Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
30 yrs old and needing a mammo :(
nervous1 posted:
Hi everyone. Super stressed... i felt a bee sting type feeling in my left breast several months ago, i pressed into it and felt a lump. I kept checking it over the last several months. The pain would come and go and i couldnt figure a rhyme or reason. I went to see my gyno last week, and brought it to her attention. She is sending me for a mammo and ultrasound, on monday to be exact. Her order state that there is a 1.5 movable lump in the left breast 10 oclock. It feels oval like, and i can move it smoothly over my fingers and it feels wedged between breast tissue. I have had under arm pain on the left side for quite sometime, and i had brought that up to my gyno the visit before this one but she said it was probably from picking up the kids... makes sense. Anyways... i have been reading... i thought maybe it was cyst, but it has not changed in size, ever. I thought it could be that fibro something or other, but again, it doesnt change in size.... i dont know, can someone help me? Is breast cancer always rock hard? If cysts moves, just what does that mean? How much would it move? Just looking for some advice from real people. Thanks in advance!

jlmjct responded:
hey nervous.... lumps are nothing to take lightly... breast cancer has no age as my friend 29 was just diagnosed... try not to stress and i know its easier said than done... i just had a double mastectomy in April and had no palpable lumps... it could be something simple as a fluid filled cyst or a fibroadenoma.. your doing right by having it checked out.. what u can expect is a mammogram followed by an ultrasound and you should know from there if a biopsy is next step... my thoughts and prayers are with you and hoping for a good report.. keep us posted

vajanie responded:
Hi,
I'm very sorry to hear that you're going through this, but you've done the right thing bringing it to your doctor's attention. I'm glad she's sending you for your diagnostic tests. This certainly is nothing to take lightly. You mention having children so I know this whole experience is extremely stressful.
I did not have your experience, mine was diagnosed from a mammogram. Will you please let us know what happens from your appointments. I'll be thinking of you and hoping for the best.
Janie

cindy12345678 responded:
nervous,
Most lumps are benign, but you can't take any chances.
Whatever it is it's best to find it early. You are doing the
right thing. I had a hard lump with one cancer and the
other just a thick spot. So I don't think there is a particular
way a cancer lump feels. But its best to get any lump
anywhere checked out.
please keep us posted
Cindy

nervous1 replied to cindy12345678's response:
Hi everyone. I went in today. They did the first set of mammo pics, then had me come back for several more. I glanced several times at her screen and had seen a brighter, whiter area where my lump is. After being back in the waiting room they then had me come in for ultrasound. While she could most certainly feel it, she said she could not detect anything via ultrasound. Over and over the lump she went, but alas nothing. She said if it was a cyst it most certainly would have picked it up (????) That left me kinda confused. She said she would send the reports to my gyn and she may order a mri. Could my age (30) make detecting these things more difficult? She said maybe its just breast tissue that has always been there... but i know it hasnt, no other part of either of my breast feel like this. And do they not only send you for ultrasound if infact the mammo detects something? That then the ultrasound is to tell if that something is fluid filled, or hard? Uhg, i am confused to say the least. I see my gyn next week, hopefully she can help me better understand. I guess my next question would be about an mri. Can mammo and ultrasound not pick up anything but mri can and does? Is this uncommon? Thanks so much.

nervous1 replied to vajanie's response:
Hi everyone. I went in today. They did the first set of mammo pics, then had me come back for several more. I glanced several times at her screen and had seen a brighter, whiter area where my lump is. After being back in the waiting room they then had me come in for ultrasound. While she could most certainly feel it, she said she could not detect anything via ultrasound. Over and over the lump she went, but alas nothing. She said if it was a cyst it most certainly would have picked it up (????) That left me kinda confused. She said she would send the reports to my gyn and she may order a mri. Could my age (30) make detecting these things more difficult? She said maybe its just breast tissue that has always been there... but i know it hasnt, no other part of either of my breast feel like this. And do they not only send you for ultrasound if infact the mammo detects something? That then the ultrasound is to tell if that something is fluid filled, or hard? Uhg, i am confused to say the least. I see my gyn next week, hopefully she can help me better understand. I guess my next question would be about an mri. Can mammo and ultrasound not pick up anything but mri can and does? Is this uncommon? Thanks so much

cindy12345678 replied to nervous1's response:
Hi,
I know it is all confusing. All the different types of tests
show things differently. They want to make sure what is
going on. An MRI is a common test. I am glad they are
checking it out thoroughly. It is scary I know, but it is
best to find out what it is for sure. That is what is important.
Your gyn would be the one to explain your tests to you.
Please hang in there!
Cindy

nervous1 replied to cindy12345678's response:
I just dont get it though.... how can everyone feel the lump but it not show via ultrasound? Im going in to see my gyno on thursday morning. It cant come soon enough!

goodlook121 replied to nervous1's response:
(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com)

Hello
My name is jessica i saw your profile today at (webmd.com)and became interested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send a mail to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am.Here is my email address(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com).I believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.jessica.(Remember the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life)
Please reply me with my email address

goodlook121 responded:

Hello
My name is jessica i saw your profile today at (webmd.com)and became interested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send a mail to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am.Here is my email address(jessica_2vndaye@yahoo.com).I believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.jessica.(Remember the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life)
Please reply me with my email address

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center