Skip to content
Prophylactic Masctectomy - What to expect?
555Lindsey posted:
Hello Ladies,

I am thankful that I just found this group online. God bless all of us strong women! Wishing everyone a healthy 2013. The last time I joined a WebMd discussion group it was when I was pregnant with my now 3 year-old.

I am 26 years-old. I had a lumpectomy over 2 years ago which revealed that I have LCIS. Because of that and several other factors, doctors believe I have an 85% chance of developing BC in my lifetime.

Therefore, I have finally been able to gain enough strength & courage to schedule my double masctectomy w/ immediate reconstruction on February 13, 2013 (coming up quick!). I elected to get the Latismus Flap procedure b/c the plastic surgeon said he could create the same-shape breasts w/o having to put in expanders. I am trying to be strong, but I am having a really tough time anticipating this operation. Has anyone had this procedure? Can anyone give me some tips of what I can expect for the recovery or what I should know going into this? I have never had surgery before nor anesthesia and I just don't know what to expect. I have 2 LO's (3 & 7). My mom will be able to stay w/ me for a week or two. It is a tough situation because my husband doesn't exactly support me in my decision. He thinks it is crazy to put my body through all this even though I am perfectly healthy. I think he will come around eventually, at least i'm hoping.

Thanks for reading! God bless.

mhall6252 responded:
Welcome, Lindsay. This is a very difficult decision but with an 85% chance of developing BC, I think you're making the wise decision. I don't have much to offer regarding your reconstruction. I had a double mastectomy and tissue expanders, which eventually had to be removed for radiation treatment. Mine is a complicated situation... If someone doesn't chime in with some advice on the recon, you might check out breastcancer.org. There are many thousands of women who participate in the discussions there, and you will find lots of help specific to your type of surgery and recon. It's great that your mom will be there for your little ones. You will have very restrictive weight limitations for a few weeks, so any help will be good. And tell your hubby that breast cancer is devastating; with your odds, whatever you can do to avoid it and the potentially deadly consequences is very wise. There's risk in any surgery, but there is no cure for breast cancer.

Best of luck to you, and check back in with us to let us know how you are doing.

Hugs,
Michelle
Michelle
Read my blog at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you!

goodlook121 responded:
(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Hello
My name is jessica i saw your profile today at (webmd.com)and became interested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send a mail to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am.Here is my email address(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com).I believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.jessica.(Remember the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life)
Please reply me with my email address

(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Helpful Tips

DIEP Flap Survival
Sept 7, 2012: Bilateral Mastectomy and immediate DIEP Flap reconstruction. I live in Washington, DC, area and have great insurance and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center