Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Identical twins
jbailey1951 posted:
I just had my 6 month mammogram and they found calcium deposits, I am scheduled to have a needle biopsy done on 02-28-13. The radiologist said it looks pretty specious, my identical twin was diagnosis with stage 1B breast cancer, she currently taking chemo and radiation treatment. What are the chances that I will get breast cancer?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

vajanie responded:
Hi,

I just wanted to wish you well with your needle biopsy today. I am sorry to hear about your sister's diagnosis and wish her the best.

I don't know what your chances are of developing breast cancer, but you've taken the next logical step in getting your biopsy, and hopefully will get the answers you need from your doctor. As everyone says, it's the waiting for results that's the hardest. Please take care of yourself and let us know what is going on with you.

Janie

brcansur responded:
Hello,I wanted to say I am sending all my best wishes and prayers to you for comfort and support today during your test. I am also very sorry to hear about your sisters dx and am prayering and sending all my best to her al well. As for knowing about identical twin I am sorry I do not know much about that I have heard th questions asked at groups and not much is known about that from the sounds of it. There isn't much testing to prove either way so just stay postivie and doing what you are doing staying on top of things and getting what needs to be done done!!!
I will give you some good news I just had a freind of mine go through the same thing and all her test came back neg for cancer and she just has to keep up with her mammos to make sure nothing changes. Also remeber most lumps and odd things we find in our breast are 80% NOT CANCER so try and relax and not worry till you really need to or have reason to. Hey us ladies have enough to worry about right ! why give yourself more if you don't need to right?! I am right there beside you holding your hand if needed a rub on the shoulder what ever is needed a whisper in the ear it is going to be ok that is what friends are all about hang in there all will be ok. Just remember totake a nice calming breath in and out again in and out and then just relax let it all go see let the doctors do what they need to do and you just relax. We are here when you need us so just ask. Try and have a some what calm and relaxed day good luck and angel hugs Roberta,
Please let us know how you are doing and what you find out.
Roberta

jenna291 replied to brcansur's response:
Wishing you luck with your needle biopsy today. Please let us know the results and if we can help with any quesitons your sister may have.

take care -
Jenna

jbailey1951 replied to jenna291's response:
I just found out I do have breast cancer, I have an appointment tomorrow with my doctor to discuss my options. Thank you so much for being so concerned, I will let you know what kind of cancer I have and what stage it is in.

Jackie

jbailey1951 replied to vajanie's response:
I just found out I do have breast cancer, I have an appointment tomorrow with my doctor to discuss my options. Thank you so much for being so concerned, I will let you know what kind of cancer I have and what stage it is in.[br>[br>Jackie

jbailey1951 replied to brcansur's response:
I just found out I do have breast cancer, I have an appointment tomorrow with my doctor to discuss my options. Thank you so much for being so concerned, I will let you know what kind of cancer I have and what stage it is in.[br>[br>Jackie

Shell1007 replied to jbailey1951's response:
Jackie, so sorry you had to join "the club nobody wants to be a member of". All of us here have been in your shoes. I have a few hints for you & I am sure others will chime in too.
Take someone with you to Dr appt tomorrow. It helps to have another set of ears that might hear something that you don't..
I started a notebook (that had different sections & pockets) took lots of notes, leaving room for answers too. You can write down questions to ask & have somewhere to keep test results & any printed info they will give you. And remember....NO question is too stupid to ask !!
My best advice is to try and remember... 1 step at a time, take things as they come.
I am glad you found this site as you start your journey. The Ladies here are wonderful.
Sending good thoughts & prayers your way,
Shell

jbailey1951 replied to Shell1007's response:
Thank you, I will take someone with me tomorrow and I do have so many questions to ask. I will let you know how it went.

Thank you,
Jackie

brcansur replied to jbailey1951's response:
Jackie,
Hello, So sorry to have to welcome you to the group that no one really wants to be in but you have come to the right place we will be here and help the best we know how. With lots of respect, love and kindness and as many answers to your questions as we can answer for you. Please feel free to ask away the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. That goes for when you go to the doctors too !!!!
I will be there in spirit for all your appt"s like a little angel on your shoulder always whispering a positive thought or comforting word in your ear. I know right now your head is spinning and you don't know what is up or down but it does slow down it just takes some nice calming breaths and time. It is a great idea to take someone to all appt's and write everything down. Hey even take a recorder with you so you have it all to listen to later and make sure you have it all right and then you can get questions ready for your next appt. As you think of things to ask write them down in your note book and then you wont have so much to remember just to remember to bring it with you lol.lol. Yes I almost forgot my notebook lollol. But as you can see we all made it through and are here to help ladies just like you that are starting that journy plus each other that has been there and done that. I wont lie it isn't easy but it is very doable so go in with the attitude that you are going to make a plan and beat the crap out of cancer. You are going to beat cancers butt beat the beast and come out the winner just like the rest of us ladies. Because we are women and we don't back down we are strong, positive and hey just beacuse we are WOMEN lol.lol Please do come back often just to chat, vent and let us know how you are doing the light is on 24/7 we even lay out the choc Have a great day angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

