Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
breast pain 8 and a half years after breast cancer
supergrangran posted:
I have had breast pain going into my arm pit and down my left arm for about 2 months and it is not settling, My annual check up is in May. I would like to know if anyone else has experience of this.

Christine
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jenna291 responded:
I know I get residual pains from radiation treatment and I am 5 years out. Also, in the area under my armpit sometimes my arm is heavy, tired and sore, a bit painful at the site.
I would call my doctor and see if you can move that appointment up. Anything unusual is certainly worth checking into.
Please keep us posted.

best to you -
Jenna

brcansur responded:
christine,
Hello and welcome, I would like to start by saying I am also 5 years out and had bi mast and reconstruction i year later. I too get pain in my chest and on the sides of my breast I am told this is very common and is due to nerve issues from mast. I also get told it could be from the implants and the way the muscles are moved to place the implants in the chest wall. Either way it can be very uncomfortable at times.
But I agree with Jenna you should move that appt up if you can and get it checked out to make sure it isn't anything else going on. Not saying cancer but you could have an infection or something like that going on in there. I have also had that happen and it started as pain then turned to a warm red breast.Either way please get it checked out better safe then sorry. If they tell you it is just nerves in the breast from surgery that would be great news or your muscles acting up. I will be sending all good wishes and loads of angel hugs your way. Try and have a good day and know we are here for you please come back and let us know how you are doing and what you find out Roberta,
Roberta

supergrangran replied to brcansur's response:
Thank you so much for your kind comments I phoned the hospital today and the breast care nurse said she would try and get me an appointment as soon as possible.

I will keep you posted, My left breast feels like it is on fire and the pain is in my arm pit and right down my left arm to my fingers, My whole ar feels very heavy and tingly, heres hoping the appointment comes through soon. I also now have dystonia a movement disorder so it will make my next mamagram an interesting experience.

Love and hugs to all

Christine XXX

supergrangran replied to supergrangran's response:
A wee update i have an appointment to see the Consultant next Wednesday at 2.30 so I am quite happy. I have had discomfort since the surgery and radiotherapy 8 and a half years ago, but this pain is quite some thing else and my feeling is that the breast is actually swollen. My cleavage is moving to the right and that happened before with the painful breast becoming enlarged. It turned out to be a tumour inside a mammary gland so I am doing my best to not dwell on what happened in the past and hope it is something less sinister..having said that I am dreading the idea of a mammogram with this level of pain and the stress of this wont help the dystonia when it flares up it is quite something and does affect the chest wall.

Anyway the support is very much appreciated and I am so grateful for the hugs so I am sending them right back with love and blessings.

Christine XXX

brcansur replied to supergrangran's response:
Christine,
I am so happy that you got in sooner that is great news. I am sending all good wishes your way and loads of angel hugs to go with them. Now lets just hope pray and wish that all it is, is an infection or something that can be treated easly with some pills and be gone in a few days. It sounds like what happened to me a few years ago I woke up with a red swollen breast and it just got bigger and hotter and redder as the days went on. It turned out to be a infection and was treated and now I am fine. Oh it was painful too the bigger and redder it got the more it hurt. I feel for you and could only imagine what you are going through right now. But be calm and try not to worry till you have to. Why give your self more worry then need be. God knows we worry enough already we don't need more. I know easier said then done I have been there but try. Do something that brings you joy and keep your mind busy and off this as much as you can it helps. I like to quilt and sew also cook and bake so that is what I do to stay busy. Oh plus spend time with Kaiden being silly and laughing that always works to keep my mind busy and off everything else lol. lol. How could I look into that face and think of anything else lol. Oh Kaiden is the little man on my profile he is 15 months old and the one that keeps me going .. So find something that does the same for you and just keep smileing and keep going. Stay strong and keep your chin up you will be just fine we are all here for you any time 24/7 as they say we will keep the lights on for you just come right in. I will even leave a choc out for any time you need it lol. Have a great day angel hugs Roberta, Good luck on Wed I will be there right beside you just close your eyes and imagine arms around you oh and those angel wings giving you a hug.
Roberta

thank you so much I am struggling just now I have dystonia....a movement disorder as well and I have come home from work to a phone call asking me to come into the hospital in 4 days time for a chat with the Consultant....I had given up on Neurology Doctors I have not had a good experience and I have been carted off in an ambulance to hospital 5 or 6 times now ( within last 2months) with breathing problems during a dystonic storm....hospital staff are amazing I get an IV dose of procyclydine and within minutes I am ready for a taxi home.

