Skip to content
cancer biopsy on 2/28/13
chrisnes posted:
Hi, I am new to this blog/post.
I went in on 2/14/13 and had a mammogram. 3 hours after my mammogram I was called by the imaging dept in the city nearest me. They said I had a lesion next the pec-muscle and it is 9mm that I have to come in to get another Mammogram and maybe a ultrasound.
On 2/12/13 I went to an orthopedic doctor who took a x-ray of my hip that has been causing me problems. I have been told for years that it is bursitis. This doctor told me I have maybe bone spurs that are rubbing on the muscle on the outside of my right hip. He took x-rays and saw something he didn't know what it was. He said hip fracture, tumor, or maybe a bone defect. He ordered a bone scan.
I went in to the hospital for the bone scan and the breast mammogram on Wednesday.
The Mammogram showed a 11mm by 6mm lesion in my right breast. Then I went for my bone scan, I had to have an injection of some type of safe radiation into my vein and had to drink a lot of water. The scan showed a very bright white spot in the hip area where I am having the pain. A radiologist is to read this and then get the report to my doctor by the 25th. I was informed that my doctor is on some type of administrative leave and nobody knows when he will be back.
I then was told I have to go back up stairs for an ultrasound. The teck-persons doing the ultra sound could not find the lesion. They called the doctor in to do the scan and she couldn't find the lesion either. They said I have dense breasts and the lesion is close to my peck-muscle. They then got a mammogram from 2009 and said that there was no lesion on that mammogram so now I have to go back to the hospital on the 28th and have a ultrasound guided biopsy of the breast lesion. I don't know how they are going to do that because they couldn't find the lesion when they used the ultrasound.
I am really worried here.
My sister died of breast cancer in 1985 she was 32 and I was 19. It was offal. When my sister was 29 they removed a breast and part of her armpit and did not get all of the cancer. The cancer spread to her bones, brain, it went all over and was a terrible way to die.
I don't know if I have cancer. The hip scan and the mammogram have me worried.
Does anyone have any information they can offer.
I don't even know what the 11mm by 6mm means, is that the length and the width of the lesion? Is it the diameter and depth of the lesion in my breast? When I looked at the mammogram it looked like a cluster. There was no pea-shaped image on the mammogram. It looked like an ink splatter with no defined shape. They said it was a tough lesion because it is so close to the muscle tissue. It could not be felt by the doctor on exam.
I had a breast exam twice last year by an OBGYN and a PA and neither of them felt anything. The doctor who did the ultrasound couldn't feel anything either.
Any information would be greatly appreciated. I know I have 7 days to hopefully find out something after the biopsy but any information would be great.
If this is cancer and it has gone into my bones...what are my chances?
Thank You, Chris

judyfams responded:
Chris,
So sorry to hear what you are going through right now. First of all please know that 80% of all biopsies done are benign, and hopefullyyou will be in that category.
Also it is realky difficult to tell what is precisely going on with dense breast tissue, so my guess is that they will be doing an ultrasound guided biopsey in the area where they saw the mass on the mammogram, and hope to obtain some tissue that has some of the cells from the mass.
If you have dense breasts the best diagnostic toolls are a breast MRI which is better than ultrasound, and a machine called a BSGI - breast specific gamma imaging. It is used for dense breasts as yu get an injection and sit in front of a special camera that takes pictures. If there is a malignancy present, the picture will have that area light up. So please ask about those 2 tests to be done.
if you live near a big city where they have a breast center - I would travel the distance to go there especially with your family history. You should be seen and monitored by people who are experts in dealing with women who have dense breasts.
As for the pain in your hip - should that turn out to be a metastasis of the breast cancer that is the easiest metastasis ti be treated. There are very successful treatments for breast cancer that has metastasized to the bones.
So please take it one step at a time. I would make some calls to find a breast center in the area where you live and make an appointment to see them. Ask the doctors you are dealing with now for copies of ALL your reports, scans and labs. You can then take them with you to the breast center. You can also request a CD of your mammogram that you can take with you too.
Please take control of your health, and ask questions of all of your doctors so you are knowledgeable about what is going on.
Pkease come back and let us know how you are doing and what you find out.
We are all praying for yoy.
Judy

goodlook121 responded:
(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Hello
My name is jessica i saw your profile today at (webmd.com)and became interested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send a mail to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am.Here is my email address(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com).I believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.jessica.(Remember the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life)
Please reply me with my email address

(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

chrisnes replied to goodlook121's response:
Hi, I would like to continue using this site to get posts.

Thank You Jessica.

TTFN, Chris

Helpful Tips

Alternative consumer self-test device for early detection of breast cancer?
This may be an interesting personalized alternative for early detection to then be verified through Breast MRI/Mammography: Eclipse, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center