Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
post recon infection
allyish posted:
hello all i have not been in this forum beforei didn't know it existedi have used other BC forums but have a specific question and did a search and found this one wooo hooo anywayi recently had a TE recon 1 3 and it went fine but a week later i developed an infection on my radiated sidethen a week later it spread to the other sidethen a week later it was really super badso i was admitted to the hospital and they removed them it has been almost 6 weeks since the original surgery and iv'e been on antibiotics from the beginning but the radiated side infection will not go away still red and swollen and the antibiotics i'm on hasn't done anything has anyone gone thru this before or have any advice on it? currently i'm waiting to here back from my PS to see what our next step isthank you so much for your help i sincerely appreciate it. ally

judyfams responded:
Ally,
Sorry to hear that you are having such trouble with your reconstruction.
I did not have a mastectomy, I did have radiation and did not have a serious problem with that.
That being said may I suggest that you ask your PS about the possibility of having IV antibiotics since your oral meds have not worked. IV antibiotics go directly into the bloodstream and bypass the digestive system so they are more potent than the pills.
Also have they one blood work to see exactly what organism is causing the infection?
I hope you get some answers so you can get relief.
Please let us know what your PS suggests.
Much good luck,
Judy

GGrandmaJan replied to judyfams's response:
Ally, Have you consulted with your Radiation Dr? I am wondering if it could be related to the rads you received. Just a thought.

I am sending prayers this infection goes away quickly. I think Judy has a good idea about IV antibotics. They do work faster.

Prayers
Jan
He who laughs at himself--never runs out of things to laugh at!! quoted by Me.

allyish replied to judyfams's response:
Thank you Judy! i have read that women who've had my problem have had to do IV antibiotics. and no....no bloodwork done to see what exactly the virus is that's causing the infection. but good suggestions to bring to her attention....thank you so much!

allyish replied to GGrandmaJan's response:
hi GGrandmaJan! you know.....i was going to ask my PS if she considered talking to my radiation dr to see if he would have insight on this. thank you for reconfirming my thoughts.
and thank you for those powerful prayers! i'll take all i can get! )
God bless!
Ally

brcansur responded:
Ally, Hello and welcome sorry to hear that you are haveing troubles but glad you have found us.
Now about the infection and reconsrtuction. I will start by saying I too had reconstruction and about 4 years later ended up with a very bad infection in on eof my breast. But at first it looked like another form of breast cancer it was so bad .Very red and swollen I had a MRI done and then they thought it was a leaking implant so went in for surgery to remove the implant to find out it was fine not leak nothing. They did biopsy of skin fluifd and all they found was staf infection. They still don't know if it was from the actual implant from back in 2008 or from what they think started as a spider bite under my breats.
But I ened up on I.V antibiotics in the hospital for 12 hours then pills at home for 14 days and it did the trick I am fine now with a new implant.
I sure do have a story to tell now and can laugh about it but at the time boy was I scared and all these lovely ladies were there for me and helped me through it all each and everyday. I wish you all the best and please know we are here for you just remember take a nice calming breath and take one day at a time. It will turn out just fine keep trying till they get it right and there is a med out there that will work for you just don't give up and keep calling your doctors till you get it taken care of. I will be thinking of you and sending all good wishes and angel hugs your way Roberta,
Roberta

allyish replied to brcansur's response:
oh roberta! thank you so much for taking the time to respond. your story is inspiring. i know i'm scared right now to go forward but i also know that soooooo many women have gone thru worse......and still kept truckin forward to get to where they finally feel successful. i think i was naive because i had never had this happen before so had no idea it really could. again....compared to others, this is nothing but it's scary for me in the big scheme of why i'm even here on this site.
the advice i have been given is to may suggest a different antibiotic....or IV antibiotic......or give it more time......so i guess i will just wait to see what my PS tells me. and i won't give up on myself. eventually i will be where i'm meant to be. until then......i will meet alot of wonderful people along the way! )
thank you so much!

brcansur replied to allyish's response:
Ally,
You are so very welcome and no matter what always remeber to breath nice calming breaths and that we are always here for you you are never alone. !
I am sure that one of your doctors is going to figure this out and you are going to be just fine. Tell them that you want to try a stronger antibiotic if this one doesn't kick it out of you but good. You can even say you want an I.V. one and see what they tell you. If they still have not done blood work to figure out what kind of infection then they need to do that also. They need to get on top of this thing before giving to many different meds. Just keep standing up for your self and be strong you will be fine in the end the infection will be gone. As you said keep trucking girl and have a great weekend angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

goodlook121 responded:
(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Hello
My name is jessica i saw your profile today at (webmd.com)and became interested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send a mail to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am.Here is my email address(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com).I believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.jessica.(Remember the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life)
Please reply me with my email address

(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Helpful Tips

Radiation Burns
I had terrible burns over 2/3rds of my breast after 7 weeks of radiation & I was miserable. Here is what I did. The doctor told me to ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 18 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center