I now find myself with an emergency appointment initiated by my GP in 4 days time for the Neurology clinic and the breast clinic in 5 days time.. I have no faith in the dystonia Doctor he is trying to talk me into botox treatment which can actually cause death and was not too impressed when I turned the offer down.

OMG am I rambling or what!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also was examined by my GP who can see no sign of lymphodema and no sign of infection so she gave me stronger painkillers and wished me luck for wednesday at the breast clinic.

Thank you... thank you... thank you for the love and support that this site provides at the moment you are my sanity

Love and hugs and thank you for the prayers

Christine XXXXX

Christine,
Hello hope this finds you doing better and with some answers from that doctor appt. I can only imagine how all of this must be making you feel with everything that is going on with you and your health. I also have other health issues besides the dx of breast cancer and it does make things worse at times. I have fibro and a really bad back that I am trying not to have to get surgery on if I can help it. But the pain is getting worse and the disk and nerve damage is worse so I know what you are talking about when it comes to doctors telling you have this done and that done and the side effects are not the best. I have had to say no to a lot of things also because I don't agree with the side effects. I would rather be able to walk and stand in pain then end up in a chair and not walk and still be in pain so no I have not had a lot of the treatments they have wanted me to have done. So I can feel your pain and understand what you are going through I was also told for a long time it was all in my head till I found a doctor that finally did test and found that I have 6 herniated disk and a sliped vertabra in my back. Due to a car accident.
I wish you all the luck in the world for both appts and hope all they find is something that is treatable with a few pills and it is gone for good. Keep your chin up and stay strong you will get through this just like everything else. You are one strong women look at everything else you have gotten through ! Sending loads of angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

That choc was well needed today thank you!!! and the angels wings were absolutely there........

I was at the neurology clinic today getting the dystonia check up and they took some blood tests......will check it for genetic problems but also and quite intriguing they took a blood test to see if there is a connection to the breast cancer. I am not quite sure what they meant like are they talking about it being cancer or are they talking about it being related to the side effects of the cancer treatment. ...........

I would like to know if anyone else has had this experience of cancer giving you a neurological condition that you now have to live with.

Thank you so much for the support I am feeling so much better knowing that I am not alone and it is good to keep your eye on the light when things start to look a bit dark

Christine XXX

supergrangran replied to supergrangran's response:
Wee update!! I have just returned from the hospital I got a cancellation appointment and took it so the deed is done....mammogram and ultra sound.

The outcome was that some thing has shown up behind the original scar material and the Radiographer said it is not a definitive tumour but could not say without a biopsy if it is the cancer returned or if it is something else and I need to go to a pain clinic.

So I feel that I am no further forward and I also feel that it was and is almost a roll of the dice in his attitude and can cancer really be something dealt with on the roll of a dice....in short this has really unsettled me.

My clinic appointment is 29th May so feels like a long wait.

I think this is a bit scary but only because of the Radiographers attitude...first time around it was bump bump bump and the job was done and dusted...I felt guided and at times dragged along the road to recovery but at all times I never got the could be could be not attitude form an NHS member of staff.

OH THIS IS A NIGHTMARE SOME ONE WAKE ME UP AND TELL ME ITS TIME TO GO TO WORK PLEASE!!!!!

Christine XX

Christine,
Hello so sorry to hear that things are not really much better for you even though you did get into the doctor sooner. I am also very sorry I have not been on for a few days and didn't get back to you sooner.
I had a very bad time with my back I had fallen a week back then things just went down hill from there with my back issues. I had an injection done into my spine and the pelvis joint on tues. The doctor had a very hard time getting the needle to go into the right spot so still very sore from that. Hopeing that it works this time around I have had different ones done and they did not help. If this one doesn't I am not going through that kind of pain again no more. I am trying to find something that will help me so that I can at least go for walks again maybe no more hiking due to pain is way to much for me now. So that is what is going on for me and why I am not on line much right now trying to get my back pain under control.
I want to let you know I am now also going through testing for nerve damage but they have not said that it is due to the breast cancer or treatment at least not yet. I have the test the end of this month in my legs and arms. I will let you know what I find out and if they say anything about it being due to anything with the cancer. I know a lot of my health issues are due to the chemo and the ones I had before are worse due to chemo like the fibro and my bone disorder.
I am wishing you all the best and please remember that no matter how those peope act that it doesn't mean there is something wrong it could be they are haveing a bad day. And then why worry just do what we need to, to make it better right! So keep your chin up and keep doing what you need to till you get the answers and then make a plan to do what needs to be done to get your self better. I am sending more angel hugs take care and breath it will work out in the ned
Have a good day angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

