Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
21 year old facing removal of 3 cm fibroadenoma
Valley21 posted:
Hello! I am 21 years old and after finding two lumps and coming back for a six month follow-up, I am now facing a bilateral lumpectomy to remove two 3cm fibroadenomas. While I feel silly being as terrified as I am, I'm young, have never had such problems before, and have absolutely no idea what to expect. My biggest fear is that the excision of the two lumps leaves me visibly deformed - crooked, different sizes, badly dented, or otherwise unnatural looking. While this is a cosmetic fear, the process of finding and living with them has been traumatic enough that I don't want to be left with features that leave me feeling deformed at such a young age. My question to you is this - has anyone ever had or known of a 3 cm removal, and do you know the risk of this causing significant damage? Also, what is the risk of being left with permanent numbness? I have large C/ small D breasts, with one lump located centrally very near my sternum, and another just to the right of my areola. Thanks a bunch.

judyfams responded:
I am so sorry that you have to go thriugh this at such a young age.
While having two 3 cm lumps removed will take quite a bit of tissue from the breast - if you opt for a lumpectomy you can then find a plastic surgeon who can lipo fat from other areas of your body to re-model the breast so it looks "normal". If you live near a large city you can find a plastic surgeon who does that type of surgery. Suzanne Somers had that done to correct the breast that had a lumpectomy. I saw her on "The Doctors" show - you might want to see if you can find that segment.
If you undergo a mastectomy then you will definitely lose sensation to the breast(s) because nerves are cut to perform the mastectomy.
There are many different types of reconstruction and the DIEPP is the one that uses your own tissues to build a new breast(s) - but you must be a candidate, and it is long surgery.
If I were you before I consented to surgery I would definitely
consult with a plastic surgeon who specializes in breast reconstruction to know all your options lumpectomy & reconstruction or mastectomy & reconstruction and then decide what YOU want. You should decide what you want for your appearance and quality of life before you have any surgery.
Please let us know what you decide.
Good luck,
Judy

brcansur responded:
Hello I am so sorry that you are going through this at such an young age. I wanted to let you know I have been there at age 22 I had my first lumpectomy done I was a size D and I was just married with a baby. I had the same worries as you am I going to look different and is my new husband going to still love me with this lump gone out of my breast. But then I was like I have to have something done or I wont be here for my son. I had it done I did have feeling in that area after it felt a little different for a while but not for to long. Mine wasn't in the same area and I only had one removed at that time. Then 3 years later another one same breast a little over to side of my breast. Mine were a little smaller then yours and dented in some but not in the same area so I just wore a padded bar and it covered it for me when out. But with in a year breast tissue filled it back in or should I say fat cell lol. No I wasn't fat but that is what makes up a lot of the breast tissue. Like Judy said I would check all your options for surgeries first before haveing anything done. From what I understand your lumps are pretty much in the same area so yours is going to be more noticeable then mine was. Please do not let any one make you feel rushed into anything. Look at all options first and ask alot of questions before you decide what you want to do. Then and only then decide what is right for you and please decide on what you want and not what someone else feels is right for you. Because only you can know what you will be able to live with for the reast of your life. You will now what is right you will feel it in your gut and heart. I wish you all the best angel hugs Roberta, From someone that has been there and nows how you feel please know I care and we all do take care.
Roberta

Valley21 replied to brcansur's response:
Thanks so much for the answers guys! Thankfully, mastectomy is NOT something I have to worry about - thankfully these are both benign, but very annoying tumors. Although I realized I made it sort of unclear before, I actually have one on each breast, so thankfully I shouldn't lose too much tissue out of one and not the other. I have heard of fat grafting to reconstruct, but like you Roberta I am hoping to be left only with a little denting that will return eventually to my normal size and shape. I too am already in a very long term relationship and hope to get married within a few years, so I very much want to keep my young body that i love looking like my young body that i love and not feeling deformed! I don't mind being left with marks or scar so much - those I think I can wear like badges of honor. The crookedness/ lopsideness/ weirdness however I can live without....Hopefully when I finally get to have my surgery consultation we can discuss something - hoping for no reconstruction necessary but I have heard of girls my age having reconstruction done within the same surgery, such as partial implants - anyone heard of a 3 cm lump being "replaced" that way?

brcansur replied to Valley21's response:
Valley21,
Hello, I can't say that I have heard of the small partial implant you are talking about or any one having them. But I would say ask away at your appt because the only stupid questions are the ones not asked. Oh I asked a lot of questions and still do 5 years later lol.lol drive my breast care doctor crazy sometimes he just looks at me and ask's me have you been on line again and then laughs. He tells me to stay off the computor stop looking things up. I tell him I don't look things up any more it is just stuff I am thinking about or hear about when talking to other women lol. so I have to know !!! He is a great doctor and we joke and pull pranks on each other all the time. That is how close we have become and how much we trust each other. I even made him a boob cake for his Birthday he loved it and called me saying he had a nipple in his mouth later that day laughing. So never feel like you can't ask your doctor a question you never know he may turn out to be like my great fun doctor. I even went to one appt with lights in my bra before I had my reconstruction done. Yup I am crazy like that he laughed and said I was nuts and to lay down and went on with the exam. So just be yourself and get all your questions together before your appt and ask away. Hope this has helped and also eased your nerves some. See you can even have fun with boob surgery Have a great day angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

Valley21 replied to brcansur's response:
Roberta, best reply ever! Now that I've had a whole to process the shock, it's just waiting on my consultation and I've chilled out - I too have a massive googling problem and I've had to stop and realize most of the bizarre terrifying things i see are very unlikely to happen to me....so for now I'm remaining lighthearted thank you!

brcansur replied to Valley21's response:
Valley21,
I am so happy I could help and lighten your day for a few mins hey if I can make someone smile for just a min then I am happy too ! I had to stop looking things up because it was making me go crazy and really making me sick upset stomachs all the time and really bad headaches so no more searching the web for me I just live each day as it comes. Much more fun this way also don't worry about things till you have to then I really don't worry then either just do what I have to do to get better and get on with living. Because we can't really change it if we don't look forward now can we. Plus if we are always looking things up then we aren't living we are sitting. So go out and have fun get the questions ready that should only take a few min each time something comes up write it down and then move on. Make sure to bring that list to your appt and ask away and then take your time decided what is going to be the best for you before doing any surgery. Keep my last reply in mind always have fun don't forget that and don't feel you can't ask questions because you can. Have a great day angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

goodlook121 responded:
(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Hello
My name is jessica i saw your profile today at (webmd.com)and became interested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send a mail to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am.Here is my email address(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com).I believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.jessica.(Remember the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life)
Please reply me with my email address

(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Helpful Tips

What Is The Pink Bus???
One of our great resources is our famous PINK BUS! Some of you are familiar with her. Others may need a little introduction so I went back ... More
Was this Helpful?
59 of 74 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center