Skip to content
tumor marker increase
An_254792 posted:
I'm so scared. My mom just celebrated 5 years as a breast cancer survivor in August and she just found out today that her CA 15-3 tumor marker is elevated above the normal limits and she has to go in for a bone scan and CT scan. Does this mean the cancer is back? Is there any other explanation for the elevation? She was at 20 after treatment and now her tumor marker measurement is at 43.8. She was originally diagnosed with stage 3, hormone receptive breast cancer. Please tell me someone out there has been in a similar situation and that everything is alright now. My heart is breaking.

rachael67 responded:
I am so sorry to hear what you and your Mom must be going thru. Sometimes the "not knowing" is worse than whatever challenge we may face. Our imaginations can present us with far too many negative possibilities!

The main encouragement I can offer is that a great number of doctors do NOT rely on tumor markers. In fact, they don't even use that as part of the health plan simply because they do not find them reliable enough.(The debate about their reliability continues between health care providers on this issue.)

That being said, I would encourage you to be cautious but not to be ready to throw in the towel until more tests are done. Hopefully, those tests will determine that the cancer has not returned! We will all be with you in sharing this hope!

Please let us know how things are going...And know we care!!

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

osujill replied to rachael67's response:
Thank you so much for your reply. I didn't realize that some doctors don't even use the tumor markers. That's nice to know.

We ended up going yesterday for my mom to have a CT scan and bone scan. When we got there, they said there had been a scheduling mix-up and her appointment had been canceled! I was so upset. So, we are going Monday instead - more waiting.
Thank you again.

Jill

jenna291 replied to osujill's response:
Jill,
how awful that the scheduled was mixed up and now you have to go back! Honestly, it is too bad they couldn't have fit your mom in - the waiting is the worst!
I just want you to know that I'm thinking of you all and pray that your mom does well with the appointment. I am glad to see the docs being pro-active and getting the tests done quickly.
Here is praying for "negative" results. Please keep us posted.
Jenna

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center