Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Study May Change the Way Doctors Prescribe Tamoxifen
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
Doubling the time that breast cancer patients take tamoxifen cuts the risk that the cancer will come back and further lowers the risk of dying of the disease, a new study shows.

Click the link below to read more about the study that is expected to change the way doctors prescribe the drug:

Longer Tamoxifen Use Helps Breast Cancer Survival

Haylen

judyfams responded:
In the last paragraph they mentioned that the same is probably true for the aromatase inhibitors as well.
I do not know if a similar study is underway for the AI's.
I think this is wonderful news, but would hope that this news would spur further research into making hormone blocking drugs with fewer side effects.
There must be some way of having a second generation of hormone therapy drugs that don't severely hamper a woman's quality of life.
This disease with it's many treatment options always seem to have women facing the quality of life issue many times over. I think it is time to openly and honestly address that issue at this point in time!
Judy

jenna291 replied to judyfams's response:
I was on tamoxifen for 2.5 years, then switched to Arimidex when I was 3 years without a period. My 5 years total drug intake would have had me stop this past September, but my oncologist said that emerging research suggests a total of 7 years on meds is more beneficial. So that will give me a total of 5 years on Arimidex, unless another study proves longer is better.
I agree with you Judy that it would be beyond great if there were fewer side effects from these meds. The list is substantial, I deal with the sporadic bone pain and headaches mostly, but I still feel for me the benefits outway the risks if it can help me stay cancer-free. Some days, though, I am so frustrated that there isn't a med that will not affect quality of life. Bad enough to have the dreaded bc diagnosis, then dealing with so many issues is overwhelming at times.
With all the dollars pouring into research, it would be great to see some real progress come thru on the medication front.
In the meantime, I was glad to hear about this study on Tamoxifen.

~ Jenna

brcansur replied to jenna291's response:
I was at our group christmas dinner on wed night and this came up at the group. I do not take any meds due to being triple neg but it is very interesting to me for those that I know that do. The doctor I go to runs this group and was saying they are thinking of having those that are taking it do so for 7 to 10 years now or even longer. If 7 years it stays in your body another 3 years for a total of 10 years. But the women in group on it were all saying that they don't like the side effects fron it and would like to stop sooner because of them what would happen then? He was saying if they are on for at least 3 years and their doctor wanted them on it for 5 then it stays in their body for 3 more it is a total of 5 years. But to talk to their doctors first to make sure it is ok and they make a plan together first.
Then here is the one that really got my attention he was say they habe been doing a study for 5 years now on the effects of projestrone (spelling ?) and how it effects the cells and my be the cause of breast cancer. I asked if this could be my reason for breast cancer due to being on it for different female issues and trying to have another child for years. His answer was very well could be ! So for all of you women out there that had to use this drug for female break through bleeding or very heavy bleeding endometreosis like myself or for fertility drugs you may want to look into it as one of the reason behind your getting breast cancer even if triple neg. I felt a brick lifted off my shoulders because I had something now to go on that maybe a cause for my dx. Before it was always we don't know what caused or could have caused you to get it . It just happens sometimes. That is not what I wanted to hear I wanted answers now I have something that maybe at least and idea of what may have caused it.
So they are doing research and they are finding things but just not fast enough it seams.
Roberta

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to brcansur's response:
Interesting Roberta! Thanks for sharing - I'm going to see if we have published any studies that explore that theory...

Haylen

brcansur replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Haylen,
Thank you I couldn't remember everything he said but the main stuff I did. If you find anything I would really like to read it I am also going to ask my doctor the one that does the group if he has anything in writing that I could have about this. I like learning as much as I can about this and anything that may help me and others in the battle to cure breast cancer. I would love to see the day that no one else has to go through what all of us ladies on here havegone through and still go through because of it.
Thank you so much for all you do to help us all and try and get answers for us. Have a great day angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

goodlook121 responded:
(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Hello
My name is jessica i saw your profile today at (webmd.com)and became interested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send a mail to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am.Here is my email address(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com).I believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.jessica.(Remember the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life)
Please reply me with my email address

(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Helpful Tips

What Is The Pink Bus???
One of our great resources is our famous PINK BUS! Some of you are familiar with her. Others may need a little introduction so I went back ... More
Was this Helpful?
60 of 75 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center