Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Breast Cancer Prevention
maggiemay1945 posted:
Preventing seems a much better approach than detecting or curing. In alternative medicine they suggest that women who shave armpits and then apply antiperspirants with aluminum (known carcinogen) have increased their chances of developing BC. Even if this has not been proven, it seems a wise step to purchase a deodorant from a health food store without aluminum. Most BC occurs in upper, outer part of breast which is right by the armpit! Seems a no-brainer to me!

georgiagail responded:
No brainer is correct. There is no link between these deodorants and the development of breast cancer. This is a myth. I've been using deodorants for decades and my breast cancer was not found in the area of breast you cite.

Gail

maggiemay1945 replied to georgiagail's response:
Perhaps you misunderstood. I never stated that it was the only cause, just that the correlation between the two was strong. And just a thought...chemical companies have a great deal of power and how easy would it be for them to suppress this information? Grass root sharing is a better way to receive info as we have no vested interest. Breast Cancer is a multi million dollar industry and many people would be ruined should it disappear.

georgiagail replied to maggiemay1945's response:
Yes, the next step is usually this paranoia that the "big" industry, including the "medical industry" is aware of all of this and is hiding this information from the "rest" of us poor suckers.
Well, I'm one of the poor suckers dealing with breast cancer AND I've been in medicine for decades and am still waiting to be "bought off" by big industry so I can start driving that big BMW around. In the meantime, I'm stuck with my 12 year old Toyota truck. In the meantime you can read this:
http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/antiperspirant-facts-safety

Gail

georgiagail replied to sam1985's response:
This is inaccurate advice, based on no documented medical research to back up these claims.

And stop spamming this business.

Gail

Helpful Tips

What Is The Pink Bus???
One of our great resources is our famous PINK BUS! Some of you are familiar with her. Others may need a little introduction so I went back ... More
Was this Helpful?
60 of 75 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Breast Cancer Center