jenna291 replied to brcansur's response:
Hi Christine, I am so sorry that things aren't improving fast enough here. It does seem like a long wait to go until the end of the month. I know its frustrating and I feel bad!!
Unfortunately, some chemo does affect the nervous system. I had something called taxol and I do have some occasional pain in my legs, feet, toes, arms and fingers. I take Arimidex and I know that causes some bone pain, so until I am done with that in 2 more years, I really won't know my long term affects.
Roberta, sorry you too are going thru this bone disorder. Boy, all that we go thru, and these side effects are the pits. But.... we are here, it just never ends!!!!
blessings to you girls and good luck with the appointments -
Jenna

supergrangran replied to jenna291's response:
I am feeling a bit calmer now I have ranted about how inappropriate that Doctor was as he at the end of the day does not make the decisions it is done at a team meeting therefore he should have kept his thoughts for the team meeting.

Also I have gotten over the shock of the fact they even wanted to check a different area of the breast to the one that i was complaining about and now.....I am were I always am when I have a bad day.........for today I do not have cancer but I do have a life which may well be more challenging these days with the dystonia but a life I do have and for that I am grateful especially every time I look at my angel of a grand daughter she makes me so happy with her little ways (3 yrs old) she visited yesterday and i was mesmerised by her as was able to peddle my exercise bike and played on it for ages. She can not even reach the peddles sitting down so she peddles standing up at the age of 3!!!

Any way I will keep you posted and I am so sorry to hear about the bone problems those injections sound awful...dystonia as bad as it gets at least comes and goes but the best bit is when you go to the clinic and there are more dystonia patients we all sit in a row of seats waiting to be called men and women and we each have our own mode of twitching and twisting and grunting with the pain. Then in the middle of all this some one will pass a comment like are you one of us! and then you cant help but laugh I have never met a more social-able group of people in my life other than us of course!!!

love and hugs I will keep you in my prayers

Christine XXX

Christine,
hello and goodmorning, I am glad you are feeling better hey venting helps us all and that is part of what we do here and listen, cry and even laugh. It is nice that you have others with the same health issues to talk to when you are waiting for your appts that can help get others ideas and input on things. Plus just knowing there are others like you helps also. Just remember ther is always someone out ther that is dealing with the same things as you if not worse and all you have to do is stay positive. Keep that chin up and keep going to get answers and make your self better. That is all any of us can do I look as it this way. I am here on this earth so I live each day as it comes and enjoy life for what it brings me. I can make that day a good day or a bad day. So I make everyday a good day I get up with a smile on my face and look out the window at what is all around me and smile even more. Then I get that sweet little boy out of bed and his smile makes me light up even more that is all worth living for Oh children are what makes life worth living I think they can make me smile any time. So if for any reason I feel a little sad or in pain I just look at him or play with him and it seams to work it gets my mind off what ever was bothering me. So we are a lot a like there our little ones bring us joy and happyness. So when this gets you down or you feel like it is just to much just think of that little one and riding your bike lol.lol. that sounds so cute I am sure that will get your mind off everything for a while and bring a smile to your face
Well I need to get going plus have gone on enough for now have a great weekend angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

goodlook121 responded:
(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Hello
My name is jessica i saw your profile today at (webmd.com)and became interested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send a mail to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am.Here is my email address(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com).I believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.jessica.(Remember the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life)
Please reply me with my email address

(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Helpful Tips

Radiation Burns
I had terrible burns over 2/3rds of my breast after 7 weeks of radiation & I was miserable. Here is what I did. The doctor told me to ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center