Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
DCIS, just had mastectomy, do I really need to take Tamoxifen from now on?
blueice2013 posted:
I just had a unilateral mastectomy due to recent diagnosis for breast cancer (DCIS grade 3 with less than 1mm micro-invasion, 5 lymph nodes removed and tested negative, 0/5, BRAC 1 and 2 gene tested negative). The oncologist said I do not need chemo or radiation, but want me to take Tamoxifen for at least 5 years. Now I am very struggling on whether to take it or not. I really need other patients' help on deciding if I should take Tamoxifen or not. The only reason that I don't want to take the Tamoxifen is because I am scared about getting the possibility of having endometrial cancer, sometimes, my endometrial thickness is already a concern by the radiologist, thus I am desperately hoping to seek real-life experiences and advice from anyone here who has already gone through this.

My questions are: If you have taken Tamoxifen for years, have you suffered from any significant side effects (particularly uterine or endometrial cancer)? If you had opted not to take Tamoxifen years ago, do you still think it's a good decision or a decision you regret about now? Your views and advice are greatly appreciated!

jenna291 responded:
Hi blueice,
I took tamoxifen for 2 1/2 years until I went thru menopause then was switched to arimidex. I had no significant side effects from t he tamoxifen, just a bit of queeziness as my body adjusted to it. I ould crackers in the morning just like it was morning sickness. It went away after a few weeks. I did have chemo and radiation before starting the drugs.
Everyone is different, and if there are concerns for you then perhaps your doctor may come up with an alternative medication. The benefits have to outway the risks. For me, I was told I had a better chance to not have a recurrence to stay on the meds. NO one really knows, listen to your docs and your body and do what you thing is right for you.
best of you - let us know what you decide to do.

Jenna

blueice2013 replied to jenna291's response:
Thanks Jenna, although I am still struggling on what to take, but I tend to take Tamox to have a try and meanwhile try those supplements.

Helpful Tips

Radiation Burns
I had terrible burns over 2/3rds of my breast after 7 weeks of radiation & I was miserable. Here is what I did. The doctor told me to ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 18 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center