Skip to content
New Diagoned- Any advice
justkarenc posted:
I know everyone's reaction to chemo is different. But after the chemo treatment, how long are you sick for?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

judyfams responded:
That's individual. Every bodyhas a different reaction, and I'm sure you'll hear from ladieswho will share their reactions with you. I had no problems.
What I did was to keep a daily journal of my reaction to my first chemo. I recorded how I felt each day from the day before through the week following the chemo infusion. Then I knew which days were my rough days and which were no problem so I could plan my days through the rest of my chemo treatmens.
I found that I got through it with no real problems by eating lean protein every 2 hrs. with lots of fruits and veggies and massive quantities of water and soups to stay hydrated. I cut out all processed, fast and fried foods too.
I also made sure to rest when i felt tired, and let family do things for me. I did not try to be a hero.
I had 6 rounds of cytoxan/taxotere 3 weeks apart and had no problem tolerating the chemo.
I hope you too have an experience similar to mine. Please let us know how you are doing when you start your chemo.
Much good luck to you,
Judy

jenna291 replied to judyfams's response:
Everyone reacts differently, and it depends on the type of drugs and how often you are administered them. I had ac every two weeks then taxol every two weeks. Total treatment was 16 weeks. I also had a neulasta shot after every chemo for a white blood count boost.
I will tell you that I did get tired a lot, but managed a lot of side effects like nausea but eating small meals every few hours. Be sure to stay hydrated. I also drank "boost" for added nutrition when nothing else seemed appealing.
Rest, rest, rest, and let others do for you! This is a time when you need to accept any and all help, and just put yourself first.
Are you asking this question because you will be doing chemo or a family member/friend?
Let us know any and all questions and we will do our best to help!

Jenna

justkarenc replied to jenna291's response:
I am asking because I am going to start chemo on 12/21. I want to try and go back to work during this time and I will be talking to my doctor about that.

Thank you for your information I have heard many people saying small meals every 2 hours or so and staying hydrated. Boost was also suggested to me.

justkarenc replied to judyfams's response:
thanks Judy. I was wondering the types of food I should be eating and the lean protein with lots of fruits and veggies really help.

I have poland springs water delivered to my house so I will be drinking lots of it.

I hope I have the same experience, thank you for sharing your experience

brcansur replied to justkarenc's response:
Hello, I wanted to say that I agree with Judy and Jenna that small meals every few hours and making sure you drink plenty of fluids was a great help to me also and the proteins all great ideas. I found if I didn't eat something every 2 hours I would start getting a upset stomach so I made sure to eat something even if it was my raisin toast with peanut butter lol. Crackers with peanut butter. Lots of green tea ginger ale flat !! couldn't do the bubbles !! But like Judy said everyone is different so play with the food thing till you find what works for you. I also had to have milk shakes for the first 3 chemos but after that could not do anything with dairy in it still can't almost 5 years later. Taste sour to me. I had the same chemo as Jenna but all at the same time every 3 weeks. I would go in at 9 am and be there all day 2 days later go in for the shoot for the blood cells that made me feel worse then the chemo did. I found getting up and moving every hour or so made a big difference the more active you stay the better. So I made sure to go for walks even if a short one get outside as much as possible the fresh air makes you feel better also. Hope this helps you oh and rest when you feel tired your body knows best listen to it. Have a great weekend angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

justkarenc replied to brcansur's response:
Thank Roberta. I have peanut butter and need to get more crackers. I have diet pepsi but ginger ale will be better.

I will take walks when the weather allows it, I live in CT I do have a tread mill so when the weather is bad I will make sure I walk on the treadmill or just around the mall.

My treatment will be 2 hours long every 2 weeks.

