Skip to content
Rough couple months - anyone else experience this?
JLAMB26 posted:
I started chemo in January (2nd time around for me). Two days before my 3rd scheduled treatment I starting have severe ear pain. Went to the doctor and was told there was nothing wrong with me. Two days later, I was so sick (vertigo, nausau, severe ear pain) that I couldn't receive chemo. Was told to go home and rest - most likely labrynthitus. Two days later, I was in the ER, couldn't hold my head upright, such severe pain and vertigo I was fainting. I was sent home with an outer ear infection diagnosis. I continued to get worse over the next few days and was finally able to get in to see a ENT doc on day 10. I was diagnosed with Ramsay Hunt syndrome (a form or Shingles). I have severe nerve damage from the virus and have lost 100% of the hearing in the left ear. Nine weeks later still have very severe vertigo and loud tinnitus. The ENT doctor give me very little hope of regaining hearing in the ear. I can't drive, work and have a hard time taking care of my two kids (2 & 6 years old). They tell me to be patient and that I should see relief in 3-6 months. The original plan for me was chemo, surgery then radiation. I had to stop chemo because I am not well enough. I just had surgery last week and meet with the radiation oncologist next week to talk about doing that before finishing chemo. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I would take the side effects of chemo any day over what I'm going through. Does anyone know if receiving chemo made me more suseptable to the Ramsay Hunt virus. My oncologist told me he had never encountered it before and doesn't quite know how to proceed. Not very reassurring! I appreciate your feedback!

kiwiallright responded:
Hi,

I am so sorry to hear about this. I did not have what you had but after my third treatment of Taxol, I could hardly walk - it took me close to a year when getting out from a chair to get up and walk, without telling my brain to put one leg in front of the other. I mean once I got going I was fine. I sure hope that things get better for you. Sorry probably not very reassuring on my part.

brcansur responded:
Hello,
I am so sorry you are going through all of this along with the second dx of breast cancer and with 2 little ones to care for. I know it isn't easy to deal with a dx let alone all this other stuff that comes with it I am sending loads of good vibes your way and good luck wishes and anything else I can send to help cheere you up and send good things your way. Now to answer your question I went through chemo in 2008 and have had ringing in the ears ever since and balance issues speak issues were words come out wrong and the opposite of what I mean. I has ascan done and those parts of my brain do show they are affected due to chemo. Because the scan before chemo was normal and after shows spots in those areas. I works with therapy for the balance and do a lot of puzzles for the word thing and speach just work on it everyday and hope it comes out right if not joke and say something funny then try and get out what I meant to say. The ringing in the ears is tinnitus and gets bad some days but my hearing is still pretty good. I get the dizzy spells off and on and sick to my stomach feeling almost everyday can't eat much because of it but have learned to live with it. Chemo does a lot of different thing to you and some never get any side effects from it every one is different so we just hope it works and we don't get any side effects. I wish you luck with all you are going through and that the figure something out for you soon and this all goes away and your hearing comes back. Just to give you some hope I had surgery that left me with no hearing in either ear and within 3 months my hearing did start coming back and in 5 months was totally back. So stay postive and strong and keep hopeing and wishing for the best never give up. Please come back to let us know how you make out and how you are doing from time to time because we care. Take care and good luck angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

goodlook121 responded:
(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Hello
My name is jessica i saw your profile today at (webmd.com)and became interested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send a mail to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am.Here is my email address(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com).I believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.jessica.(Remember the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life)
Please reply me with my email address

(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Helpful Tips

Alternative consumer self-test device for early detection of breast cancer?
This may be an interesting personalized alternative for early detection to then be verified through Breast MRI/Mammography: Eclipse, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center