Skip to content
Oncotype Dx scores & decisions
mbhinsc posted:
I'd like to hear from women who have made the chemo / no chemo decision based on their Oncotype Dx scores. My score came back relatively low - 12 - but if feel that I should still go forward with chemo. If I don't go forward with chemo I feel I would always question whether I did the right thing. I can make it through the chemo .. and even if it helps reduce recurrence just a small percentage, I feel it's worth it. I'm supposed to let my doc know my decision in a couple of days. I'm stage 1B, micrometastis only in a single lymph node, and and pre-menopausal so I don't fit neatly into any of the completed studies for the oncotype results.

Thanks for any feedback!

judyfams responded:
My onco score was 19 and I opted to do chemo - 6 rounds of cytoxan/taxotere.
My reasons for doing chemo were the same as yours, and that was 2 years ago and I have never regretted my decision.
That being said, my only advice to you is that you MUST do what will give you peace of mind. Many women may respond to you and you will hear reasons why you should or should not do chemo.
But it must be your choice as to what you want to do - each of us must make the treatment choices that we are comfortable with. It is your body, and your decision and hopefully whatever decision you make will be supported by your family.
Much good luck,
Judy

mbhinsc replied to judyfams's response:
Thanks Judy. Did you have a difficult time with the chemo, and did you suffer any after effects ...(neuropathy, etc.the list is long!) You say you never regretted your decision, and wondering if you had any second thoughts at all. Thanks again for your kind advice.

judyfams replied to mbhinsc's response:
I had no problems with my chemo combo. I was able to schedule chemo on Thurs. Neulasta shot on Fri and rest on Sat & Sun.
I also completely changed the way i ate - many small meals every 2 - hrs.. My meals were filled with lean proteins, lots of water, soups, fruits and veggies. I eliminated all fast, fried, processed or packaged foods.Sometimes your taste buds make eating certain foods difficult - so then just eat what you can and what agrees with you. Save food diversity for meals post chemo.
I also listened to my body meaningnI did not plan too many things for a single day and if I did and was feeling tired I just didn't do everything - saved those for another day.
I am divorced, married children do not live near, so I was doing this by myself. I drove to and from every chemo, and every radiation. There were friends available if I needed their assistance but I did not want to bother them.
Use your common sense, know you are not Wonder Woman, and take it slow during chemo and you too can do it.
I have had absolutely NO second thoughts - in fact I made tha tdecision all by myself - didn't tinvolve my children because I didn't want them to feel guilty or second guess themselves if I let them make the decision for me.
So no matter what happens to me down the road - no second thoughts, no regrets and lots of peace of mind!
Good luck to you,
Judy

mbhinsc replied to judyfams's response:
Thank you so much Judy, you've helped me immensely.

goodlook121 responded:
(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Hello
My name is jessica i saw your profile today at (webmd.com)and became interested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send a mail to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am.Here is my email address(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com).I believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.jessica.(Remember the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life)
Please reply me with my email address

(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Helpful Tips

DIEP Flap Survival
Sept 7, 2012: Bilateral Mastectomy and immediate DIEP Flap reconstruction. I live in Washington, DC, area and have great insurance and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center