Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Newly diagnosed
GinaRS posted:
Hi there, I was diagnosed with breast cancer 25 jun 13. I am awaiting results from the BRAC Analysis test and from there we move toward surgery of some sort. I have DCIS, left breast, 1.3 cm size. Anyone out there gone through he same thing who can give me some insight on what to expect? I'm trying to keep my faith and stay positive but realistically all I can think about is the future. I'm looking forward to any feedback. Thank you

vajanie responded:
Hi Gina,

For the time being I will just say hello and welcome you here, although I wish you hadn't had to seek us out. I'm so sorry for your diagnosis. The waiting is the toughest part, I think when you see your doctor and get your plan of attack it really causes you to focus on getting well, instead of that unknown future. In the meantime I'd use any distraction to get your mind off of this, whether it's time with friends, reading, or shopping. I hope you have good support from family and friends. This is a good time to concentrate on gathering your support system.
I'm not in your exact situation but have been going through this for one year on July 5, so I really can feel your anxiety and fears. Also, my sister was diagnosed on the same day that you were, hasn't seen her surgeon yet so doesn't know her treatment options yet either. We're all suffering with her too.
I wish you all the best and will be thinking of you.

Janie

georgiagail responded:
I'm in the same boat as you, although diagnosed about a month earlier (end of May). Same breast. I have a great surgeon; got my biopsy on Tuesday, confirmation on Thursday, had the Lumpectomy the following Wednesday.

Both the margins and nodes were clean and the sample sent for genetic testing came back indicating no need for chemotherapy. I'll be meeting this week to discuss radiation therapy.

The surgery was done on an outpatient basis; I took Thursday and Friday off of work but because I have a desk job, I could have returned to work the next day if I wanted.

I hope this helps you a bit.

Gail

12coop responded:
I was diagnosed on March 27,2013 with stage 3 breast cancer on my left breast. On April 23rd I had a double mastedtomy. I finished my first round of chemo and just started my second round of treatment. The main problem I'm having is that nothing sounds good to eat and because of that I'm tired. I'm trying to eat small meals during the day but when nothing sounds appealing I don't eat.
I hope you have good support around you because it helps alot. I'm learning to let people help me. I don't worry about the future, I tend to only think about today. It helps since we don't know what will happen next week. Good luck with your treatments. It won't be easy but I hope it's worth it.

jenna291 replied to 12coop's response:
Hi 12coop, what type of chemo drugs are you taking? I had "ac" and taxol, 4 rounds of each. Chicken soup with a mild broth was tolerable, also plenty of melon, especially watermelon to stay hydrated. Raisin toast, and "boost" or "ensure" was also part of my daily ritual. I drank a lot of herbal tea too. I just found I had to eat small meals and fairly bland choices. Pasta with no sauce and scrambled eggs were good too.
Learning to let go and let others help is tough, but very important so that you can rest and heal.
I hope the treatments go by quickly for you.

best ~
Jenna

jtzaz responded:
Hi Gina,

I will keep you in my prayers. It sounds like they caught it early and your prognosis will be good. You probably already have a plan since I am late to join in the discussion. If your BRCA analysis comes back negative, you can probably choose to do a lumpectomy or if you choose to you can do a masectomy but it shouldn't be required. I was diagnosed with stage one which is one step further than your DCIS and my BRCA came back negative (even though it is in my family tree) and I choose to do a lumpectomy with brachytherapy.There are 3 types of radiation available today. Interoperative at Standford where they put the radioactive seeds in the cavity when you do the surgery and that's the end of it. Brachytherapy where they put some type of catheter (depending upon cancer and location and size of breast) in the breast and radiate for 5 days or full breast which is 6 weeks. If BRCA comes back positive, you will have the same choices but it may be worth leaning toward the masectomy for peace of mind and maybe get your ovaries or fallopian tubes out too.I don't believe they usually suggest chemo for stage DCIS (0) or stage 1. They may suggest tamoxofin after as standard care, I chose not to take it but that is a decision you will have to make with your doctor based on your chances of reoccurance. Ask your doctor to have Carris or TGEN test your tumor when they take it out to determine reoccurance risks.

T63057 responded:
Dear GinaRS
You found this early (smile)....I had the same thing left side 1.1 cm and have been a high risk due to my mother, her mother, and her mother's sister developing bc and because of this high risk they found mine early. I decided to have a double mast....done April 25, 2013 and now I have an 11% risk of re-occurance. It is so great not to have this worry "as to when" hanging over my head. I have a husband, a daughter, a cat and a dog and we all are glad I made this decision. Some day I may do reconstruction but maybe not. It's okay! I do remember hearing the bc news and it is over whelming BUT you will be able to get this behind you and you can live a long life. I have been diabetic since I was nine, had open heart surgery at age 43, vascular surgeries on both legs and now a double mast. I can still SMILE and so will you. Let me know what I can do to help you.

goodlook121 responded:
(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Hello
My name is jessica i saw your profile today at (webmd.com)and became interested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send a mail to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am.Here is my email address(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com).I believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.jessica.(Remember the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life)
Please reply me with my email address

(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Helpful Tips

Radiation Burns
I had terrible burns over 2/3rds of my breast after 7 weeks of radiation & I was miserable. Here is what I did. The doctor told me to ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center