Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Thanks so much for all your support.
GGrandmaJan posted:
You are all the best. Thanks so very much for all your posts. Thanks Rachael, for letting our friends know about my Mother.

Very sad to report she passed away on Sat. Jan 5th in the hospital with her G'kids and family around her. She died the way she lived with courage and dignity. She would have celebrated her 93rd BD on Feb 14th this year. She enjoyed her life to the max. My DH and her played pool on Thanksgiving day-- again on Christmas Eve after we had taken her out to dinner. She had spent Christmas Day with us and family and really enjoyed herself.

Please do not be sad for her or I as we shared a very long happy life together. I am so thankfull she did not suffer, was in no pain, and the hospital was awesome.

Thurs night the assisted living place called me about 11 pm told me she was vomiting and diarrhea--- could I come down and sit with her as they had 10 other residents with the same thing. I thought it was the flu but after helping her back to bed my heart knew it was something pretty serious. The Day shift RN (who was my very favorite) had come in to help the staff with this crisis. Amy kept coming in and checking on us. I laid down on the bed with my Mother, talking to her and asking her if she knew who I was. at that time she said yes, my daughter. I read to her from the Bible and was just talking to her. Amy kept coming in and taking her vital signs. About 2:30 my Mother vomited pretty violently. I rang for the nurses. Amy came rushing in and accessed the situation. Called me out into the living room said very sternly to me, "Jan, I HAVE to send her to the hospital. I can not have your Mother dying of the flu" I knew both of us knew it was more than just the flu. I begged her to let me have a little more time but I knew she was right.

After they got her to the hospital did a CT scan found she had had a massive stroke and there was no hope of recovery. The ER doc was super nice. He said it could be hours or a few days. Very caring and oh so kind. The hospital was over-flowing so had to wait for a private room. Around 5 am I started calling family before most of them left for work. She was surrounded with love from her family.

Again I so rely on this board for support and I thank you all for your kindness. As my Mother lived her whole life in another town that is where her service will be a 150 miles north of here. Yesterday I went down to her apt and found in her file cabinet exactly what I was looking for. Her funeral plans.

She had her whole service planned out even to what she wants the Pastor to say. Including songs, details of who does what and etc. One think that just cracked me up was her statement.

"I request a NO drinking party!!!! If any of the survivors has a problem with this THAT is just too bad." Then she signed the paper.

Yep, that was my Mother still giving me instructions and directions from heaven!!!!
Thanks,
Jan
He who laughs at himself--never runs out of things to laugh at!! quoted by Me.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

brcansur responded:
Jan,
I am so sorry to hear of your mothers passing but as you said I will not be sad for her but remember all that you shared with us about her. The story of her jar of money to play BUNGo with that she put away and no one could find. Oh did you find it yet?? lol. That was my favorite one by the way and I will never forget it and I now have a jar of money I am keeping but not for Bingo it is for a trip someplace specail some day.
I have the picture of her you sent me opening her gift from you on Christmas how happy she looked in that picture. I will look at it and remember her each night and say a prayer for her and your family. May you all be at peace and know I am sending loads of angel hugs your way Roberta,
Roberta

mhall6252 responded:
Dear Jan,

I just read your email then came here to offer my condolences. Like when my mom passed away, I will not be sad for your mom, but I am sure you will miss her. I am glad you have such wonderful memories of the recent holidays. And how wonderful that she left you a plan for her final arrangements, that takes some of the pressure off you.

That sounds like quite a drive for her service - I will send positive thoughts for good weather. May you find peace and joy in your fond memories of your mom.

Love and hugs,
Michelle
Michelle
Read my blog at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you!

GGrandmaJan replied to brcansur's response:
Oh Oh, Roberta, I forgot about the jar of quarters!!!! Thanks so much for reminding me. I am not sure what all I will find tucked away safe and sound. LOL. She certainly was a character.

Be very careful of this new type of flu going around. It is not the flu you get the shot for but a different strain. Colonial (assisted living place) now has 1/2 of their residents coming out of it and some getting it. All our hospitals in Western Wa are full to over-flowing. All the way from Oregon border to the Canadian border. They are restricting all visitors. Haven't closed any schools yet because of it.

So far I got it, my nephew, my daughter, my step-son all came down with it in hours from being with my Mother. I had the nurse check her for flu but it came back negative. But she had this virus stuff. It starts with aches pains, vomiting and diarrhea even before you feel sick. Mine only lasted 24 hrs but don't know yet about the others. But I came home and immediately took lommital and nausea meds as I had them available. It is very hard on the very young and elderly plus comprimised immune systems.

Might I suggest if you go out into the public wear a dang mask. Or STAY home. So far there have been 6 deaths in our State directly related to this flu. It is Nation Wide. Check out the CDC web-site and you can see the map.

Please stay safe and protect yourselves. Wash hands!!!

Hugs.
Jan

GGrandmaJan replied to mhall6252's response:
Thanks Michelle, for your email and your condolences. Yes, I will miss her terribly but have such happy funny memories.

