Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please drop by and visit at the Breast Cancer Friend to Friend and Pinkie Central.
ductal carcinoma in situ
cdw919 posted:
I was just diagnosed today and want to know all I can--not written in "doctorese" please. Couldn't have possibly been caught earlier--they had to magnify it on the mammogram. Will be seeing the surgeon on 7/28 to set up for the surgery. I don't fear the cancer half as much as I fear the insurance company! Figure as soon as those bleeps find out, I can expect a) Mt Everest high premiums, forcing me to drop them or b) being dropped outright. As you might guess I have a unique hatred of Insurance companies--hated them since I turned 50 for obvious reasons. I would not worry so much about this if I didn't have to worry about paying for it!!!! I know the odds are on my side---some docs don't even consider it "real" cancer--but what good is it if you end up bankrupt?? For me, and millions like me, the Obama reforms can't come soon enough! Already figure I'll pay'em fifty bucks a month and let 'em swivel--all a poor person like me can do. As long as I am paying, they probably won't hassle me or my poor mom. Thanx for letting me ventilate a bit!

rachael67 responded:
Sorry to have to welcome you, but want you to know that both on this site (which is rather slow and has little traffic) or on the main BC Community ( Breast Cancer Community ) which is much more active, you will find much support and very caring people!

I, too, was diagnosed with DCIS in 2003. I had a lumpectomy followed by 35 rounds of radiation. Thus far, all is going well.

Regarding financial concerns, may I suggest that you visit the main board and check out some of the suggestions listed in the "Tips" on the right side of the postings. There you will see many ideas that just might make that issue less disconcerting. (Heaven knows, you certainly don't need to add another worry!!)

I did not experience any fall-out from the insurance company. And I don't recall anyone else having to deal with the problems you listed. Please read over those lists and feel free to raise any other questions or ask for others to voice their personal experiences. I know they will be in your corner and will help in every way they can.

But, please visit the main board as you will have your concerns seen by so many more folks on there.

Meanwhile, know you are in my thoughts. And do keep us posted on how you are doing. Okay?

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly! Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am now heading towards my 58th year and have a fantastic husband and 3 wonderful daughters. I had thyroid cancer in 1985 which had spread through my...More

Helpful Tips

What Is The Pink Bus???
One of our great resources is our famous PINK BUS! Some of you are familiar with her. Others may need a little introduction so I went back ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.