Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is my sister at high risk?
An_251411 posted:
Just the other day my sister (age 27 going on 28) discovered a lump in her breast. She has been a mess ever since and so has my mother and I. My sister had a mammogram yesterday and today it supposedly came back negative (my sister got a message from the hospital saying that it appears to be negative but they want to see her). She ended up making an appointment for Friday but waiting to hear about something like this is nerve wracking. The thing is, is my mother battled and survived breast cancer just about 8 years ago. My mothers cousin had breast cancer and my mothers aunt had breast cancer too. Is there a chance that a mammogram could be wrong? Should she get a second opinion or will this follow up doctors appointment be good enough? I am nervous since it runs in our family that it really could be BC..... Thanks!

vajanie responded:
Hi and welcome, sorry I didn't see your post sooner. I'm sorry that your sister and your family are having this experience. I'm sure it's dreadfully worrying, and I believe that today is the day for her appointment. Will you or your mom be going with her? If she is not entirely comfortable with what she hears from the doctor today, a second opinion is definitely a good option, from my own experience.

I hope you will come back and let us know what happens with the appointment. There are many women on this board with a world of experience on the topic of breast cancer. I still feel like the new kid on the block, having just completed my treatment, and don't feel qualified to give you medical advice but please know that I care and am wishing the best for your sister and your family.

Janie

jenna291 replied to vajanie's response:
Hi, I am sorry that your sister has to go thru this scare at such a young age. I will be interested to see what the doctor had to say at today's visit. I will hope all is well.

I am curious if you know the type of machine she had her mammogram with - was it 3D technology? That is much more accurate.

thinking of you all - I am a 5 1/2 year survivor and have a daughter 27 years old and will always worry.

Please keep us posted ~
Jenna

goodlook121 responded:
(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Hello
My name is jessica i saw your profile today at (webmd.com)and became interested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send a mail to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am.Here is my email address(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com).I believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.jessica.(Remember the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life)
Please reply me with my email address

(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Helpful Tips

Radiation Burns
I had terrible burns over 2/3rds of my breast after 7 weeks of radiation & I was miserable. Here is what I did. The doctor told me to ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 18 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center