Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Tamoxifen and ovarian cyst
blueice2013 posted:
I was diagnosed as DCIS and had Mastectomy in Sept. last year. I had taken Tamoxifen between Oct. 2013 and January this year. Only about two weeks ago, I stopped Tamoxifen because I found a 7cm ovarian cyst through ultrasound. I did some google-searches and discovered some important recent studies consistently finding that the pre-menopause women with breast cancer and ER+ (just like me) have 50-81% of chance to develop an ovarian cyst after taking Tamoxifen. So, after consulting with my Oncologists and Gyn (2 of them agreed for me to stop Tamoxifen and 2 others against it), I decided to stop Tamoxifen.

Based on your experiences, did you have similar problems in developing an ovarian cyst with Tamoxifen? Did the cyst go away by itself after you stop Tamoxifen?

Moreover, if I take out the cyst by surgery and then start taking Tamoxifen again, will I see some new cysts pop up in the future?

I very much appreciate it if you could share your experiences with me on what you went through on this and what advice you may provide to help me make a right decision. Thank you so much in advance!

cancer47 responded:
I had the same type of cancer ER stages 2b. I did not want to take tamoxifen because of side effects. I had the year before the breast cancer several very large ovarian cysts. I had a hysterectomy right after I finished chemo. They said it could cut down on my odds of the cancer returning. They took both ovaries and my uterus. If I had to do it over again I would have left my uterus. My sex life is not at all as good as I and my husband had. When they took my uterus and cervix it changed way I was able to have sex. Don't know if this helps you but maybe it will open you up to ask more questions.

seafairy responded:
Diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 1998 at age 46 and took Tamoxifen for five years. Recently had robotic hysterectomy as the tests said ovarian cancer, i.e. Tamoxifen. Please "STOP" taking Tamoxifen! No cancer here but enough is enough. Let's stop the doctors on practicing medicine and make something good!

seafairy replied to cancer47's response:
Cancer in 1999, Chemo which stopped the periods in 10/99, and started Tamoxifen. Five years of being stupid. Can't believe my husband still lives with me. "What the "H" was that drug? Years later, now 2014, found out that now may have ovarian cancer because of Tamoxifen? Had my female organs removed by no cancer, actually to be honest sex should not change, that part still the same, muscles still the same.

Helpful Tips

Breast Cancer Survivor
I had breast cancer surgery on right side just below my breast 2.2 cm part since 2001. It also removed 21 nodes my armpit to protect cancer ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center