Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
double mastectomy
journey44 posted:
I've just been diagnosed with left breast infiltrative / invasive tumor type clinical staging :2a T2 NO MO . ER 98% and PR 95%, Her2: +2 Ki67 18% lots to be determined still on Oncotype: TBD Brac test pending . NOt test nodes yet will be done at surgery next week. But they say my cancer is harmone drivin . My first tumor in the left breast are 2.2cm by 2.4cm , the second is 2.8cm together measures 5.4 cm , the third is 1.9cm . Them I have four additional places they are thinking are either cancer or possibly limp nodes . So for all you guys out there what are my chances of having to do chemo?

georgiagail responded:
Excellent considering there is a concern for cells/tumors in lymph nodes.

Gail

jenna291 responded:
Hi journey44,
I had my nodes removed during surgery (lumpectomy) - 14 removed. I was stage II IDC. I did have to go thru chemo as it was invasive but had chemo first to shrink tumor, then lumpectomy followed by radiation.
It sounds like chemo will be needed, but only your team of docs can determine your personal method of treatment.
Good luck to you - I am nearly 6 years out, and take arimidex now. Let us know how you are doing.

Jenna

journey44 replied to jenna291's response:
Thanks Jenna. I guess I'm a little nervous about this whole process. Thinking its just gonna go away and I can get my life back. I have a ten year old that is upset and I really don't know what to say other than I'll be ok. I'm not use to being the one down but the one who fixes things and makes them better, I can't fix this by myself. So many unknowns still it is killing me. I just want anwers and that takes time. But then I think maybe I don't want to know ... Hoping to have surgery and get into the healing process of things ,,, That would help I think. Thanks for responding surgery is on the 3rd next tuesday. I'll have some answers then.

georgiagail replied to journey44's response:
Often it's the waiting that's the most frustrating...as you already know.

I lucked out getting my lumpectomy very quickly after the initial biopsy with clean margins and nodes so no chemotherapy. I'll love my surgeon forever for moving so fast.

However, waiting for the radiation to start was a bit frustrating. I'm halfway through that now and glad to see an end to that phase of the treatment.

Gail

sam1985 replied to georgiagail's response:
Please go through this article for mastectomy results =
http://www.getholistichealth.com/34422/preventive-mastectomy-can-it-help-avert-breast-cancer-risk/

georgiagail replied to sam1985's response:
Sam, do you even read some of the articles you post? This one discusses preventive mastectomy; not having anything to go with the previous question.

Gail

journey44 replied to jenna291's response:
Hi Jenna, I got my onco report back and it was 14. My surgeon said that he thinks there will be no chemo. I go on this thursday to the oncologist for the real report. They say that I might want to get my ovaries removed in the future. Still have a open wound on my left side. Struggling to get it to heal. Plastic surgeon said that could take 4 more weeks. I'll have to reply back after my next appt before I can be completely happy about no chemo. Thanks for your reply its nice to have someone to share with.

georgiagail replied to journey44's response:
Your oncotype report of 14 is great. Very low risk of recurrence. I was happy to hear mine was 7; no chemotherapy for me either; just radiation. Congratulations!

Gail

Helpful Tips

What Is The Pink Bus???
One of our great resources is our famous PINK BUS! Some of you are familiar with her. Others may need a little introduction so I went back ... More
Was this Helpful?
59 of 74 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center