Hello, Sounds like you are handeling things pretty well and getting ready for what is to come that is good. Hey on really bad days I would just walk around my house and do some dusting put dishes away or fold the wash. Any movement is better then nothing at all. If I went to the mall every time the weather was bad in UP State NY I would have a very thin wallet lol.lol. I love to window shop but I like to shop even more lol. Plus the hot coffee and snacks that are at the mall love peanut butter cookies during chemo couldn't get enough of them oh so good !!! I didn't have a lot of energy but made sure to move around everyday and on good days would get out side and did some hiking love to be in the outdoors as much as I can. I had my chemo from May til Aug so better weather then you will have sorry about that for you. But I also got a lot of craft things done on bad days like making hats, scarves and blankets and donated them all . I made 47 sets of the hats and scarves and gave them to the shelter for the homeless for children. The blankets I made 10 and gave them to the hospital nicu for women that didn't have one to take there baby home in that winter. I just needed to stay busy and keep my hands busy also. It helped keep my mind off what was going on in my life and that someone else could use my help even when I was down and it kept me moving. The best part it got my arms and chest muscles moving after my bi mast and I wasn't even thinking about that lol.
So just do what ever feels good to you that day that gets you moving one way or the other any movement is better then none at all. Because you will have some that you just don't have the energy to walk so sit and do something else fun.
I will be thinking of you and sending all good wishes and loads of angel hugs to keep you warm and comfort you, Roberta,
Roberta

Thanks Roberta. I am staying positive. There is nothing I can do about getting the cancer, so I am fighting it. I'm stronger than it and will do what I need to get better which I am on my way. After the surgery I was moving around even if it was just to get water in the kitchen or get the mail. My son and sister waited on me and it was nice at first but I knew I need to do some small things myself.

justkarenc,
Hello, I was the same way do anything to stay active and after a while of someone taking care of you it gets old. I love your attitude you are stronge and the stronger you feel mind,body and soul the better it will be for you to get through this and beat the beast. You will notice a little each day that you feel better the more you get out with friends and family doing things you love to do helps. Or like you said just doing stuff around the house it doesn't matter just do something that gets you moving and your mind off the bad stuff. Plus the more you move the faster all that junk gets out of your body and you build yourself back up.
You sound like you have it under control and are being very postive and staying strong you are not going to let this get you down you are going to win this battle hands down !!! That is great keep up the great work and know we are here for you any time 24/7. Don't get me wrong I know there maybe some down days we all still have them but we know we can get through them and move on. Think about it if you can get through being dx and surgery what can't you get through now that is the bottom there is nothing worse so there is only looking up and getting better each and every day. Keep smileing and keep living life to the fullest because we only have one life to live and hey we deserve to have a blast !!!
Have a great day Angel Hugs Roberta,
Roberta

Thanks Roberta. I have many compliments on my attitude and my team is a possible group. No negativity allowed. My sister had a difficult time accepting my breast cancer when she first heard it crying and stuff. I know I had 5 days to think about do I have cancer so when I got the results I was okay, my sister had a couple of hours when I told her. I told my brother she had 2 weeks to get herself together. She is fine now and very supportive.

I thinking going back to work makes my normal again so if I can do it I will. After all the wondering advice I am getting I have no doubt I will be able to work during the 8 treatments.

Karen

jenna291 replied to justkarenc's response:
I love it - no negativity allowed. Your attitude will help keep you strong because being negative zaps the much needed energy out of you.

I stayed home during my 8 treatments (every 2 weeks). It was this time of year thru March, and I was tired and afraid of getting sick. Everyone is different and you do what you feel you can, but remember to rest and take care of YOU. That is most important right now.

best with it all ~
Jenna

Karen,
Hello, You sound so good and the no negativity is a great idea it helps a lot to stay positive Jenna is so right on with the negative taking a lot of energy from us. We need all of our energy to fight the beast and get better. So here is to staying positive and staying strong healthy and getting better. I am sending loads of best wishes and angel hugs to you and your family to help you get through this. I hope your sister does better each and everyday it isn't easy but it is doable as we all have learned here. Have a great day angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

got my port in today. when to hospital at 10 surgery was 11 am home now at 2 watching General Hospital with a little pain not much

rachael67 replied to justkarenc's response:
Good news!

Continue to send good thoughts your way for everything to go smoothly!

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

Helpful Tips

Radiation Burns
I had terrible burns over 2/3rds of my breast after 7 weeks of radiation & I was miserable. Here is what I did. The doctor told me to ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center