Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pain 3 yrs after mastectomy
An_249023 posted:
My mother in law had a bilateral mastectomy (including lymph nodes on the left side) 3 yrs ago. She also had rad therapy and chemo. She is now having pain where her nipple used to be. She does not feel a mass but is experiencing pain. I told her it might be scar tissue. Do you have any thoughts why she might be having pain?

judyfams responded:
The pain could be due to scar tissue and/or changes in the tissue brought on by radiation.
She also might be further inflaming the area by constantly touching it looking for a lump.
I think the best thing for her to do is to go back to her breast surgeon and be thoroughly checked out.
At this point she needs peace of mind and only a visit to her surgeon - and any other doctors might be in order now.
Please let us know what happens with her in this instance.
Judy

rachael67 responded:
I agree with Judy...Please, for peace of mind, have her see her doctor. Anxiety can sometime be almost as challenging as the illness.

There could be the possibility of nerve involvement: Either some sort of referred or even phantom pain. Also, when my husband had back surgery many years ago, there was an area surrounding the surgery in which the nerves only slowly and over many years resumed feeling. First the area was rather numb. After a while there would be a bit of a tingling sensation,.Gradually that evolved into the return of feeling.

There are many possibilities, but the only place to uncover what might be happening with her, is through testing/examinations, etc. We will keep her in our thoughts. Please let us know how she is doing.

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

GGrandmaJan replied to rachael67's response:
Yes, I agree with both Judy and Rachael for her own peace of mind have a Dr check it out. It could very well be scar tissue, but not knowing is the pits.

Please have her see her surgeon. Let us know how she is doing as we do all care and support each other.

Hugs
Jan
He who laughs at himself--never runs out of things to laugh at!! by Me.

goodlook121 responded:
(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Hello
My name is jessica i saw your profile today at (webmd.com)and became interested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send a mail to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am.Here is my email address(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com).I believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.jessica.(Remember the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life)
Please reply me with my email address

goodlook121 responded:

Hello
My name is jessica i saw your profile today at (webmd.com)and became interested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send a mail to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am.Here is my email address(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com).I believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.jessica.(Remember the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life)
Please reply me with my email address

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center