Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Bilateral Mastectomy and Latissimus Dorsi Reconstruction - how has this affected your life years later?
purpleshu2 posted:
Hi Everyone,

I came across this community as I was researching on latissimus dorsi reconstruction with my sister.

We have both been diagnosed with breast cancer a month apart. Her treatment plan may include a bilateral mastectomy. She is thinking of a latissimus dorsi reconstruction but is concerned about long term impacts to range of movement and quality of life.

We would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has had similar experiences. This would be really helpful as we are trying to think through as much as we can before she makes a decision in two weeks.

Thanks!!

atti_editor responded:
Hi purpleshu2,

I don't have any personal experience to share, but here is some information on tissue flap surgery for breast reconstruction that contains some information on latissimus dorsi reconstruction. If you haven't already done so, it may be beneficial to you to search the community for past discussions (I know there have been quite a few over the years) on this topic using the search box on the top right of this page -- you may be able to glean some insight and advice from posts of people who have gone through this procedure.

I will keep you and your sister in my thoughts as she makes this decision and hope that you will continue to update us on how you both are doing!

Best wishes,
Atti

Anon_13498 responded:
purpleshu2,

I had a bilateral mastectomy in October, 2009 (second bout with Breast Cancer-God has been good to me-

I opted for reconstructive surgery---it has been a journey...
i had the latissmus dorsi in November, 2010.

I will be happy to talk with you...I need to run right now.
I have unlimited long distance... we need to switch information
off of this site??? Barb:)

Helpful Tips

What Is The Pink Bus???
One of our great resources is our famous PINK BUS! Some of you are familiar with her. Others may need a little introduction so I went back ... More
Was this Helpful?
60 of 75 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center