Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Recently Diagnosed w/ IDC
eternitytrb posted:
Hello All,

I am 38 yrs old and have recently been diagnosed with IDC, last year June my GYN sent me for a mammo, which then turned to having a biopsy in my left breast, good news was it was fibroadenoma.
2 months ago under persistence by my mother to continue to do self examinations I found a lump in my right breast. After an MRI & ultrasound another biopsy was done, and 4 days later the news came back I had cancer.
All I remember is hearing the word cancer and anything said to me after that was a blur. Almost 3 weeks ago I had a genetic screening test done, and last week an MRI ( which showed the other breast was okay). I'm scheduled for the 22nd of this month to have a lumpectomy and lymph node removal. But lately I've been wondering if just having a mastectomy would be a better choice. I have so many thoughts and confusion going on in my head and my doctor and medical team keep urging me to deal with all that is going on. So here I am reaching out, because I don't know how to deal or maybe express myself.
I've never done a discussion so I apologize if I'm not saying the correct things or if I'm all over the place. I'm just trying to figure out where to start. Thanks for listening.

vajanie responded:
Hello, and welcome, and sorry too that you have reason to be here. I'm so sorry about your diagnosis but want you to know that there is no correct thing to say and I'd be amazed if you weren't all over the place at this stage. This is the most difficult time that many of us will ever experience in our lives. You can come here for information, a wealth of it under the "Tips" section and also by searching the Community. You can also come to ask specific questions or just throw yourself a big "pity party". I remember that when I got my diagnosis I felt like I'd been run over by a train, and I came and vented plenty. The good thing here is that everyone knows how you feel. Different situations of course, but almost everyone has had a diagnosis of breast cancer, women of all ages.

I was also diagnosed with IDC but my situation was different, I had no choice but mastectomy. I've never looked back and questioned that, there's no doubt it saved my life at the time. I know how you feel too, that you just want the cancer out. I unfortunately don't much about a lumpectomy, and ultimately the choice is up to you but I wonder if your medical team's thinking is that the stage, size and location of your tumor warrants the lumpectomy. If you have someone on your team that you feel really comfortable and unrushed with, I'd have a long talk about these things. My oncologist, a wonderful doctor with many patients, was always rushed, but his PA was great about talking with me and answering all questions and concerns. If you have someone like this it can be a tremendous help. Also the cancer center I go to has free counseling for their patients. I take full advantage of this and it's been amazingly helpful. Please take advantage on this board of some of the advice in the past about how to go prepared to appointments, talking with your doctors, a little of everything. Figuring out where to start is difficult, but you'll do your research on reliable sites, be good to yourself, take the support offered by family and friends, and get through this. It sounds like you have a wonderful mom, and bless her for being persistent about your self exams. It seems you already have someone who will be by your side for this journey.

Again, I'm so sorry that you have to be here, but please come back and let us know how you're doing.

Janie

I also was

jenna291 replied to vajanie's response:
Hello, I also had IDC and my team of doctors recommended chemo first to reduce a stage II tumor, then a lumpectomy followed by 33 radiation treatments.
The decision to have a lumpectomy or mastectomy, if you have a choice, is a really personal one. I was fortunate that the chemo shrunk the tumor enough to have a lumpectomy, but had it been less successful or in a different area, I may not have had a choice.
There was a wonderful councilor at the hospital I go to, and my doctors were easy to talk to, especially the oncologist and surgery who performed the lumpectomy. I would ask lots of questions, take notes, and if someone could go with you that would help. It is a lot to absorb, for sure.
Wish you the best in your decisions, and hope you come back with an update.

hugs,
Jenna

eternitytrb responded:
thank you all for the kind words, it gives a sense of hope when being able to speak with others that understand. I actually went back for my results today from my genetic testing, and my results show I am positive for BRCA2 and a triple negative, so in turn got a call from my doctor a few hours later. She then stated a bilateral mastectomy was my better option due to the % of it returning. So I now need to decide, at this point I'm leaning to whats going to give me a better opportunity of no recurrence and have reconstructive surgery the same day.
So radiation will no longer be the treatment, instead chemo.

vajanie replied to eternitytrb's response:
I was just sitting here wishing I could give you a big hug. This seems pretty typical in situations like ours, that the first diagnosis and treatment plan changes. I was sitting with the radiation oncologist and she was telling me my treatment plan when she got a call from my surgeon telling her that my tests had come back triple negative with a 93% chance of recurrence. I was then changed to surgery and chemo. You're so young and this is a huge decision but I'm sure you'll ultimately make the one that gives you peace and the best chance of a long and healthy life.

I would not presume to give you advice as I'm still kind of new at this, medical advice I mean, but there are many of us here who can offer lots of ideas on the after effects of surgery, chemo, etc. You'll also find a lot in the "Tips" column on the home page. As bad as the diagnosis of breast cancer is, I think a final diagnosis kind of galvanizes our thinking and determination to "put on our big girl pants" as one of the ladies here told me, and get doing what has to be done. I'm so glad you have your mother to talk with, My only advice at the moment is to turn and run as fast as you can from anyone who has anything negative to say. I imagine at this point you feel like you've been hit by a train and then had an elephant sit on your chest but you'll get through this with the help of excellent medical care and those who love you.
Please let us know how you are, and be sure to take care of you.

Janie

brcansur responded:
Hello and welcome, I know this is the last place you really want to be but it is a good place to get info from women that are or have gone through what you are going through right now.
I am triple neg had a lumpectomy when I was 20 came back with pre cancer cells a few years later same thing so when dx in 2008 I decided to have bi mast no if ands or buts about it. They were off no matter what I wanted them gone and the cancer out of me as soon as they could get me in for the surgery. This was even before they told me what kind what grade what stage what ever !! The doctor was shocked he didn't have to try telling me I needed the right breast removed due to being stage 3 and 2 different tumors and kinds of cancer. I am so very happy I did what I did due to this dx and my history.
Now all of that said this is something that you and only you can decide because you are the one that is going to deal with it for the rest of your life and all that comes with what you decide on. Make sure to talk to your doctor about all of your choices and treatments everything ask questions there is never a stupid question the only stupid question is the one not asked. Best of luck with everything and remember we are always here for you ask away vent what ever you need please come back often. We always have our light on 24/7. Have a good day angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

goodlook121 responded:
(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Hello
My name is jessica i saw your profile today at (webmd.com)and became interested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send a mail to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am.Here is my email address(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com).I believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.jessica.(Remember the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life)
Please reply me with my email address

(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 46 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center