vajanie replied to brcansur's response:
Jackie,
I don't what else to say but that I'm also so very sorry to hear your diagnosis. It definitely leaves your head spinning, I know and the ideas and suggestions you've received already are all so good, they helped me out so much. My own battle is still very recent, I'm recovering from chemo at present. The suggestions from Roberta, Jenna, many others helped me get through it all. The appointment notebook, writing out questions, having a second pair of ears at your appointment are all so important. Also helps you to feel like you have some control in the process. And ask every single question you have, no matter if it seems dumb or embarrassing. I believe I embarrassed my doctor a few times. Doesn't matter, ask away. I also would urge you to do some normal activities like going to a movie now and then or just watch a good one on tv. It was important to me because if I watched something good enough it was like a little mental vacation. I'd actually forget for awhile that I had cancer. I think periods of stress relief are good for our brains. The details involved in this fight can get pretty overwhelming. And definitely come here and ask questions or just throw yourself a big pity party if you feel the need one day. I've thrown myself some whoppers. Then you need to get up, dust yourself off and get back in the battle. Please let us know how you are. I'll be praying for you and your sister and always sending positive thoughts.

vajanie replied to vajanie's response:
Hi Jackie,

I know very well how intense this period after your diagnosis is, but if you have a moment would you let us know how you're getting along. We all care.

Best to you,
Janie

jbailey1951 replied to vajanie's response:
Sorry it took me so long to respond back, well I had my surgery to remove the ducts that had the cancer in them, just went back today to discuss the findings. I was originally told I had DCIS with no break through and was to be treated with radiation, today I went in for what I thought would be my first treatment and was told that the pathological report showed a small area that had some break through and now there is another surgery that they want to schedule to remove a few lymphoid to make sure the cancer has not spread anywhere else. I am just so down right now, I know I should be happy that they found it, but I am just so sick of having surgeries that I just want to go and hide. The last few months have been real hard for me, I went through three surgeries on my Kidney and is still under doctors care for it, but I know things will get better, I just wish it would hurry up.

Jackie

brcansur replied to jbailey1951's response:
Jackie,
Hello and welcome back it is so nice to hear from you again and have an up date on how you are doing. I am so sorry to hear that you are having to go through so much and that they are talking more surgery for you. I can only imagine how you felt when you went for that appt thinking you are getting started with treatment to find out you have more going on then you and the doctors all thought and more surgery is in the picture now. I now some what how you are feeling I too had some issues after my dx and bi mast I was to have my reconstruction at the same time but woke up with no breast. I was ok with that as long as they got the beast out of me ( cancer ) lol. Then I got the fack boobies loved them but they didn't love me once it got warm I found out I was going to have a bad reaction to them. So one year later had the reconstruction done then had issues with them one removed due to it not matching in size and falling into chest wall. then 4 years out the right one not the same one that was already removed had to be removed due to a staff infection still don't know for sure what caused it but doctors think a spider bite. But now have new ones in and been ok for past year no issues except they are not the same in looks they set different on my chest. But I like you am so done with surgery I don't know what to do about it . So I am putting up with them for now I love the way the right side looks so if they could get the left side to look the same way I would be in heaven.
But at the same time I am just so very happy that the cancer is gone and that is all that matters really so wear a top that doesn't show the differences and on with liveing Life isn't about my boobs it is about haveing fun and laughing each day.
So what I am saying is do what you have to do right now to make you happy healthy and liveing. Stay strong my friend you will be ok we are all here beside you and to hold your hand when ever you need it. I know it is easier said then done and some days just suck I have been then more times then I would like to count but I am here to say it was worth the fight so keep the fight in you remember you are women and women never give up lol. because we are the stronger ones lol I love saying that lol.lol. Ok enough for now have a better day if not a great day angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

vajanie replied to brcansur's response:
Hi Jackie,

I'm so glad to hear from you, and so glad you're back. I've been wondering about you but not surprised that you've been gone for awhile. I know how intense this period in the process is, and especially with the problems you've had. I'm so sorry that you need another surgery. I know that before my own diagnosis, I thought that breast cancer meant diagnosis,surgery, treatment, then you got a new breast, period. Now I know what a babe in the woods I was. You know I wish you the best, and will be thinking of you, positive thoughts.
Roberta, I was so glad to see you here. I haven't checked in for awhile, DH and I both having medical issues, and we practically live in doctors' waiting rooms. I hope you are well, and that Kaiden is a happy baby again.

Best to you,

Janie

Helpful Tips

Breast Cancer Survivor
I had breast cancer surgery on right side just below my breast 2.2 cm part since 2001. It also removed 21 nodes my armpit to protect cancer ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center