Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
new diagnosis
TXinSC posted:
So I was diagnosed last week with stage 1 breast cancer. It is hormone receptor negative, but HER2 positive. I have surgery scheduled for May 10th for a double mastectomy. That was my decision before finding out I am HER2 positive, and am even more confident with that decision now. The cancer is very small, but it is not known if it is in the lymph system yet. The doctor will take the nodes during surgery and that will determine further treatment. I wanted to get feedback from some of you who have been through this and what I can expect. I am in great health so I am hoping that will help. Any feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

judyfams responded:
Sorry that you have been diagnosed with this disease, but you seem to have a wonderful, positive attitude which will go a long way in helping you cope with treatment.
I hope you know that with HER2 pos. you will have to have a form of chemo for that and if there is node involvement after surgery you may need additional chemo which can be done at the same time. So right now they just don't know what kinds of chemo you will have to have. That will be determined after surgery.
The important thing to remember about chemo is to drink lots of water and other liquids, eat many small meals every 2 hrs. and make sure they include some type of lean protein like chicken, turkey, fish, peanut butter, greek yogurt etc. No fast, fried or processed foods. Soups are good too. And lots of veggies and fruits - especially watermelon which also has plenty of water.
Listen to your body and do not try to be a hero - rest and/or sleep when tired or fatigued. Let family and friends help you during chemo so you can give your body time to heal. Don't push yourself!
Chemo is not fun, but it is doable - and remember that your oncologist is there to help you. So if you fell nauseated, or have diarrhea or are constipated tell him and he will help you get through those side effects. Again - do not be a hero!
Good luck and let us know how you are doing.
Much good luck,
Judy

brcansur responded:
Hello,
I agree with Judy on everything the drinking eating and resting but would like to add to this. I too had a bi mast in 2008 I just want to let you know ahead of time this is going to be a time that you will need help at home. There is going to be some pain and pressure in the area. The drains are what cause most of that discomfort there maybe some burning that is what I felt more then anything from the drains. I found that if I slept in a somewhat upright position it felt best till the drains were out. Sitting reclined just a little felt best also took the presure off my chest. You will just have to find what works best for you and go with that till you get the drains out then it is like 100% better. After that take it easy give your body time to heal do things a little at a time to work back up to what you did before. Like Judy said listen to your body if you feel tired nap, if something just feels like it is to much to be doing then don't do it. Just take it slow and you will get back to you when the time is right for your body and it's healing time. I wish you all the best sending loads of angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

jenna291 replied to brcansur's response:
Hi, I did not have a mastectomy, I had a lumpectomy, but had chemo, then surgery. I would just like to comment on the diet, because as these wonderful ladies have said, during chemo it is super important to stay hydrated and eat whatever protein a vitamin enriched foods you can. Watermelon was my best friend, and it was easily tolerated, as was chicken soup, raisin toast, "boost".
I wish you all the best and having a positive attitude is truly a big help.
best to you~
Jenna

goodlook121 responded:
(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Hello
My name is jessica i saw your profile today at (webmd.com)and became interested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send a mail to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am.Here is my email address(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com).I believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.jessica.(Remember the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life)
Please reply me with my email address

(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Helpful Tips

Radiation Burns
I had terrible burns over 2/3rds of my breast after 7 weeks of radiation & I was miserable. Here is what I did. The doctor told me to ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center