Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What does an oncologist do?
nikki1029 posted:
I was diagnosed with stage 0 breast cancer in June. It was found accidently while having a cyst removed. Fortunately it was only the size of a grain of rice. I underwent 25 days of radiation but I am refusing to take tamoxifen. If I'm not taking tamoxifen, then what do I need to see an oncologist for? What do they "track"? I am so sick of doctors appointments and showing my breasts to dozens of people, I don't want to go.

georgiagail responded:
Typically the Oncologist will follow you after the radiation to monitor that this breast cancer does not return.

While it is certainly your choice not to be followed, it would be beneficial for someone in the medical field to do so. Like you, I was diagnosed around the same time (mine was stage 1); underwent a lumpectomy and 33 rounds of radiation. I'm a little tired of the trips to the surgeon (whom I loved as he worked so quickly to get me in to surgery), the radiologist and the oncologist but these amounts of visits will decrease very soon.

I figure one more visit to the surgeon and the radiologist is now rescheduled for February and has himself commented that there will be less and less visits with him so it will likely end up with the Oncologist since I am on Anastrozole but even those visits should space out in number.

Gail

Vic53 responded:
Hey nikki; I was diagnosed with stage 1 grade 3 triple negative breast cancer on December 3, 2011. All last year I was in treatment of one kind or another. After so much treatment I started to feel like every one that worked at the cancer center had seen my left boob (not so but that's what I felt like) I guess to me I'll bare it all so they can find it at an early stage. You have to find that one thing you wont to live for (for me it is my kids and grand kids). Food for thought nikki I would give anything to be able to take Tamoxifen!!!!!!!

sam1985 replied to Vic53's response:
The main thing that differentiates oncologists from other doctors is that they manage chemotherapy regimens. They are the "medical" doctors who treat cancer, as opposed to "surgical" doctors. There are some surgeons who call themselves surgical oncologists, who are usually general surgeons who base most of their practice on surgeries related to various types of cancer - mastectomies or lumpectomies for breast cancer, or colectomies for colon cancer, etc.

georgiagail replied to sam1985's response:
Oncologists do more than just manage chemotherapy regimens.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Alternative consumer self-test device for early detection of breast cancer?
This may be an interesting personalized alternative for early detection to then be verified through Breast MRI/Mammography: Eclipse, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center