Skip to content
Familyhistory???
An_252025 posted:
My mother and two of her sisters had cysts in their breast and they come from a well endowed family. My mother had breast cancer in 2004, mastectomy and was getting a good bill of health for about 5 months, then they sent us for another biopsy and it was a different form on cancer that started at he mastectomy site and ate its way to her brain fast. She past in 2005 MD Anderson Hospital had never seen this form of cancer. I have a lump in my left breast and my Dr. says it's not cancerous because it shows up white on the x-ray film and not black. I have a cyst on the outside of my left breast that started as a bug bit but has not grown and is not painful. I worry every ear I go to get my yearly and ask my dad more about when mom started getting cyst. He says in her 40's which I am, but that her breast were really dense. Is there any other test to find out what's going on with the breast area?

vajanie responded:
Hi, just wanted to say that I'm sorry about your mom, and that in your situation, given your history, I would want further study on this lump. I say this not to scare you, but I think a biopsy would certainly be appropriate. If your doctor doesn't think it necessary, I would get a second opinion. I think that we have to be aggressive about our own health care. If you live near a large medical center I'd think about going there, too. You are about my daughter's age, and this is what I'd urge her to do.

I'll certainly be thinking of you and wishing the best for you. Please come back and let us know what's going on with you.

Janie

jenna291 replied to vajanie's response:
I agree with Janie. It is always better to get things checked out, and a second opinion will ease your mind. You know your body better than the docs do, and really, with the family history I would think they would be more pro-active.
Sometimes doctors will do an ultrasound on dense breasts as it is more difficult for a mammogram to pick up anything when this is the case.
best wishes to you and please let us know how you make out -

Jenna

margret21266 replied to vajanie's response:
Thank you for your input. I don't live too far from a big city with a huge medical center and the next small town near me has a medical center that my friend just had major women's surgery at so I might try there first. When I moved in with my now husband, I didn't bother to switch docs because it takes so long for a new doc to learn my history and what meds I had before that didn't work and they insist on trying them again. I also lift weights and have slacked off on the body building but am retired and am starting slowly but don't want to go through the hassle of finding a new doc. I guess I need to find one closer but when I go to the one I have now, I stop and visit my dad and brother.

margret21266 replied to jenna291's response:
Thank you, when they first found the lump they did do and ultrasound and at the time my chest was hurting so the tech. did around the breast bone where the muscle attaches to the bone just to make sure there wasn't a lump or growth there. It turned out that I had started a new chest exercise and that was the cause of me chest hurting and feeling like there was a little lump. The one that the x-ray had found was right where it said it was and last Oct. it hasn't grown any but I think I will find a women's health clinic around here.

judyfams replied to margret21266's response:
There is also a special way to analyze dense breast tissue with a machine called BSGI - breast specific gamma imaging. Not all facilities have it - find a doctor and facility that know about it and use it.
Ultrasound & mammos aren't good with dense breast tissue.
Judy

goodlook121 responded:
(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Hello
My name is jessica i saw your profile today at (webmd.com)and became interested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send a mail to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am.Here is my email address(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com).I believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.jessica.(Remember the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life)
Please reply me with my email address

(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Helpful Tips

DIEP Flap Survival
Sept 7, 2012: Bilateral Mastectomy and immediate DIEP Flap reconstruction. I live in Washington, DC, area and have great insurance and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center