Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Chemo and Ramsay Hunt Syndrome
JLAMB26 posted:
I posted a few weeks ago that I was diagnosed with Ramsay Hunt (a form of shingles) that caused significant nerve damage to my ear and facial region. I lost all hearing in one ear and have Bells Palsy and severe vertigo and tinnitus. I'm recovering VERY slowly. This diagnosis came between rounds 2 and 3 of chemo. It was just decided yesterday (after two tumor board meetings at my hospital) that I will not be able to complete my chemo treatments since it would further damage my affected nerves and do a lot of harm. My Ocologist said that by the time I am well enough to receive chemo it will be ineffective. I will start radiation treatments and herceptin next week. Since this is my 2nd go 'round with breast cancer, I'm terrified that radiation alone will not be enough to keep it from returning. I had a very agressive cancer - 9 out of 9 on the Nottingam scale. Fortunately, no node involvement this time. My tumor was between 2-3 cm, E&P negative-Her2 Positive. My Oncologist said that this would not be his choice of a treatment plan but his hands are tied. I'm youngish with two small children and want to do everything in my power to keep this cancer at bay. Anyone ever had to stop treatments because of other health issues? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
Jennifer

cindy12345678 responded:
Jennifer,
I never had to stop chemo, but I was dx with 2 different
kinds of cancer at the same time. I did chemo before
surg. I was st3 on one and they werent really sure I wasn't
st4.Why put me through the rough surg if I was st 4.
But I wasn't and I had the bi-mast.And I have 2 yrs now.
I know this is your second round. One of my cancers was
her-2. So I had 12 weekly of herceptin and taxol, then
a 2wk break then A/C for x4 at 10 day intervals.
Herceptin can also cause some nerve damage. But the
drug can really work . It can keep certain cancers in
remission a long time. I would go with treatment for now,
And when you improve with the shingles , re-evaluate
the situation.I would never give up. The weird thing is
about a year before dx I had a a very mild case of
shingles and it was on my face. It looked like small chicken
pox and I never got the rash but it headed for my eye.
They gave me valtrex and it stopped it. I also had annother
year of herceptin at every 3 weeks. I have some nerve
damage in my legs and feet. But not enough to bother my
daily life. So just keep on keepin on! Let me know how
things are going.
Hugs and strength,
Cindy

brcansur responded:
Jennifer,
Hello again I am so sorry to hear all that you are having to go through. But keep up the great job of staying strong and moving forward that is all we can do and we get through it some how some way because we women are stronger then we make on lol.
Now about the stopping chemo I never had to but I do still talk to a women I met on here and she had to stop due to issue from the chemo and then she started back up I want to say about 6 to 7 months later. She is doing really good been about 2 years now since then. So please don't give up just keep trying everything you can and keep your chin up. I know it is very hard sometimes and some days don't look so good but you can do it. We are always here for you when ever you need to chat,vent or cry or even just need a good laugh we do that too
I have had some issues my self and may surgeries because of them since my dx and reconstruction. But I just kept my chin up and got through them and now I am doing A OK ! and I just past 5 years on March 31 so it does get better just takes some time sometimes lol. and it was a little up hill battles but then it became a smooth road after that. Or should I say a better ride not so many bumps now that is a better way to put it lol. I wish you all the best and please do come back to let us know how you are doing and what happyens with your treatments. Take care and stay strong angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

goodlook121 responded:
(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Hello
My name is jessica i saw your profile today at (webmd.com)and became interested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send a mail to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am.Here is my email address(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com).I believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.jessica.(Remember the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life)
Please reply me with my email address

(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Helpful Tips

Breast Cancer Survivor
I had breast cancer surgery on right side just below my breast 2.2 cm part since 2001. It also removed 21 nodes my armpit to protect cancer ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center