Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Broken ribs 1 year after radiation
Vic53 posted:
I'm 53 and one year out from a diagnosis of triple negative breast cancer. Had lumpectomy, chemo, and 7 weeks of radiation. I have a question for fellow breast cancer survivors. Has anyone had problems with braking their ribs? I had a stuck door and put my shoulder to it to get it unstuck and broke 4 ribs on the side I had radiation on.

hellenb responded:
Hi

I am also 54, diagnosis of triple negative unknown primary site cancer suspected to be breast because of infected lymph node armpit.. I had 6 month FEC chemo followed by 35 radiation treatments in 2009. In 2012 the cancer returned and i had a full axillia clearance followed by another 2 months of chemo. During my Ct scan it was discovered that I have rib facture.My oncologist told me this would have been caused by radiation and a non impact break. The radiation can do this to the bones. I am sore due to this and it feels like some times it "catches" and hurt when i bend in certain positions. I'm afraid radiation is a gift that keeps on giving!!!
I hope this helps

eulamax replied to hellenb's response:
Since we are telling age, I'm 81 and recently had a lumpectomy and 6 weeks radiation.on my left breast. My radiologist told me that I would have 1 in 200 chances to have a fractured rib in the future.

sam1985 replied to eulamax's response:
I do not think breast cancer treatment has anything to do with rib fracture as a friend of mine who is 73 yrs old he too had these surgeries but no rib fracture.

Helpful Tips

Candle Lighting Site
I located the Candle site!! It was apparently removed by WebMD but we can still access it and make use of it for each of us and for all our ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center