Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Femara and hair loss
cindy12345678 posted:
Has any one had any hair loss with femara? I was dx in 2010.I was pre -menopause so I took tamoxifen until aug 2013.Then I started on Femara. It was in Dec. I started shedding almost clumping. I still have hair but it is thin, especially in the front. I seem to have stopped shedding. My onc said a lot of her patients use rogaine Has anyone tried this? Does it help?
Thanks for listening,
cindy
FirstPrevious12NextLast

atti_editor responded:
Hi cindy12345678,

I don't have any experience with Femara or using Rogaine, but hopefully one of the other members will have some advice. I just wanted to let you know that hair loss is a side effect listed in our Drugs & Medications Center for Femara. You might find this article on hair loss treatments for women helpful (it does have a section on Rogaine). Also, here are some tips for caring for thinning hair that you might like to look through.

Best wishes,
Atti

jenna291 replied to atti_editor's response:
Hi Cindy,
I don't have experience with rogaine either, but I have been taking Arimidex for 3years and it also causes hair loss. In the beginning I had a lot of hair loss (plus I was recovering from chemo) but as I adjusted to it the hair loss has lessened.

good luck to you ~

Jenna

cindy12345678 replied to jenna291's response:
thanks jenna, After about 4 mos I had some thinning all at once. It seems to have stopped.but my hair is a lot thinner than it was. I still look normal right now, I just hope it doesn't keep doing that.I hope I am adjusting , or adjusted like you.
I know my best chance is to take this kind of med. but does everything have to affect your hair?

jenna291 replied to cindy12345678's response:
Hi Cindy,
I know, it really is the pits but I feel that if my oncologist has been doing it it helps decrease my chance of recurrence.
At first the meds were supposed to be for 5 years, then 7 now 10. It is a long time, but in many ways it's a security blanket for me.
My hair was really thick before, thankfully! It is a lot thinner and has a lot less body, but it still looks normal. Sometimes my path looks thinner and I comb my hair a bit differently.
If someone ever comes up with a way to avoid hair loss from radiation, meds and chemo, they would win a Nobel Peace Prize!!

best to you~
Jenna

seafairy replied to jenna291's response:
Still seeing the oncologist for 10 years?

jenna291 replied to seafairy's response:
Yes, I will be seeing my oncologist as long as I am on Arimidex. I am 7 years out, so I have 3 more years to see her, and it is twice a year. This is mainly because of the side effects it can cause, and also to insure I get the prescription.
I am fine with that as she gives me a thorough exam twice per year.

Jenna

seafairy responded:
Femara (chemical name: letrozole) is an aromatase inhibitor approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat:
  • postmenopausal women diagnosed with hormone-receptor-positive, early-stage breast cancer right after surgery (or possibly chemotherapy and radiation) to reduce the risk of the cancer coming back
  • postmenopausal women diagnosed with hormone-receptor-positive early-stage breast cancer who have taken 5 years of tamoxifen to reduce the risk of the cancer coming back
  • postmenopausal women diagnosed with advanced-stage or metastatic hormone-receptor-positive breast cancer

seafairy replied to atti_editor's response:
Ladies, the hair will grow back! Life or hair! One drug kills the hair and another makes it grow back. So you lost your hair. The folicals are still there and the hair will grow back. I know it is scary and cold but wigs, new hair clips, friends that love you the hair grows back. Maybe not today or tomorrow but it grows back. Buy a hat! Did you beat CANCER?

Have you asked the oncologist why am I taking Arimidex, it has been 7 years. Most people would have died of cancer by now, and you are asking about side effects. By the way, did you know that it appears that even after 5 years of treatment is done, the benefits of Arimidex over tamoxifen continue and even increase. The lenght of taking Arimidex or tamoxifen is five years. If you have been taking this drug long than you need to be speaking with another doctor.

Cindy:

Maybe a review of what is going on. Feel uncomfortable with your oncologist? Hello!!! Cancer gone, why still going to the oncologist and taking meds. Maybe a review of things. As long as the doctor's bill is paid will it survive the patient? Cancer now or in the future. You have questions than find the answers!

It appears that even after 3 years of treatment is done, the benefits of Arimidex over tamoxifen continue and even increase. Have you asked your doctor ie the hair loss and maybe the benefits of tamoxifen. No hair loss here

seafairy responded:
A survivor of breat cancer, I have issues with your treatment. Breast cancer in 1999, two lumpectomy's, 18 weeks of chemo and 36 radiation treatments. 5 years of Tamoxifen. No hair loss, personally I think you need new doctors.
I was treated better 14 years with breast cancer than you ladies are being treated.
Start asking questions. Breast cancer has been around for 90 years. Start asking questions about your survivoral!

Have kids, enjoy them for today and your life tomorrow

Can't believe that you believe a oncologist for that many years, never asked why? what happens if I stop taking the drug, life goes on, do my kids stop loving me, is the oncologist cute, maybe that is it.

Never once asked if the drug works and does it work for this long.

cindy12345678 replied to atti_editor's response:
Hi Ladies,
My onc put me back on tamoxifen. The femara was too much for me. I don't know if she will want me to try another one in the future. I had been on tamoxifen for 3 yrs. I think they think the other ones work better but not everyone tolerates them . I didn't have any hair loss with the tamoxifen before so I hope I don't now.
thanks ladies

cindy

Helpful Tips

What Is The Pink Bus???
One of our great resources is our famous PINK BUS! Some of you are familiar with her. Others may need a little introduction so I went back ... More
Was this Helpful?
60 of 75 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center