Skip to content
Heart Attack & Breast Cancer
MiracleClean posted:
Good Evening!
My mother-in-law is 76 years old, still working 3 days a week in a factory, has always hated taking pills (even aspirin), can run circles around me and is in reasonably good health. Just about a month ago, she had her first heart attack. The doctors implanted a stint and she is now on 4 different medications. Welcome to the real world, Mom!

This afternoon she had a follow-up appointment with her cardiologist. When she came home, she announced "More Great News!" Apparently the doctor told her that because of the stint, her chances for developing breast cancer skyrocketed. Unfortunately, she didn't pursue the subject or ask for an explanation.

Can anyone explain the correlation between a stint to open a blocked artery and an increased risk of breast cancer? Is there someplace I can go to get more info for her? This makes absolutely no sense to me!

Thanks! mg

georgiagail responded:
There is no increased risk of breast cancer from cardiac stents.

Either your mother-in-law heard something incorrectly or this cardiologist does not know what they are talking about.

Gail

sam1985 replied to georgiagail's response:
Here is the best article which relates to this topic -
http://www.greenerideal.com/lifestyle/0813-treatment-of-breast-cancer-using-radiation-linked-to-increased-chances-of-heart-problems/

georgiagail replied to sam1985's response:
Sam...again, do you READ the articles before you post them here?

The OP was asking whether her mother-in-law receiving cardiac stents would increase her risk of developing breast cancer, NOT whether radiation for breast cancer would increase the risk of heart disease.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Radiation Burns
I had terrible burns over 2/3rds of my breast after 7 weeks of radiation & I was miserable. Here is what I did. The doctor told me to ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center