Skip to content
Reason for being MIA.
GGrandmaJan posted:
Hi All.
Just wanted to tell you what I have been up to lately. I had a "Celebration of my Mother's Life" party here locally for all the friends and family that did not go up to her Service.

I had it at her favorite place the Panda Chinese Rest. My son and grand-son made it down from up north. About a 2 hr drive for them. My daughter also came down from the same area. We had about 30-some people's. One of my friends DH wrote two cute poems. Boy, he is a real character. The poems were both cute and sad.

He writes short stories and poems. I admire him so much. I only met them about 3 yrs ago when I was going thru chemo. Another mutual friend had introduced us. Jeanne has been my local "Rock" and told me about the nice Dr. both of us had until he didn't get his contract renewed. Now I get to tell her about this other Dr I found. I am sure she is going to try to get in to see him, also.

Only thing is the clinic stated he was NOT seeing any new patients. But I cried, stormed and begged them to get me an appt. I explained I was NOT a new patient but fed up with the ones coming down to our town. Determination won the battle once again. LOL.

Back to the party. One of the aides came that played pool with my Mom whenever she had a few minutes each evening. She also told some really cute and funny things I had never heard before.

Of course, I was the one to get up and thank them all for coming. Then I started in with the stories. I was getting so nervous seeing all those EYES looking at me----Then I remembered from one of my speech classes in college---what the instructor had told us. IF you get nervous Just Picture everyone sitting there NAKED!!! Boy, it sure worked for me. LOL LOL.

Can you even imagine????---as most of the guys were Old. I almost got to laughing hystercially at the image of ALL those wrinkles. LOL.

Anyway it was well worth the effort on my part to put this party on for my Mom. Now it is time to relax and head to my sewing room. And to start on this disaster of a house. I am determined to swab out these over-stuffed closets and cupboards. I will leave my sewing room for last. Well, no, I did give my daughter 2 big boxes of baby quilt panels and fabric. Her church group makes small quilts to give to the Crisis Kids when taken away from their parents. So it all will go to a good cause.

Hugs all. Thank you for thinking of me. I am doing fine.
Jan
He who laughs at himself--never runs out of things to laugh at!! quoted by Me.

brcansur responded:
Jan,
Oh Jan that party sounds like it was the perfect thing to do for the perfect last show for your mother almost like a curtain call for her. How sweet and very nice of you to celebrate her life and make it a party and a very happy time not sad I love that. You are a very speacail and kind hearted daughter so very proud of you. Now don't you think you deserve a break some rest time to just sit back and do nothing but relax !!! I think sooo!!!! lol.lol But I know you and that isn't going to happen you have to be doing something lol.lol. So just please do something fun and relaxing to you like sewing lol.lol shopping for fabric lol.lol. See if I was there I would back us up some yummy treats sit down with some coffee and eat them all up while we sit and talk and laugh our heads off. I should get going I have doctors appt all day today one at 10:45 then another at 2 and another at 5:30 I hate when they are spaced out like this because I don't know what to do in between. I already did all kinds of shopping even for myself and fabric shopping now what? I will take my Ipod and listen to music play games and maybe go to lunch by myself yuckkkk!!! I will talk to you later have a great day angel hugs Roberta,
P.S. Nothing wrong just follow ups didn't want you to worry sorry about that. lol.lol.
Roberta

GGrandmaJan replied to brcansur's response:
Geez, Roberta, 3 appts in one day. UGH. I will be at lunch with you if only in spirit. Good luck with it all.

Relax---You do have to be kidding. It is tax time you know. I have to do our Inc junk and also my Mom's. Have been doing my Mom's for the last 4 yrs anyway. I just get all the stuff together and send it north to her tax man.

