Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Obama Care and our bc
pelusitadered posted:
I don't know if this is a concern to anyone else or not other than me, but I'm concerned about how bc will be addressed once OC goes into effect. My DCIS has not continued so far, but I'm very concerned if it should come back once OC starts. Of course, I think no one has any idea as to what to expect from it, only what has been told to us by the media, in how haphazardly it will be for some and the back seat women with bc will take once OC goes into effect. So, I'm now in a dilemma and trying to decide if I should go ahead and have the bi-lateral mastectomy, with immediate reconstruction, that was once recommended by some of my surgeons. Not only will this new medical program mean making very difficult decisions for every woman who has been diagnosed with bc, but also, for those with terminal illnesses and the elderly. Any thoughts on this? Thank you. ~Ella

pelusitadered responded:
P.S. I hate being pressured in making on the spot decisions and by the seat of my pants, ONLY because I have to!

judyfams replied to pelusitadered's response:
Exactly what are your concerns? You cannot be denied treatment for a pre existing condition, and you should be able to get health insurance through your employer, or through your state.
But you must get health insurance by 2014. So I don't know what you are concerned about. Can you please be more specific.
Judy

pelusitadered replied to judyfams's response:
Please educate and inform yourself about Obama care and what it can and will mean for people or women with pre-existing condition such as breast cancer. There are many articles on the net that will give you this information. The operative words you have used are, "you should be able to." Older people with pre-existing conditions or illnesses, such as the ones mentioned, will be very much under treated. Those are my concerns.

judyfams replied to pelusitadered's response:
And what makes you think what you read on the internet is factual?
All states are required to establish health insurance groups for those people who cannot get health insurance through their employer. If a state (like NJ) doesn't establish these groups they will be fined. So you have to get off the internet on this highly charge political subject and call your health ins. co or your state health department.
The things you read on the internet about this are either highly pro or con, so you have to sift through all that and get the real facts.
If what you sa yabout older women is true, I'm sure the women's groups and AARP would have opposed the Healthcare act - and they all were in favor of it!
Judy

rachael67 replied to judyfams's response:
I agree with Judy. Please seek those who have the facts and not those who assume one way or the other!! It is essential that we build our knowledge of anything on a foundation of truth and not fears or imaginings.

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

pelusitadered replied to rachael67's response:
Ladies, I neither found these facts on the internet or is it from my imagination, but from articles I read and discussions I heard on TV. Should TV be ignored as well? Ladies you are in for a rude awakening. And Judy you believe what AARP says? That's the biggest rip-off organization there is. We will see what happens when 2014 rolls around. That's all I will say. Have a good day.

jenna291 replied to pelusitadered's response:
Everyone is very concerned about this. My concern is that costs of private pay insurers like my family will have to endure large rate increases to cover those uninsured and no one should be denied care. I have already lowered to a plan which covers less as they premiums keep rising. Self-employed people that I know are all worried.
We have to see how this plays out and hope that many of us don't have to cover the costs of those who cannot afford insurance. I feel like I work for months just to cover our annual premiums and as costs go up, service goes down. For example, I now have to pay $1800 out of pocket for an mri that used to be covered as part of a post-cancer diagnosis. I fear women won't get checked if they have to pay so much. A better plan costs much more, so what do we do?
I would never want anyone to be denied coverage, but there is no easy solution here.
The funds for OC have to come from somewhere. There are lots of stories and misconceptions out there - we'll have to see how this is handled in the coming year.
~ Jenna

rachael67 replied to jenna291's response:
Well said, Jenna!

Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

goodlook121 responded:
(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Hello
My name is jessica i saw your profile today at (webmd.com)and became interested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send a mail to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am.Here is my email address(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com).I believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.jessica.(Remember the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life)
Please reply me with my email address

goodlook121 responded:

Hello
My name is jessica i saw your profile today at (webmd.com)and became interested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send a mail to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am.Here is my email address(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com).I believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.jessica.(Remember the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life)
Please reply me with my email address

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center