Skip to content
Biopsy results
talpha1 posted:
So I have a lump in my right breast. I'm 37 years old. I went to see my doctor and she scheduled a mammogram and ultrasound. They were normal, but they discovered thickened skin. My nipple inverted near the thickened skin, as well. My doctor then referred me to a surgeon. He did a needle biopsy on Monday. He definitely thought something was going on. He said it may be a soft tissue infection, but didn't see a reason as to why that would occur. None the less, he prescribed an antibiotic. He set an appointment with me to be seen next Wednesday, but the office called late this afternoon to say my results were in and the doctor wants to see me tomorrow. I'm really scared that the early appointment and results in person mean something bad.

kiwiallright responded:
HI Talpha1,

Oh yes hearing those results can be very scary, please know that we on this board are very supportive of those whose life journey is changed because of cancer. Please let us know what the Dr says. Also not all results are bad, I hope that you have a good day tomorrow and your appt goes well.

Cheers

Mary

talpha1 replied to kiwiallright's response:
Thanks. I got the results and it seems that I do have breast cancer. They don't know what kind yet, as it was only a needle biopsy. They took two core biopsy samples and I'm scheduled for an MRI. I'm really scared.

vajanie replied to talpha1's response:
Hi,

I'm sorry about your diagnosis, and we all know how scared you are. As Mary said, please come back and let us know about your MRI. There are many people here who care, and a lot of good information as well.

Please take care of yourself in the meantime,

Janie

brcansur replied to talpha1's response:
Hello,
I am so sorry to hear about your dx but as Mary and Janie have said please come back to let us know what you find and to get all the comfort and support we can give. That is what we are here for to help in any any way we can 24/7 . Wishing you all the best with your test and sending loads of angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

talpha1 replied to brcansur's response:
I'm confused about the way it was found, I guess. I had a mammogram and ultrasound in October, and was given the all clear. The doctor even said that I would be OK to not have another mammogram till I turned 40. When I found the lump and had the second mammogram and ultrasound, I was again given the all clear. If not for me calling my doctor and saying that something is definitely not right, my nipple's inverted and there's still a hard lump, I wouldn't have been referred to the surgeon. The needle biopsy, which he said is 85% accurate (maybe there's still hope it's wrong?), was what they're basing the diagnosis on.
I've now had the core biopsy and the results should be back on Monday, along with my MRI on Monday. This should give a clearer picture of what's going on.
I've been reading about statistics. I'm under 40. Only 5% of breast cancer occurs in women under 40. Did I do something to cause this? Should I have been doing something different? I have an identical twin. I'm terrified for her. Should she be worried? I have no kids. Is this going to affect that? I wasn't even sure I wanted kids.
I just have so many questions, and two more days to wait for some answers.

Hello talpha1, I am so sorry that this is causing you such confusion and that is so normal we have all been there and understand. Oh the things that go through our heads and the not knowing what all of this means and what is going to happen and what do we do now it is all very normal. So please just take a few nice calm breaths and in now out again in now out it does work believe I know I have had to take a few myself a lot through the last 5 years.
I was like you had my mammo and it was fine then I found a lump they couldn't find it on the mammo so all clear there then did a ultrasound and found something but not clear as to what so had the biopsy done and that came back I had cancer.
Let me tell you right now you did not do anything wrong you checked yourself and got to the doctor and had it checked you did everything you should have done and still doing what you should be doing. So please do not blame yourself and give yourself credit for getting into the doctor as soon as you noticed something wasn't right with your breast. I give you a lot of credit for that and I am very proud of you for getting it checked fast that is very important the sooner it is checked and taken care of the better . So you have and are doing everything you should be doing. Kepp up the great job we are here for support and to help in any way we can please know that and come back often. I am wishing you all the best angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

jenna291 replied to brcansur's response:
Hi Talpha, I am sorry for what you are going thru. Every one of us here knows about the fear and confusion all of this causes. IT is overwhelming and there is so much information to take in.
I found my own lump, thankfully, 3 months after a mammogram which showed normal, see you in a year. Thank God I reacted when I found it as it was stage II IDC.
It is always a good idea to check things out when we are not sure. Unfortunately as so many of us here know, mammograms are not always accurate, particularly in women with dense breasts.
I will be wishing you well and hoping for negative results. You did NOTHING wrong. Unfortunately, this disease can be the luck of the draw.
Hoping you get back to us soon - we are always here for you.
best,
Jenna

talpha1 replied to jenna291's response:
I had an appointment with the oncologist today. He said the tumor is 2.5 x 3 cm, which is stage II. It's ductal, but the biopsy came back with in situ, however, due to the size, he is quite sure that it is invasive and not contained in the duct. They forwarded my results to a tumor panel for review. Since the tumor is so large and with the location, the breast would have to be reconstructed, even if I opted for the lumpectomy and the nipple can not be saved. I'm leaning toward opting for a unilateral mastectomy. They are testing for the brca markers and he thinks it's highly likely they will be present, given my age. At that point, there will be another decision as to whether or not I keep my ovaries. I have an appointment with the surgeon again tomorrow and the rest of the pathology should be back then. I do know that the tumor has ER/PR hormonal receptors (?), which he said was good. The HER1 (?) report is not done yet. I'm afraid because he indicated that with my age and the quick progression, that it's a fast moving aggressive cancer. This terrifies me.

