Skip to content
About this FLU that is going around
brcansur posted:
Has any one heard or had this new case of the flu they are talking about so much on the news it has me worried because they said last night that the flu shot they are giving does not work against this flu. ?? Then why get the shot if isn't going to help anyways? The numbers of people getting it is going up so much each day and people have even dies from it it is very scary. I seen that Boston is in a Flu Emergency because of it. That is even more scary.
Jenna that made me think of you I hope you and your family are ok please take care and hopefully flu free.
Everyone I am wishesing you all a safe and healthy winter flu free be safe and take care of yourself make sure to wash your hands and stay away from the hospitals and clinics if you don't have to be there. Good luck all.Angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

GGrandmaJan responded:
Roberta,
This new flu that is taking over the country is like the Nora-viris the Cruise ships get. It is severe vomiting and diaherria. You need to drink lots of fluids mainly cranberry juice and WASH HANDS.

Stay away from any public places. Last week all the hospitals in Western WA were full to over-flowing. the good thing is it seems to only last 36-48 hours. I am sure it is air-borne. As we were in the hosp due to my Mother we were breathing all the nasty air. I came down with it. my daughter, my nephew, my step-son as we were all in my Mother's room. That is how fast it spreads.

It is worse on the elderly and infants. So do NOT go out in Public. Wear a mask if you have to go out.

Take a sanitatary lotion with you and wash your hands with it everytime you touch anything. At my Mother's assisted living place they have a bottle of that lotion outside of everyone's room. The place is in quarantee still after 2 weeks. Over 1/2 of the residents are either getting over it or coming down with it.

Just stay Home. It is Nation wide. Check out the CDC website for more info. Good luck.
Hugs.
Jan
He who laughs at himself--never runs out of things to laugh at!! quoted by Me.

GGrandmaJan replied to GGrandmaJan's response:
Also, the flu shot is very important. So far, my DH who had the shot has not got this. Please, pray he doesn't. My Mothers service is on the 19th and I really need him healthy.

It seems to hit the elderly (crap that is now me. LOL) the infants and one's with a compremized immune system. After 5 days my stomach is still acting up but I am sure it is mostly from nerves at the moment.

Please, Everyone be extra carefull. They are predicting the worse flu season in 10 years. It is NOT to late to get the flu shot. All the Dr's in Washington are recommending it.

Stay safe.
Jan

jenna291 replied to GGrandmaJan's response:
Hi ladies,
My daughter had it so bad she fell asleep on the bathroom floor in between vomiting. She felt lousy for about 3 days. It kicks the heck out of you. I am hoping the rest of us don't get it. Using bathrooms in public is tough, and also even exchanging money in the grocery store. There are germs absolutely everywhere! I carry my antibacterial hand wash everywhere, but you can only do so much to protect yourself. Boston is booming with new cases every day, and its been in my house, so yikes, keep your fingers cross that me, my husband, and my son don't get it!
Unfortunately every year there are so many new flu strains that the vaccine doesn't help with, but still it is important to get it. Who knows, maybe it will help with symptoms of another strain.

Here's to good health to all ~
Jenna

brcansur replied to jenna291's response:
Jenna,
I am sending loads of good luck wishes that the rest of you don't get the flu to bad that your daughter got it but happy she is better.
I also carry the antibacterial hand wash every place I go and use it all the time. I have a small one for my puse and just keep refilling it from a big bottle I have at home. You have to now days just to many germs and things out there that you can pick up. I also use my shirt or coat to open doors or those handy cap buttons to open them. I don't use public rest rooms unless I really really have to been like that since a very young child so my mom told me years ago. So that helps me out some but still we have to be so careful right now. I can't get the flu shot due to allergies so I have to be even more careful during flu season. That is why this has me asking so many questions and worried. Well everyone stay safe and heres to good health without the flu. Angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

GGrandmaJan replied to brcansur's response:
Hi All,

For those that CAN get the flu shot---Get it. Certain areas are running low. It does not help with this stuff going around right now BUT---it will help.

They are reporting on the news this AM we are now into an epedimic of flu. Nationwide. Didn't really state which kind tho.

Be carefull and STAY home if you can. They are closing schools in some areas of the South. Business's are also closing.

WASH HANDS----Wash Hands.

Stay safe.
Jan

rachael67 replied to GGrandmaJan's response:
And the news continues to confuse me!!

YES, get the shot as it is a good match for what is going around (unlike other years). From my understanding, there is no guarantee that everyone will be totally protected, but for young people I understand it has an 80% protection and for the rest of us it has a 60% protection. Good odds!

If you have the shot and get the flu, I understand it will not be a severe. Again, a good thing!

However (here comes the other shoe dropping!)...from what I hear there are also two other not-so-nice bugs going around!! Whooping cough is making a comeback due to a change in the inoculation given about 10 years ago. Apparently it does not have such a long-life protection and must be followed by a booster every so many years.

Also...narovirus is on the march! (This is the same virus which every so often breaks out aboard ships and in nursing homes, etc.) It effects the gastro-intestinal system and the threat of dehydration with it is severe. (Jan, I am wondering if this might be the culprit that hit at your Mom's nursing home??? Or maybe even a combination?)

I am confused about the symptoms of the flu as I had always heard that a true flu is primarily in the upper respiratory system and not the stomach. Then, with this one I am hearing it affects the gut. Now, however, with this latest news about the narovirus, I am wondering...Is that a symptom of both? Or has the villain been this other virus??? CNN isn't helping! Even Sanjay Gupta didn't clarify things!!!!

If anyone has better info, please post!

Meanwhile, stay healthy!
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

brcansur replied to rachael67's response:
Rachael,
I stand where you are not totally understanding this whole thing or should I just say I really don't understand it at all. There is so much going on and around that I just don't get it all but know I really don't want to get any of it. I plan on staying in when I can only going out in public when I have to. Then being very careful when I do Because I can't get the shot I have to be very careful during flu season and around any one that is sick.
Hope all stay flu free and what ever else that maybe going around. Angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

cindy12345678 replied to brcansur's response:
I hope none of us get the flu. I think the upper respritory
kind is still going around here. It has been bad. The er-s
are overloaded with people. You have to wash your hands
( mine are so dry) and not touch your face. You have to
eat healthy and get alot of vitaminC.
People have been sick at work. Thats hard to avoid.
Good luck to everyone,
Cindy

goodlook121 responded:
(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Hello
My name is jessica i saw your profile today at (webmd.com)and became interested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send a mail to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am.Here is my email address(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com).I believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.jessica.(Remember the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life)
Please reply me with my email address

(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Helpful Tips

What Is The Pink Bus???
One of our great resources is our famous PINK BUS! Some of you are familiar with her. Others may need a little introduction so I went back ... More
Was this Helpful?
60 of 75 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center