Do protect yourself from this flu.
Hugs.
Jan

Shell1007 responded:
Jan,
So sorry to hear about your Mom.
I love the fact she left detailed instructions on her service, sounds like that was just "her"
I hope the weather does not turn nasty for your travel to the service.
Sending good thoughts & prayers as always
Take care
Shell

rachael67 responded:
Dear Friend, we are with you in your mourning, holding your hand and supporting you with thoughts and prayers.

Your post is a testament to a good Mom and a loving daughter! Love that she had the final word!

Please feel us beside you though these difficult days.

Blessings always.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

jenna291 replied to rachael67's response:
Hi Jan,
God bless you and your entire family, and I am so very glad you got to spend the holidays with your mom and created some beautiful memories. That truly is wonderful. She sounds like she was a super fun person - just like you!
Good luck with the drive and I sure hope the weather cooperates for you getting to the service.
This flu going around is truly nasty. My daughter was violently sick with it and could not stop vomited for an entire day. She fell asleep leaning on the toilet the night she had it. I just hope the rest of my family doesn't get it.... not much you can do about it.
Sending you happy thoughts and many blessings. We all are with you in spirit.

love,
Jenna

GGrandmaJan replied to rachael67's response:
Oh Rachael, You have no idea what a "Final" word she had. LOL. I just got off the phone to the Furneral Home. Can you believe it she even had her casket picked out. OMG. When he told me that I just started laughing. I couldn't help myself.
That was the one thing I couldn't figure out how to do by email or Fax. LOL.

He said a lot of people come in and state but Mom or Dad had made all the arrangements just to find out all they had done was do the info for the death certificate and nothing else. He said "Then there was your Mother!!!" She had been in there numerous times to up-date information as her chosen pall-bearers kept going before her. So she would give him other names.

She was definitely a Hoot!!! What a Woman.

He said the last time she was in was about 2001. Then he said he knew she had moved down to Centralia. He didn't say just what year she had started all of this.

When I talked to my ex-daughter-in-law yesterday she asked me why my Mom hadn't put the grand-sons on as pall-bearers. I was laughing so hard when I told Terri, I didn't think the boys were even born when Mom started her planning. Then we both were laughing so hard. Today they are 20 and 22. Isn't that just the funniest thing ever!!!

Every time I turn around this is done or that is done.

This should be one of our New Year's resolutions. Plan what we want so we are sure to get it.

Giggling in WA.
Jan

GGrandmaJan replied to Shell1007's response:
Thanks Shell,
Yep, that was just Her. Organized to the max. Now I understand a little better how frustrated she was to lose her memory so bad. Had to be so horrible for her as she was a planner and organizer.

Dang---put's me to shame. LOL.

Hugs
Jan

judyfams replied to GGrandmaJan's response:
Oh Jan, how bittersweet for you!
Your mom was certainly an exceptionally courageous and strong woman - the apple doesn't fall far from the tree in your family.
She died without being in pain, but she had you physically by her side - not many people can pass in the embrace of a loved one.
I am so sorry that you are going through this - but knowing you I am sure that while there will be no drinking at the funeral, there will be laughter and wonderful stories and lots of love! Is there a way for your boobie cupcakes to show up on the table at the repast??????????
Please know that you are in my thoughts - it is very hard to lose the last parent - so please allow yourself time to grieve too.
With much love and a heavy heart from your NJ friend.
Judy

cindy12345678 responded:
Jan,
I am sorry for your loss. I am glad your Mother had a long
wonderful life. Best wishes to you.
Cindy

brcansur replied to GGrandmaJan's response:
Jan,
I was reading some of the other posts and you had me laughing and remembering some of the stories about your mom. But the one that gets me most is how she had everything planed and organized to the key but she put that jar away so good she couldn't find it her slef. Oh how that reminds me of someone else that is so much like her umm do you know who that may be?? lol.lol. How you put things away for safe keeping but then can't for the life of you remember where they are when you need them lol.lol.... I hope you find that jar of coins and hopefully a lot more nice things to remind you of all the good times you spent there with your mom. I know you are going to have a few good laughs while going through her things and finding things you didn't know she still had or had at all in that room of hers. But you will also have some sad times let them come also it is exspected and normal. I would like to know where you find that jar of money for her Bingo games.
I am sending you my prayers and best wishes for great weather and no more flu coming your way. Angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

GGrandmaJan replied to brcansur's response:
Thanks Roberta,
You are so sweet. I sent you an email.

Hugs.
Jan

GGrandmaJan replied to Shell1007's response:
Thanks Shell,
I will miss her so much but we did have a long wonderful life together.

The flu seems to be a problem more than the weather. So many of my family has it now. I think the service will be on the 19th so hopefully the family will all be feeling better.

Hugs.
Jan

Helpful Tips

DIEP Flap Survival
Sept 7, 2012: Bilateral Mastectomy and immediate DIEP Flap reconstruction. I live in Washington, DC, area and have great insurance and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center