vajanie replied to talpha1's response:
Hi talpha 1, it sounds like your appointment is today, so you will have some answers. I know you're terrified, I've been there myself. My cancer was a fast growing, aggressive one too. We can't answer all your questions here, but please address every one of them with your doctor, I hope she or he gives you all the time you need, I'm sure you have a list of questions with you. I hope too that someone goes with you for your medical visits. I think it helps a lot.

As for whether you are to blame for your cancer, this is useless speculation which does you no good. I know, having had a period when I thought about that a lot. I agree with Jenna, just lousy luck, and possibly genetics. You need your energy to focus on fighting this thing.

Please let us know about your appointment, and know that we're all thinking of you and wishing you the best.

Janie

talpha1,
Hello,I know you have an appt and hopeing all goes well and that you asked all your questions and hopefully had someone go with you for that extra set of ears. I also know this is a very fast pased time everything coming at you all at once test biopsy more test surgery and so on but it is going to slow down again soon. You need to just remember to breath nice calming breaths when things get to be to much stop and breath. I too had a very fast growing cancer but you still have time to think and decide what is best for you when it comes to the surgery and after care like reconstruction and so on. So please do not feel rushed that is one thing you should not be is rushed or feel rushed. Just take time to sit and clear your head with calming breaths and think clearly of everything that you have heard and what choices you have then you decide what is best for you. Because you nad only you can decide what is best for you because you are your best advacate, you have to live with that choice for the rest of your life not anyone lese so please don't let someone else make that choice for you. You will know in your heart and gut what is right and you will decide what is right for you so please do not feel you can't do that because you can. We have all been there and done that and we are all here to show you that. Everyone of us has decided one way or another what was right for us and made it through the fight so stay strong and keep your chin up because now you are one of us. Your a strong women that is going to win the fight with all of us beside you to help any way we can. I was stage 3, two different tumors two different cancers 2008 both breast removed I decided to do that I only needed the right removed I wanted them both gone to make sure the cancer was gone. I am now a little over 5 years cancer free. So you can do it too we have a saying here it isn't easy but it is doable ! Just know we are here for you 24/7 so any time you want to chat vent or cry we are here. Angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

talpha1 replied to brcansur's response:
Thanks everyone. I'm going to opt for the double mastectomy. The tumor is in my right breast, but I don't want to take any chances, so I'm having both removed. The surgery should be the first part of June. I'm trying so hard to be strong, but the hardest part is the reaction of my family and seeing them so upset. I almost feel like I want to go through it alone because I don't want to see them hurt. I know that's not a healthy way to think, though. My whole world is colored differently now.

Hello talpha, it sounds like you are doing much better with the whole idea of what is going on and what you need to do to get better. But like a lot of us here it isn't easy on our loved ones they take it hard some times. I had to tell my family and some friends that I was doing fine with the whole thing after all I was the one that decided to have the surgery. So please take a breath and calm down because your stress isn't doing me any good right now. After that they did seam to be a lot calmer at least when talking to me and around me which was a big help for me and if not I would ask them to plaes stop our they had to leave. Because it was just to much for me right now all I can take is good postitive vibes not stressful neg ones. I think they got the message real fast so you may have to do the same because it is very important to have postitive people around us and not get stressed out during all of this. You sound like you are getting more and more positive and feeling better every time you post I know it isn't easy but you will get through it and it will all be behind you soon. Please know you are not a lone we are here to support and help in any way we can so please come back to vent any time or chat we cry together chat and even laugh some here. Also know it does get better it doesn't seam like it right now but it does get better Please try and have a good weekend angel hugs Roberta,
Roberta

JLAMB26 responded:
Your journey seems very similar to mine. I was 38 when diagnosed. I also had to insist on a biopsy/further testing also. I'm so glad you trusted your intuition and now you can start treatment that much earlier. I'm sending you positive thoughts. Remember, you are much stronger than you think and we are here for you.

goodlook121 responded:
(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Hello
My name is jessica i saw your profile today at (webmd.com)and became interested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send a mail to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am.Here is my email address(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com).I believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.jessica.(Remember the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life)
Please reply me with my email address

(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Helpful Tips

What Is The Pink Bus???
One of our great resources is our famous PINK BUS! Some of you are familiar with her. Others may need a little introduction so I went back ... More
Was this Helpful?
60 of 75 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center