Skip to content
Support for my sister...
susie596 posted:
I have a question, and here is my story. I have been distanced from my sibling for a few years now, one of my brother just called to tell me that one of my older sister was diagnose with stage 3 breast cancer. I haven't spoken to her in a few years but all this brings so much to remember since cancer is the cause of family death. How do I approach her and show her or let her know that I'm here for her and I will give her all the support she needs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank.

lukeperry responded:
Hello Susie,

When I found out that I had stage 3 breast cancer, I was devastated. I hadn't spoken to my sister in 10yrs. and I felt so lonesome for her. I told my husband not to tell her or any of my family members that I was sick, because I felt like they should have been there for me when I was well and not just because I had cancer, and they thought I was dying.

Anyway, the first person he called was my sister and I was so glad! Call your sister, she will be so happy! No matter what your fight was about, she is your sister and she will need you now more then ever. When mine called me, we just started talking like we saw each other yesterday. I needed her so much, & she went to chemo and sat with me all those hrs. that I had to stay hooked up. Now, we are closer then ever.

If you want to help her, you will have to be very strong and not talk or think about death. They told me that my odds for living were very bad, yet here I am today, 3yrs. later and going strong. I'm sorry if you've lost family member's to cancer before, but you can't think about that now (I mean as far as you or your sister go) Because everybody is different and only God knows who will live or die. In my case, God blessed me, by not letting me be the least bit sick.

My doctor couldn't get over it. I never got nauseated from the chemo(that's almost unheard of) & I could eat any food, all the time. The bottom line is I stopped reading the horror stories on the internet, trusted God and just fought the cancer. With God's help, my sister and the lady's on here, I didn't die, plus I got my sister back! Call your sister so both of you can fight the cancer together! God bless you both.

jenna291 replied to lukeperry's response:
HI Susie,

Luke has said it all so perfectly - call your sister, she will be glad you did! She will need as much support as she can get to fight this disease. Stay positive!

This is a great place to come for info, please come back with any questions and hopefully someone can help with diet,etc.

Sending you all many prayers -
Jenna

Helpful Tips

Candle Lighting Site
I located the Candle site!! It was apparently removed by WebMD but we can still access it and make use of it for each of us and for all our ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center