Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Newly Diagnosed
An_253534 posted:
I was diagnosed last week with breast cancer, I am having more tests to decide about whether to have the whole breast removed or lump. I am terrified. I am 37 single mom of 4 kids one of which has cerebral palsy. I work full time at an office and I have been told I will need possible chemo and radiation. I don't know what to expect.

rachael67 responded:
Dear Friend, please know that you are not alone! Almost everyone you will meet on this board has shared every emotion you may encounter on your journey...These lovely individuals will let you know that the initial steps are some of the most difficult you will have to take! And that you will astound yourself with how strong you will be, how brave, how learned about your situation and the beast you are battling!

Being a single mom of so many, one of whom is physically challenged, will definitely complicate matters. And though you might have to put on a brave front for them, know that you can come here and complain and scream and cry and whatever is needed to help you get through the next day...We are open 24/7 just for one another.

Please ask questions both of your medical team and on here...Information is the key to an ability to make the difficult choices you will deal with. Also check with your team there to know if they can recommend a local support group.

Meanwhile, please know you will be in my heart...We look forward to hearing from you...Meanwhile we will keep the light on!!

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

What Is The Pink Bus???
One of our great resources is our famous PINK BUS! Some of you are familiar with her. Others may need a little introduction so I went back ... More
Was this Helpful?
59 of 74 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center