Skip to content
what happens you chose not take to take the hormone pills?
babyboomer1977 posted:
I was just wondering what would happen if I chose not to take my hormone pills for breast cancer?

judyfams responded:
Nobody - not even a doctor can predict that for you. The only thing doctors will tell you is that statistics show there is a lesser % chance of recurrence of the cancer in groups followed who take the hormone pills.
In fact the newest recommendation is to continue taking the pills for 10 yrs. instead of 5.
So the bottom line is that this is your choice. Some women opt not to take these pills because of a quality of life issue.
I would say that you should do research and then make the decision that is right for you and ultimately gives you peace of mind. That goal should drive you to make your decision.
I wish you good luck.
Let us know what you decide to do and how you made your decision.
Judy

cancer47 responded:
I decided not to take any oral meds after having stage 2B bc. I did surgery, 4 chemo and 35 rads and full hysterectomy. I felt that I had done enough. That was 2 1/2 years ago and I have felt it was the best decision for me. Quality of life was and not all the side effects. It seems whatever side effects drugs cause I get. Make you own decision and you'll know whats best for you.

rachael67 responded:
Sadly there is no clear-cut answer. Each individual patient and each individual case is unique. As I had DCIS, 35 rad sessions and no chemo, I weighed the risks vs benefits for me and came to the decision to not take the anti-hormones.

Did I make the right choice? Only time will tell...and then, maybe not even that! Suppose I have a recurrence...Would I know definitely that would NOT have happened had I taken the meds? Or that even before the recurrence, while taking the meds, my life would not have been miserable from the side-effects?

For treatment choices it is much like life ...A total crap shoot! You do your research, talk to experts, give it much thought and then make a decision. One caution? Never look back and second guess yourself as you will do the best you can at the time. The angels can't do more!

Blessings and hope.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

kiwiallright responded:
Hi,

In 2001 I choose not to take Tamoxifin, mainly because of the side effects, I was told that it only gave me a 2% increase, and felt that it was not worth it. In 2009, a new primary BC occurred and as it was a new primary the Tamoxifin would not have stop it, may have prolonged the timing of the new primary. After 2009 I tired Aromazin and Femara but did not like the side effects and as the 2009 cancer metastatized Aug 2011 I have chosen to take Femara versus going through chemo again. It is keeping the cancer stable. If it had not returned I probably would not have taken it. My odds in 2001 of it coming back was 10% within the first five years. The odds in 2009 were about 75% that it would be back within 5 years.
So again always take charge and do what is best for you....

The choice is always yours,

goodlook121 responded:
(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Hello
My name is jessica i saw your profile today at (webmd.com)and became interested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send a mail to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am.Here is my email address(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com).I believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.jessica.(Remember the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life)
Please reply me with my email address

(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Helpful Tips

DIEP Flap Survival
Sept 7, 2012: Bilateral Mastectomy and immediate DIEP Flap reconstruction. I live in Washington, DC, area and have great insurance and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center