Ours is more complicated. hate this time of year when all I want to do is SEW. Seems as if there is always too much to do. Especially things I don't want to do. LOL

Hugs to you.
Jan
He who laughs at himself--never runs out of things to laugh at!! quoted by Me.

brcansur replied to GGrandmaJan's response:
Jan,
LOL forgot about tax time with everything else going on I remeber you at tax time lol.lol not a fun time in your house right now oh the words that must be coming out of your mouth I could only imagine. Ok just think about that nice picture of Bon Jovi that Michelle posted he could keep you company while doing your taxes lol.lol but then again you wouldn't get anything done would you. He could help you get everything in order lol. All nice and neat just the way it needs to be lol.lol. Or lay that blanket he has around him out on the floor and have a nice lunch on it lol.lol. Ok are you laughing yet feel better and ready to get some taxes done now well dig in and hope you don't have to much stress this year good luck I will be thinking of you sending all good wishes to get them done fast and easy loads of angel hugs my friend. I have mine all done doe that help ? But I don't have a busness either. Try and have a great day and some fun here and there for your self while getting the darned taxes done ok . Angel hugs Roberta,
Kaiden sends a big hug and kisses.
Roberta

vajanie replied to brcansur's response:
Jan,
I'm exhausted just hearing about what you've been doing. The party for your Mom sounds lovely. It's wonderful that so many people came to remember her, and that you got to hear anecdotes and stories about her that you'd never known. When my mom turned 80 my sisters and I arranged a surprise party for her at a private room in her favorite restaurant. We have family scattered all over the country but I bullied and hounded until every one of them agreed to come. Everyone wrote a letter to her, telling what she had meant to them, and then one sister had them bound into a book. We got up to read them at the party, there were lots of tears shed, especially my older sister who was unable to read hers because she couldn't stop crying. My mom had such a great time, and the next day she got to visit with lots of folks in her home while my four sisters and assorted grandchildren completely re-landscaped her yard.I think she especially enjoyed her surprise party because it wasn't a surprise. I was the only one who lived in town with her, and she would have been outraged if I hadn't told her so she could get her hair done. She was a homemaker most all her life, She had six children in five years, the oldest a single birth, then I was a twin, my twin passed away, and then triplets, all in the 1940's, when she was expected to care for her children with no help, keep a spotless house, and have a hot, home-cooked meal on the table AT 5:30 p.m. She did it all with grace and dignity. I never heard her raise her voice to us. She was the closest thing to an angel I ever knew, and we never had any idea that that would be her last birthday.

I didn't mean to write a novel here, I was just thinking about mothers and what they mean to us. Hope you're well Jan, and you Roberta, I look forward so to your posts.

Best wishes to all,
Janie

brcansur replied to vajanie's response:
Janie,
Hello, I love this story about your mothers 80 birthday party it is such a beautful one. Oh and the memories that must have been talked about and now all the stories you all have to talk about and tell to each other and the grandchildren and their children for years to come. Those are the things that make a family close and very speacail things that no one else can tell but family and very close friends. Keep those stories going never stop telling them that is what will keep her and her memory alive forever and that part of the family remembered for a very long time. Someday there maybe someone looking up the family tree and up come this book of stories or someone tells the stories what better way to remember her and your family Oh how I used to love sitting and listening to my gram talk about the old days and the different things that they did and the people they did them with. I just wish I had written it all down lol.lol. Just keep remebering and hold on to that book and pass it down to someone that will take care of it because it is a treasure now and always will be. Have a great day nagel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

Roberta,
You're right, I need to select the designated keeper of the book, my youngest son I think, he stayed with my Mom a lot while I was still working.
I'm the keeper of stories in my family, and this is true, every now and then one of my sisters will call me wanting the details of a story that happened when we were young, because another sister remembers it a different way. We gather every year at Nags Head and rent the biggest house we can find and fill every bed and the couches with children and repeat the stories we have shared over the years. One year, talking on the beach, we had the children convinced that we even had the stories numbered. They would challenge me, saying "ok, what's story #114?" and I would immediately launch into just anything I could recall. They were pretty much in awe of that until we told them the truth. Kind of mean, but it was funny at the time.

