts your way that the third is also negative!

Please keep us updated on that as well as your surgery, etc.

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

GGrandmaJan replied to Dawn0312R's response:
What great news to hear!! A good way to start the week-end.

Now try to relax. Do some fun things.

Thanks for keeping us up-dated. I am really happy for you. It sounds like you have a fery caring special Dr. in your life.

Sending a large bouquet of Fall Flowers with good thoughts attached.

Husg
Jan
He who laughs at himself--never runs out of things to laugh at!! by Me.

brcansur replied to Dawn0312R's response:
Great news now you can take a breath and relax for a while enjoy the weekend have some fun!!!!!! That is some weight lifted off your shoulders for sure so please treat yourself to some relaxation and fun over the weekend we all know you deserve it and who doesn't love some fun and relaxing. !!???
Have a great day and weekend angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

GGrandmaJan replied to brcansur's response:
Dawn, another suggestion is to take a tape recorder with you when getting any results of tests or surgeries. I took mine with me to everything. When you get results your mine can be off in another place. Most Dr's will allow tape recorder as long as it is your results. I always ask first if seeing a new Dr for the first time.

This is just a thought. Hope it helps.

Hope you are relaxing this week-end and doing something fun. Try your best to take your mind off of Monday. I know it is harder to do but really worth it.

Good luck.
Jan
He who laughs at himself--never runs out of things to laugh at!! by Me.

Dawn0312R responded:
Good morning everyone. This is the morning after my lumpectomy and I feel surprisingly good. Thank you all for your well wishes and prayers. The lymph node removed showed no signs of cancer, which is great news. I will be seeing my doctor soon to know the next steps, if any. Hopefully I will not require any radiation. Thanks again to all who listened.

rachael67 replied to Dawn0312R's response:
Dawn, what good news about the lymph report!

And it sounds like all went well, and you are on the road to recovery! YES!!

Keep us posted on your appointment. And don't overdo while you are healing!

Blessings.
Rachael

brcansur replied to Dawn0312R's response:
Dawn,
That is great news about the lymph nodes !!! Now all you need to do is take it easy and recover let your body heal. Listen to your body when you feel tired rest don't over do it you have been through a lot and so has your body. Oh I am so happy for you right now things are looking up for you. Sending loads of angel hugs have a great day and weekend Roberta,
Roberta

mhall6252 replied to Dawn0312R's response:
Dawn - I am so glad to read that you are feeling good after your lumpectomy and the node was clear. Hopefully, this will all soon be behind you.

Hugs,
Michelle
Michelle
Read my blog at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you!

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center