Skip to content
PET/CT SCAN should this be done to take a closer look?
misara posted:
I have asked my doctors to give me one and all 3 of my doctors (Surgeon, Chemo Oncologist and Radiology Oncologist) say that the test is unnecessary since they are going to be treating my breast cancer very aggressively. My sister and I are not sure why they wouldn't want to look more closely. Should I fight to have this done? Does it show that the cancer was killed by the chemo or will it still show that I have it? My last chemo is 1/3/13 and then about 2 weeks after I start radiation.

I had a lumpectomy in July with two lymph nodes showing positive I have Stage 2 estrogen positive BC. Have been undergoing chemo since 8/31/12.

brcansur responded:
misara,
Hello and welcome, To answer your question this is what happened for me everyone and their doctors are different. It will be 5 years for me in Feb since dx and March since bi mast. Ok I never have had a Pet scan as of yet I only had ct scan when there was an issue with my inplants infections from what we think was a spider bite. Other then that they feel we should not over do it with the rad from them if not needed because we have had so much put into our bodies already. At least that si how all of my doctors feel about them. If I am having any problems with headaches and bone pain I did get a full body bone scan done and a MRI but that was all and only one time since chemo was done. They all came back fine just my other health issues fibro and arthritis acting up. So it isn't uncommon to not have these scans done after treatment is over. I hope this has helped and eases your mind some and your worries. I know it gets a little crazy at times just wondering what is going to happen when they are done with all of this and I have nothing else to take care of it. I have been there I am triple neg so after chemo that was it for me now it is a sit and wait. So I just decided I wasn't going to do that I was going to pick myself back up and not let cancer get me down. I live everyday as a new day a new beginning if I can put my feet on the floor and get out of bed it is a great day
I live everyday to the fullest and try and do something fun everyday no matter what even if it is in the house like sewing, cooking, baking or just holding my little guy in my arms and reading him a book. We have to go on and not look back and worry what if everyday because if we do cancer has won !!!
We are the winners here so please stay strong and try not to let this beast get to you and plant that worry bug in your head that you need those scans in order to stay healthy. Hopefully you and your doctors will stay on top of things and will know if and when you will ever need one done. Till then just have fun and live your life to the fullest and smile because you are here and can !!!!! Have a great day Angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

rachael67 responded:
I can appreciate several reasons that the medical team are not in favor of a CT scan: It is expensive. Radiation is the prime component of this test. It is not indicated as necessary in your case at this point. Problems with false positives, and what might be necessary then to insure that it is false.

They might at some point feel that the situation indicates the need for one, and it could then be helpful. (The medical community, just as we, need to always weigh benefit vs risk...)

Perhaps it might be helpful to ease your concerns if you have an open and frank conversation as to why you feel it might be a good idea. Sometimes the physicians feel our silence indicates full agreement with their plan of treatment. Make it clear so that they can give the full picture as they see it!

I am sure others will chime in and you will get some good input. And I hope that you and your docs can arrive at a mutually agreeable spot...Stress isn't a good neighborhood, and I am hoping you can feel more comfortable about the plan

Blessings.
Rachael
There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle."

Albert Einstein

mhall6252 responded:
Misara,

It's fairly common for oncologists to not order a scan for lower stage breast cancer, even after treatment is complete. I would ask for tumor markers at every follow-up so that if you see them rise above the normal limit, you have a basis for making the request for scans. And your doctor has a basis for getting approval from your insurance company to pay for the scan. Also, if you have any unusual pain that persists for more than a few days, be sure to notify your doctor. That can be another justification for a scan. There's a lot of radiation involved in PET/CT scans and they are expensive.

Insist on CA27.29 tumor marker tests and there's a good chance that the results will either ease your mind or give and your oncologist cause to look for a cause.

Hugs,
Michelle
Michelle
Read my blog at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you!

goodlook121 responded:
(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Hello
My name is jessica i saw your profile today at (webmd.com)and became interested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send a mail to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am.Here is my email address(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com).I believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.jessica.(Remember the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life)
Please reply me with my email address

(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Helpful Tips

Alternative consumer self-test device for early detection of breast cancer?
This may be an interesting personalized alternative for early detection to then be verified through Breast MRI/Mammography: Eclipse, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center