Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Breast cyst growing - doctor recommending removal.
An_255165 posted:
I'm a 40 yrs old and have been getting annual mammograms for the last four years. Since my first mammogram, I was told that I'm very cystic. Recently, in the last year I've notice a lump in my right breast, it was there during my last exam. It is gotten more painful and larger. During my last exam (mammogram last week) and follow with doctor today, the cyst is 3.4 cm. my doctor is recommending that it should be removed. I'm making a appt for diagnostic sonogram tomorrow. I'm feeling very anxious over trying to make this decision.

Have been reading about needle aspiration/biopsy. Can anybody offer any words about this procedure?

My doctor says that it is best to remove it since I'm still young. It has been growing over the years, I don't even have to try and find it just rub my finger lightly over my breast.

Does anybody have any advice? Thank you

P.s. There is no history of breast cancer in my family.

rachael67 responded:
So sorry to hear you are going thru this tense time...Limbo sucks!

However, I am glad to know that you are going to have further tests to determine exactly what it is you are dealing with.

Re: the needle biopsy, this is done quite commonly. It is the least invasive and relatively easiest of biopsies. There is some discomfort afterward which usually is relieved with ice for the swelling and a simple pain pill such as aspirin.

The only down-side of this approach vs an excisional biopsy is the possibility of a false negative. Sometimes, if the suspicion for cancer is high, a doctor may then wish to have a surgical biopsy to make sure. (That would have been the case with me, so I opted to go right for the more invasive procedure rather than face both.)

As far as removal of the cyst, if it is presenting pain and appears to continue growing, surgery seems like a reasonable option. However, I am a firm believer in second and third opinions if there is any doubt!

Know we will be sending you good thoughts, and p[lease keep us updated on how you are doing.

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

czarinamae responded:
An_255165, are u taking any supplement?

rishirich86 responded:
my wife 24, is also experiencing the same problem but she has been diagnosed with breast cancer stage II. today she has undergone a trucut biopsy for the final diagnosis. In this test the doctors first sedates you, then with a 16 gauge needle is inserted into your lump and a very small tissue is removed from the lump which is sent for the biopsy. Her doctor has also advised to get it removed. My wife also doesnt have any history of breast cancer in her family.

Helpful Tips

Radiation Burns
I had terrible burns over 2/3rds of my breast after 7 weeks of radiation & I was miserable. Here is what I did. The doctor told me to ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center