Have a great day yourself Roberta.
Janie

Janie,
hello, I love when people get together and just talk and laugh together about the old days it is such a great feeling and so much fun. To just gather and relax and have no worries for a while just good memories is great we should all do it more often. Plus write them all down because I know my memory isn't what it used to be before chemo lol.lol. I am starting to write now actually I started the day I found my lump in my breast and have been writing ever since. I am keeping a book about the whole journy I was going to do only until my 5 year mark which will be March 31 this year. That is only a few days away I have decided to keep writing until I can't any more. It is very calming and then one day it will be here for any one that wants to know how it was for me and what went on in my life and head for all these years. I used to write when I was younger as a new mom and wife but stopped I don't know why maybe to busy ?! But now I find time at least once a week to fill in what has happened that week and how I am doing good and bad silly sad all of it.
So to hear that you have all of these stories of your moms is so heart warming and such a great thing to pass on to your family. Then seeing that you all get together and tell stories like that is such a great family fun time I could think of nothing better. Those are times that are remembered forever. I love the numbered stories that was so funny if only we could remember the number that they happened in lol.lol. Keep up the story telling and hey write yours down and add another book to the collection. Have a great day angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

Hi Roberta, what a great idea to keep a journal of your fight from the beginning. I certainly wish I'd done that. I've forgotten so much already. I've certainly experienced the full gamut of emotions also. There are wonderful nurses, PAs, nutritonists, pharmacists, that I've met at Duke that I'd like to remember, and so many interesting moments in the infusion suite, I so enjoyed talking with other patients, and wonderful volunteers who brought us goody bags with carefully thought out items in them, not to mention cookies and tea they'd fix us, and of course the heavenly warm blankets. I don't miss the chemo, though I'm thankful for it, but I miss the people. My doctor told me that he has many patients who've told him that they miss coming. I'm glad you have your story written down, and I think it must be very good therapy.

Wish you a great day too,

Janie

Janie,
It is never to late write down what you do remember and when a memorie comes back write it down you can start it at any time they are your memeories and there is now date when you have to write them. So get a nice note book and start wrtiting gal it is a stress releaver also to just get some of that stuff off your mond at the end of a bad day. Or a lot of fun to have the good memories on paper to read about on a bad day to cheer you up. I read my every once in a while and say boy I have come a long way baby and what a fight and load of fun I had a long the way lol. Well I really do need to get going here is to you and your journaling. Have a great day angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

Roberta,
You are so right, it isn't too late. I had found a journal someone gave me years ago. I took it with me to Duke when I started chemo, thinking it would be something interesting to do during the infusion. I then learned that the iv would be put into the top of my right hand since I'd had a left mastectomy. Anyway, I still have the journal, a nice one with wide-lined pages. And I do have many intact memories.
I wish you a great day. It's cold and windy here, good day to make soup.
Janie

Janie,
Hello and good morning, good for you have fun writing I enjoy it plus it really helps to get your feeling out and on paper.
It is also very cold and snowing here today staying in and just getting a few things done and relaxing today. Then back to the same old thing during the week takeing care of Kaiden that is the baby and sewing when I can. It is always a fun week with the little one he is learning and doing new things all the time now he just turned one in Jan so loads of fun lol. lol.
Hope you are having a great day and weekend angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

Hi Roberta,
I will enjoy writing, I'm looking forward to getting started. It was cold and windy here over the weekend, but no snow. We are expecting a big snow on Wednesday, a little unusual this time of year but not unheard of. We went out yesterday and bought a little device that will heat a pan of water in case the power goes off (expecting winds of 40 to 50 mph}. As long as I can have a cup of coffee I feel I can face anything.
I know you must enjoy Kaiden, I loved having small children. I always thought of myself helping to raise grandchildren, but am surprised to have none.
I haven't paid attention to the track of this storm, just know that we're supposed to get it. I hope you don't have more snow, it seems like you've had your share this winter. Hope you enjoy your day.
Janie

Janie,
I am hopeing that the storm you are supposed to get passes by and no power issues let it go around you or not come at all. Yes we have had enough snow for one year but this weekend it was just a little at a time and not what they had called for thank god. It was supposed to have been a northeaster that very wet heavy stuff all weekend into Tuesday. We only got a dusting each day and it wasn't to wet more of a light snow. I just hope it doesn't hit hard today and Tonight. Still cold so going to stay in today with Kaiden and do some sewing if he lets me lol. he is very active now so it is more running after him unless he is in his jumper or seat playing. Plus during his naps I will clean, cook and sew sometimes or nap myself lol. Well I should get something done now that he is napping lol. I wil talk more later have a great day angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

goodlook121 responded:
(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Hello
My name is jessica i saw your profile today at (webmd.com)and became interested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send a mail to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am.Here is my email address(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com).I believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.jessica.(Remember the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life)
Please reply me with my email address

(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center